UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 08-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #2951
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Nope, never seen it. Read all about it though. Pretty amazing just. how. much of the scenes are either directly lifted from Osamu Tezuka's work and transplanted into Disney's Lion King or else are given slight modifications and touch-ups. The thing is, though, I've said it before and I'll say it again: if the copycat is superior to the original, I'll take the copycat. Quote unquote who cares who invented the first operating system if the ones out today are better? Or the first car? Or the first cola soda? Etc. I kinda feel that way regarding the Kimba/Lion King debates. Yeah, it's pretty shitty of Eisner & Co's Disney to bald-facedly lie that they had no idea about Tezuka's Kimba work, but at the same time, I think The Lion King is one of the best movies Disney's ever made -- and they've made plenty of great movies in their long history -- and from what little I've seen or read of Kimba, I think The Lion King feels like the superiorly polished finished product. *shrug* Then again, I've never seen Kimba so maybe I don't get to talk like this and expect my opinion to count for shit. XD
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #2952
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

My friend knows all about the Kimba/TLK debate, but TLK is still one of her biggest obsessions. She's a total Disney fangirl. I like TLK as well, though not nearly to the same extent. Dunno, I was never that enthralled by Disney growing up. Always just kinda took their entertainment for granted. =x
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #2953
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post
Is it sad that I knew the hentai-H-ecchi connection? ^^;

Unownmew, I believe a yandere is a character who's psycho-obsessed with someone, to the point where they may use violence to resolve anyone or anything that gets in the way of their relationship. GAR is an internet term that developed to basically mean the embodiment of manliness.

Yes, it is. :P

Thanks for the clarifications.

Randomly found Black Rock Shooter last night, and watched it. I'd seen the character numerous times and done a bit of research, but never thought to look for the anime till then. Apparently it's a movie-sized 1-shot OVA. The premise for the story was good, but the implimentation wasn't that great. The ending was kinda confusing as well, but the Animation quality was really good-looking.
Overall I enjoyed it though.

It's a killer waiting for the next episodes to come out for the shows I'm following, they're just that interesting to me.

I guess I'd better get started on Ef-A Tale of Melodies now.

Quote:

Since I'm reminded of my friend and we're on the topic of old series, anyone ever watch Kimba the White Lion? It's one of her fondest nostalgic obsessions.
You know, I actually have heard of that, a loong time ago, I think I saw a commercial for it somewhere. I was such a kid then though, I didn't really care about it, I think I thought it was a cheap Lion King knockoff, but I do kind of remember feeling moved watching the commercial.

I ought to see it sometime, thanks for bringing it up.

Last edited by unownmew; 08-03-2011 at 04:00 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #2954
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Seven years in age difference can be all the difference there.

I was a 4-year old or so boy when I first saw The Little Mermaid. I was in 1st grade when my mom took me to see Beauty and the Beast in theaters. I was in 2nd grade when Aladdin came out in theaters and my parents failed to take me to it and I was all "whyyyyyyyyyyyy". It came out on home video the next year. It was the summer between 3rd and 4th grade, the Summer of 1994, when I went to go see The Lion King with my daycare buddies on a summer field trip. To me, the so-called "Disney Renaissance" wasn't something I checked out after-the-fact the way you must have as a little girl: it was part of my growing up experience. These films weren't fossils: they were living tapestries showing in theaters for the very first time. And they were definitely, definitely hot stuff.

Now let's go to you. When The Lion King came out, you were 3 years old. (Or are you 20? And so you were 4? I'll operate on the assumption that you're 19 until corrected.) You would have had roughly the same exposure to it that I did to the earliest of the Disney Renaissance, The Little Mermaid. What now of the rest of your childhood? Well, in 1995, you got the decidedly non-Disney classic Toy Story from Pixar. The quality of this film was like a night-and-day difference compared with Disney's official entry for 1995, Pocahontas. Blah. I remember going to see that in theaters and feeling that something was horribly, horribly wrong. ("Disney movies aren't supposed to be this vapid! They're supposed to be awesome! They're supposed to have substance! Heck, even the songs suck!" Ever wonder why everyone always associates Pocahontas with "Colors of the Wind"? Because it didn't have any other epic songs. XFD at the written-by-a-5th-grader caliber of the villain's song. I-n-s-u-l-t-i-n-g to even try and compare this with Scar's "Be Prepared"! And while songs like "The Virginia Company" are hum-worthy for all of ten minutes, they're not epic like, you know, eighty percent of the Little Mermaid soundtrack.) They followed this up with the classic-production-yet-not-very-suitable-kids-movie Hunchback of Notre Dame in 1996, when you would have been only five years old. Then came the B-list movie Hercules (B-list by Disney standards anyway. A Disney Renaissance member this was not, though I know some will say otherwise by way of extending the renaissance artificially all the way out to Tarzan. MOTION DENIED.) which was followed up with the underwhelming Mulan that I had so wanted to enjoy. Disney finally had what in my eyes was their first success in years in Tarzan, but it was too little too late: and the company's cinema production team basically went bananas after this, producing garbage I've still never seen to this day like Home on the Range and Chicken Little. You would have been 14 years old around the time that film came out. And in your bizarro world (bizarro from my reference frame, that is), Disney was a company whose ability to produce quality animated films ranked about as low as Nickelodeon. (Ugh, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius. Why do I get the sinking feeling that half of your staff later went on to work for Disney on Chicken Little? >_>)

My Disney Growing Up: Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King
Your Disney Growing Up: Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan

Scores I'd Give to the Entries on My List: A+, A+, A, A+
Scores I'd Give to the Entries on Your List: C+, B+ (it just isn't a story for kids! LOL You guys tried though! ), B-, B+, A-

Impression I'd have of Disney from my own childhood: These guys can't do anything wrong!
Impression I'd have of Disney from your childhood: Meh. They've lost their touch. I can see why my parents loved 'em. Or my older siblings/cousins. But me ... I'd rather watch Pixar movies.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #2955
unownmew
Banned

I have the same feelings about Disney you do Talon. The early old ones, in my life (the very same as yours), were amazing. But after that, it's all gone downhill, unfortunately.

It wasn't quite as impacting to me though, as my Dad was a Disney hater, and as we have always been "short on money" we'd rarely go to the movies, so most of the real "Classics" I only got to see on VHS after they left theaters. I didn't get to enjoy A Little Mermaid or Aladdin though, until much later, because of my dad's stance on the "values they teach." and the "modesty of the female characters."
Old 08-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #2956
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Speaking of The Little Mermaid, one of my all-time favorite songs to come out of a Disney movie is "Part of Your World". The yearning, the passion, I dunno what it is but I've always enjoyed this song for its melody and it's only grown on me as I've gotten older and really feel for the girl who wants to see the great big world out there. (This idea is re-explored in the phenomenal "Out There" in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.)

I think I've probably mentioned this idea before on UPN, as it's one I've played with for a bit, but when you really sit down and think about it ... Ariel is the ultimate weeaboo. Turn Prince Eric into a pretty Japanese girl. Turn Ariel into an American anime fan. Turn her grotto filled with human trinkets into a bedroom like this. Turn King Triton's sea kingdom into America, Prince Eric's Denmark Unidentified European kingdom into Japan. And you've pretty much got the ultimate weeaboo character song in "Part of Your World".
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #2957
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by unownmew View Post
I think I thought it was a cheap Lion King knockoff...
As Talon just pointed out, it's actually the other way around. XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Seven years in age difference can be all the difference there.
Hey now. I think I should mention I have a brother who's eight years older than me. XD Most of my childhood entertainment - from movies to games - were hand-me-downs from his generation. I rarely ever had the theater experience, but I grew up watching most of the films on your list simultaneously on VHS, excluding Hercules, Mulan, and Tarzan. Mulan is actually the only Disney film I saw in theaters at the time of release. Your Aladdin story makes me laugh because it reminds me of my own similar experience. My mom took me to the theater the day or so beforehand to show me where we were going to see the movie, but my little 6-year-old mind couldn't wrap itself around the idea that we had come all this way, and we weren't going to go in to see the film right then and there. I eventually pestered her into letting me see Quest for Camelot which was playing at the time. ^^;

See, the thing is that I never really drew a line of quality between the so-called "classics" and the duds. They were all just cartoons to me, something fun and colorful to watch and sing along with for a couple hours. It was only after I started hearing the praise and nostalgia for certain ones that I began to recognize their "greatness". And even then they don't really hold a memorable candle in my mind. They were good forms of children's entertainment, but nothing more than that.

Since Mulan, I haven't bothered keeping up with Disney animated films at all. I did recently check out The Princess and the Frog and Tangled based on UPNers' recommendations. They were nostalgic and a lot of fun, but still hardly presented stories or characters I could grow amazingly attached to. =x

Quote:
Speaking of The Little Mermaid, one of my all-time favorite songs to come out of a Disney movie is "Part of Your World". The yearning, the passion, I dunno what it is but I've always enjoyed this song for its melody and it's only grown on me as I've gotten older and really feel for the girl who wants to see the great big world out there.
I think you'll like HanaIro's episode 19. ^~ I was a bit iffy about the Little Mermaid metaphor given my newfound distaste for the tail tale, but in the end I admired how it was handled.

Quote:
Ariel is the ultimate weeaboo.
Ha ha. I just recently watched the Nostalgia Chick's review of the film itself, and she also makes numerous references to how Ariel is the "ultimate fangirl". I admit NChick's overwhelming hatred for the film has made me somewhat biased in retrospect. But hey, at least I still also enjoy the songs. ^^; (I used to use "Under the Sea" as my location for my lilbluecorsola persona. =3)

More random oldies, but after watching Nostalgia Critic's latest review of Duck Tales, I finally gave in and downloaded the theme song. XD Never knew there was a full version. Now it's even catchier than before, darnit. Anyone else love this show as a kid?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #2958
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As a kid? Duck Tales is how I discovered Pokemon at the age of 13. It used to air on UPN 23 in the afternoons and I'd watch it when I got home from school while eating a snack and unwinding from school for a bit before starting to do my homework. It just so happened that Pokémon aired either right before or right after it (I can't remember which) and so that was how I discovered Pokémon. lol

But yes, I grew up as a kid watching DuckTales as well. Watched it when I was 4, watched it when it joined Disney's "The Disney Afternoon" line-up along-side Darkwing Duck, The Gummi Bears, and Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers when I was 6 or so, and would watch it when it happened to be on TV for many years after. Very good children's entertainment. Scrooge McDuck is awesome. Can't say the same for most of the other characters, but Scrooge is strong enough to pretty much single-handedly carry this show. And really, it was the show's writing which sold it. Leagues better than most other '80s and early '90s fare. And leagues^2 better than today's stuff for kids. >_<

I remember when I was in kindergarten or 1st grade and my parents bought their first VCR. It came with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Soon after that they bought me my first movie on video cassette. And it was ... Duck Tales: the Movie. It wasn't as great as some of the best story arcs of the series proper, but it was still leagues better than, say, most of the episodes involving Bubba or Doofus. I liked it well enough as a kid. Much to the chagrin of my parents. As you can imagine, I memorized Last Crusade and Treasure of the Lost Lamp fairly quickly. Those movies got played a ton.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #2959
unownmew
Banned

Quote:

As Talon just pointed out, it's actually the other way around. XP

So I saw. ^^;

Quote:
Hey now. I think I should mention I have a brother who's eight years older than me. XD Most of my childhood entertainment - from movies to games - were hand-me-downs from his generation. I rarely ever had the theater experience, but I grew up watching most of the films on your list simultaneously on VHS, excluding Hercules, Mulan, and Tarzan. Mulan is actually the only Disney film I saw in theaters at the time of release. Your Aladdin story makes me laugh because it reminds me of my own similar experience. My mom took me to the theater the day or so beforehand to show me where we were going to see the movie, but my little 6-year-old mind couldn't wrap itself around the idea that we had come all this way, and we weren't going to go in to see the film right then and there. I eventually pestered her into letting me see Quest for Camelot which was playing at the time. ^^;
8 years older? Really? Wow.

Actually much of my early movie experiences were "hand-me-ups" or tag-alongs from my younger siblings. Most of the time, I was personally completely out of the loop. ^^; Never really got to see the later "Disney Classics" until long after they were released, due to my dad's stances on Disney movies, and my interest in other things. I've still never seen Hunchback of Notre Dame. ^^;

That's a cute story Blue.

Quote:
See, the thing is that I never really drew a line of quality between the so-called "classics" and the duds. They were all just cartoons to me, something fun and colorful to watch and sing along with for a couple hours. It was only after I started hearing the praise and nostalgia for certain ones that I began to recognize their "greatness". And even then they don't really hold a memorable candle in my mind. They were good forms of children's entertainment, but nothing more than that.

Since Mulan, I haven't bothered keeping up with Disney animated films at all. I did recently check out The Princess and the Frog and Tangled based on UPNers' recommendations. They were nostalgic and a lot of fun, but still hardly presented stories or characters I could grow amazingly attached to. =x
I found them mostly a form of entertainment too, and I was never impacted by them like I have been with anime, but, even as a kid, I could tell the differences in quality, and the good ones had much better staying power and repeat value then the others.

I've long abandoned Disney's newer, halfbaked entertainment since then though. Most things nowadays, IMO are barely worth the first viewing, let alone repeat-ability.

Quote:
More random oldies, but after watching Nostalgia Critic's latest review of Duck Tales, I finally gave in and downloaded the theme song. XD Never knew there was a full version. Now it's even catchier than before, darnit. Anyone else love this show as a kid?
DUCKTAILS!!?!
I was just a tiny tot when I watched those! I don't even remember anything about them, except that I watched them, unfortunately. And when we moved the first time (when I was 6), I somehow never saw them again, and forgot about them. I'd love to see them again though. I've no doubt they're 10+ times better then the current children's entertainment shows nowadays.

After finally getting situated after the move, I enjoyed Wishbone, Bill Nye the Science Guy, and Krat's Kreatures on PBS. Now those, bring up some serious nostalgia for me. *total nostalgia sigh*
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #2960
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I watched all those. Was a total PBS kid. Would always tune in to The Magic School Bus until I'd seen every episode like 4+ times. But my favorite PBS kids show of all time, without a doubt, is Arthur. Brilliant writing, very fun for older kids / teens to watch as well, tons of pop culture references from seasons 2 or 3 onward ... it definitely jumped the shark at some point, and I'd definitely say that the three oldest seasons are generally the three best ones, but man oh man do I love me some Arthur.

One of my sister and I's all-time favorite episodes is the one where Mr. Ratburn stays over at the Reads' place. From 8:22's "More Spooky Poo!? " to 8:30's "[You made] cake? For me? :3", we quote this episode like crazy. It's just so hysterical.

And it's the second half to a real classic: because the first half of the episode, "The Blizzard", has one of our favorite existential scenes in all of Arthur where the principal Mr. Haney, the 3rd grade teacher Mr. Ratburn, and the school janitor Mr. Morris are trapped at school and Mr. Haney offends the Gods of Teaching.
Mr. Haney: Why eat beans when we have all this food!?
Mr. Morris: I wouldn't eat that junk if I was you. Besides: it's all froze!
*Mr. Haney attempts to pry frozen hot dogs apart. Failing, he slams them against the kitchen table and declares--*
Mr. Haney: I. HATE. SCHOOL!
Mr. Ratburn: Mr. Haney! :O *looks up to the ceiling, arms stretched wide* HE DIDN'T MEAN IT!
Mr. Haney: I wanna go hoooome ;_; .................. BEANS.
Classic.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #2961
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
But my favorite PBS kids show of all time, without a doubt, is Arthur.
8D ARTHURRRRRRRRRRRRRR~ <33333

Finally, someone who agrees this was the best kids' show! I adored Arthur when I was little.

I also loved the Kratt brothers. Zoboomafoo was another one of my favorites. I actually still watch some PBS programming sometimes. ^^; It kinda saddens me how the brothers have gotten so old their characters have to be animated now, and when they show up during real-life portions they look really unappealing. ._. Had a similar humbling revelation when I saw Maria from Sesame Street again. (Not to mention Katy Perry singing a kids version of "Hot & Cold" with Elmo in the same episode. >>; )
Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #2962
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
I watched all those. Was a total PBS kid. Would always tune in to The Magic School Bus until I'd seen every episode like 4+ times.
I also enjoyed The Magic School Bus, unfortunately I think I only saw it intermittently due to the airing time.
Quote:
But my favorite PBS kids show of all time, without a doubt, is Arthur. Brilliant writing, very fun for older kids / teens to watch as well, tons of pop culture references from seasons 2 or 3 onward ... it definitely jumped the shark at some point, and I'd definitely say that the three oldest seasons are generally the three best ones, but man oh man do I love me some Arthur.
Ohh Noooo!!!! *goans*
I swore I'd never enjoy those kiddy shows again as I got older, yet, secretly I did. But, I only watched them because, "there was nothing else to do." >>; *hasty coverup*
I have siblings ranging from 4 to 10 years younger then me, so I've gotten a heavy dose of 'kid' shows in my life. >>; I did enjoy Arthur though, I agree the first seasons are the best. After they got a new voice actor, though, I'd enjoyed it less and less. The forever a kid no matter how old the show gets does annoy me some though. (Pokemon included)

Quote:
One of my sister and I's all-time favorite episodes is the one where Mr. Ratburn stays over at the Reads' place. From 8:22's "More Spooky Poo!? " to 8:30's "[You made] cake? For me? :3", we quote this episode like crazy. It's just so hysterical.
XD I agree that episode was awesome. Ratburn is hilarious when he's "off guard."

Quote:
And it's the second half to a real classic: because the first half of the episode, "The Blizzard", has one of our favorite existential scenes in all of Arthur where the principal Mr. Haney, the 3rd grade teacher Mr. Ratburn, and the school janitor Mr. Morris are trapped at school and Mr. Haney offends the Gods of Teaching.
Mr. Haney: Why eat beans when we have all this food!?
Mr. Morris: I wouldn't eat that junk if I was you. Besides: it's all froze!
*Mr. Haney attempts to pry frozen hot dogs apart. Failing, he slams them against the kitchen table and declares--*
Mr. Haney: I. HATE. SCHOOL!
Mr. Ratburn: Mr. Haney! :O *looks up to the ceiling, arms stretched wide* HE DIDN'T MEAN IT!
Mr. Haney: I wanna go hoooome ;_; .................. BEANS.
Classic.
You've got me in a laughing fit. XD
I vaguely remember this episode, unfortunately, I think I've only seen it once or twice, when I was older and trying to avoid "kiddy things."

Quote:

8D ARTHURRRRRRRRRRRRRR~ <33333

Finally, someone who agrees this was the best kids' show! I adored Arthur when I was little.

I also loved the Kratt brothers. Zoboomafoo was another one of my favorites. I actually still watch some PBS programming sometimes. ^^; It kinda saddens me how the brothers have gotten so old their characters have to be animated now, and when they show up during real-life portions they look really unappealing. ._. Had a similar humbling revelation when I saw Maria from Sesame Street again. (Not to mention Katy Perry singing a kids version of "Hot & Cold" with Elmo in the same episode. >>; )
I thought Zoboomafoo wasn't all that great, and besides, it stole the place of my favorite and much better, IMO, Kratz Kreatures. IMO, It's so much better when the whole time they're out in the wild interacting with animals and talking about them. I also wasn't fond of the 'Clay stories' Zaboo told.

Don't get me started on Sesame Street. While I loved it as a kid, I saw some modern ones, and, especially with the compartmentalizing Elmo into "Elmo's World,", and everyone else into other things, along with all the "political correctness," now, I can't stand it anymore. They also got rid of Snuffy, so I heard. >_>

I remember one Summer, or two, though, a long time ago, where the normal PBS shows during the day were replaced with an animated series of Redwall. now, that, I absolutely Loved!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #2963
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
I thought Zoboomafoo wasn't all that great, and besides, it stole the place of my favorite and much better, IMO, Kratz Kreatures. IMO, It's so much better when the whole time they're out in the wild interacting with animals and talking about them. I also wasn't fond of the 'Clay stories' Zaboo told.
I didn't remember Kratz Kreatures until you brought it up. Don't recall if I actually saw it or not. Might've been just before my time.

Quote:
I remember one Summer, or two, though, a long time ago, where the normal PBS shows during the day were replaced with an animated series of Redwall. now, that, I absolutely Loved!
I remember seeing an episode of that.

Oh, how about ZOOM? Anyone used to watch that show?

I like how this thread has derailed from animé into a discussion of Western children's programming. ^^;
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #2964
unownmew
Banned

Quote:

I didn't remember Kratz Kreatures until you brought it up. Don't recall if I actually saw it or not. Might've been just before my time.

I remember seeing an episode of that.

Oh, how about ZOOM? Anyone used to watch that show?

I like how this thread has derailed from animé into a discussion of Western children's programming. ^^;
Maybe. It was great, and instructive. I think I'd put it right under Bill Nye The Science Guy. (I want him as my science teacher!)

You remember? Just one episode? That's a pity, it was really good. Got me into reading the books, which are also very good.

ZOOM!!!!! Oh that was a fun show. I remember watching that right before dinner many nights, we even forced my parents to hold off dinner until it was over sometimes. ^^; I enjoyed it a lot.

Derailed, eheheheh. ^^; How'd that happen anyways? >>;

Last edited by unownmew; 08-03-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #2965
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I hated ZOOM. My sister loved it. I would give her such a hard time for liking it, and that'd sort of serve to reinforce her conviction that she was right to like it all the more. I always felt like it was a mega-inferior, super-duper-mega-obnoxious-children version of superior DIY invention shows like 3-2-1 Contact! (1980s) or Beakman's World (early 1990s). I hated the games they invented. I hated the short stories kids submitted. I pretty much hate children hated that show. But my sister loved it. Dunno how/when she grew out of it. *sigh*

Kratts' Creatures is from circa 1996, so you would have been ... 5 years old? Zoboomafoo came along as a companion show for younger audiences but in under a year it pretty much replaced Kratts' Creatures entirely. Kratts' Creatures was ... well, I guess the easiest way to show you would be to link you: here's an episode where they went to Australia. I realize you're at home right now, but the link's here if you want it.

Redwall ... when they announced that Brian Jacques died earlier this year, I actually went and watched all of the PBS cartoon adaptation of Redwall on Youtube. I'd seen the first half of it but not the second half, and I'd found the book boring and had only gotten roughly halfway through it too. So yeah, I finally finished Redwall (even if only in cartoon form) earlier this year courtesy of Youtube. Looks like it hasn't been taken down yet! So there you go, unownmew, if you want to relive those memories.

unownmew, you say you're about my age? I thought you were Yuki's age. So say: do you remember MATHNET on Square One TV? I loved that segment as a kid. And I didn't even get that it was parodying Dragnet at the time! (How could I!? I was just a kid!) Random sample for nostalgia's sake. My favorite episode was when they went to Witt's End for a murder mystery weekend and it played out like the game of Clue. ABSOLUTELY LOVED THAT ONE. Recorded all five parts on VHS!

Last edited by Talon87; 08-03-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #2966
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Talon: Stop having fun, guys.

XP Jk. I liked ZOOM. One of the better modern kids' shows IMO is Fetch with Ruff Ruffman, which is similar to ZOOM in that it features a live cast of older kids, but it sends them on fun, educational challenges designed by the staff. ...Not that I, uh, watch it or anything. >.>; *checks Wiki* Wait, it got canceled?! Aw... Er, I mean, that's too bad. =x

And then there's My Little Pony...

The more you guys describe Kratts' Creatures, the more I feel like I've seen some of it. I'm fairly sure I knew the Kratt Brothers before Zoboomafoo, so that must've been where from. I probably caught it at the end of its run though.

*seeks to beginning of theme song* Ah, yes. This looks and sounds familiar now.

I read the first book of Redwall. I liked it, though hearing how redundant the later novels were made me disinclined to continue any more.

My brother apparently loved Square One. I hate math, so whenever a recorded segment popped up on one of our old tapes I'd immediately fast-forward. x.X (Don't mind Cyberchase too much though... I'm just a sucker for animation/bright shiny colors, I guess.)

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 08-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #2967
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No.6:
Episode 05 was quite good. I found myself exiting fullscreen frequently throughout the episode to see if I was nearing the end yet or not. I didn't want it to stop! In the end, the episode raised many new and exciting questions for us, but it also took some baby steps towards answering the questions we've had now for quite some time.
Spoiler: show
New Questions:
  • What was the wind that Nezumi and Safu experienced?
  • Was it in their minds? Or was it an actual wind?
  • What connection, if any, do Nezumi and Safu have to one another? (Why did Safu mutter Nezumi's name when she was in the hospital bed in No.5? Had Shion ever told Safu about Nezumi?)
  • Why is there a stained glass window of the wasps in the museum Safu's visiting?
  • Why has Safu been summoned back to No.6? (What's the real reason?)
Old Questions:
  • Were the wasps a genetic experiment made by scientists in No.6? - not technically an old question, but rather a new question informed by details in Vol 1 Chap 5 of the books. A question we would have been able to ask two episodes ago had the conversation been preserved in the anime
  • Do the wasps exist as an extreme form of population control? Weeding out dissenters and people who think negative thoughts about the society of No.6? If so, why don't more people die? (and perhaps more importantly, why resort to such a messy and obvious means of elimination?) If not, how do we explain the uncanny coincidence that all three of the victims who we've seen before death (Shion's ex-coworker, Shion himself, and Safu's grandmother's nurse) said or thought negative thoughts about the society before they got killed or nearly killed by the wasps?
  • Are the wasps a new thing? Or have they been around a while? If a while, for how long?
  • What is up with Shion's hair, skin, and eye color changes? None of the other victims have morphed in quite the same way. Is it really just because Nezumi intercepted the transformation? or is it because of something else? Is it because Shion is unique in some way?
  • How does No.6 compare with the other cities in the area?
Other than the first of the old questions listed, all the others were given little inklings this episode. Like the stained glass windows Safu saw of the wasps. Or like the introduction of more victims (Safu's grandmother's nurse) so that we could keep wondering what the mechanism is and what the purpose behind the parasitizations is.

Apparently we long ago finished the book. I had thought that we were fielding an average of one chapter per episode, but apparently the events of Chapter 5 in the book (i.e. the last chapter of Volume 1) are what was covered by Episode 03 in the anime. In other words, we're well into Book 2 already. Interesting.

I found this out by taking a look at Chapter 5. When I did, I found that the book goes into much greater details than the anime does, as one might expect. I wanted to share with you the book's version of Nezumi's chat with Shion about what happened four years ago because I feel like the book makes it much more clear that Shion is a very special person to Nezumi and that people like Shion don't exist in Nezumi's world:
Quote:
Originally Posted by excerpt from No.6 Volume 1, Chapter 5
“You just don’t get it. No matter how or how often I try to explain it to you, you’ll never get it. On that day, four years ago, I had almost completely given up. If I’d given up that’d have been the end of it. I knew that. Yet, I didn’t think anyone could help me or lend me a hand. That’s what I believed. I had nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. I snuck into a Chronos residence. I was thinking it was just a matter of time before I’d be unable to move out of exhaustion… It was a horrible feeling. To think that I was born just to die so miserably… Don’t laugh.”

He didn’t mean to laugh. But the sound of that night four years ago resounded in Shion’s ears. The undulating sounds of the wind and the trees and the falling rain overlapped and a drenched little boy crouched in the darkness––the, image crisp as the day itself, played out in his mind.

“And then, a window opened. You opened it on a whim. And then you spread your arms wide.”

“Yeah, I remember. I don’t know why, but I was itching to shout.”

“To me, it seemed like you were calling me in. I thought… it was a miracle. And you even left the window open when you went back into the room.”

“I was trying to turn off the environmental control system.”

“Why you did it doesn’t matter. That unguarded, open window was a miracle. And it was also a miracle that you didn’t call the public order department, but treated my wounds and fed me. I never knew something like that could happen. You were the first person to show me…. that a hand of salvation can reach out to you, miraculiously. Just like…”

Mouse slowly looked around the room.

“Just like in the many thousands of stories here, something beyond human expectation happened. And that’s why I survived… Just as you said, it is possible for people to save people. You showed me that. You were the only one who showed me that… It is an incredibly valuable gift. Regrettable as that fact may be.”
This was great insight into Nezumi's character and I'm glad I was able to have the opportunity to read it. (Thanks, gg translator guy!)

So back to discussing the episode ...
The yaoi was strong with this one. I've enjoyed the series so far enough to tolerate hijinx like these, but they do make me squirm a little. Nezumi's playing female parts was a little surprising to me (despite his stage name of "Eve") because of just how low-pitched his anime voice is, but that's not even the half of it. I'm talking about the dance scene. That was when the yaoi thermometer went up by like ten degrees. And then when Shion touched Nezumi's neck? And Nezumi panicked? And read into it way too much? Yeah. That was pretty yaoi. lol But it's been a fun show so I'll deal.

Hey look: it's that guy I bitched about being unimportant last episode. And I even said "But he could be established as an important character in later episodes so who knows ..." And it looks like "later" was "the very next episode." So he ends up being Shion's informant for happenings inside the government office. Neat-o.

I'm gonna be pissed if Safu gets infected by wasps ...

... and I'm gonna laugh + roll my eyes if they reveal that Safu is Nezumi's sister or half-sister. And that that was why they had their Luke Skywalker / Princess Leia telepathy moment.

Here's hoping Episode 6 gives us some more meat to put on these mystery bones. With this, we're roughly at the halfway point. If Episode 3 correlated with the last chapter of Book 1, it's possible that the anime will cover as many as four or five books from the series. But considering that there are already nine volumes in the series, no matter what we're probably not going to get as much information as we'd like. Season 2? Maybe. If Wolf & Spice was miraculously able to get a second season, I don't see why No.6 couldn't.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #2968
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
D...

Dh...

Dahh...

DAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...!

NEZUUUUMI!! XD

LOL

Wow, after that, I don't feel embarassed to stop on the anime I've been delaying. That was just the jolt of intravenous caffeine I needed to stimulate my bravery gland to start producing courage!

Yes, the yaoi is approaching critical mass. I felt molested after watching this episode. I would be horrified if anything came out of the under-tones, and I doubt anything well, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Wow, I am so pumped now, I feel like I could race a million miles.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #2969
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I haven't really been doing much of anything that's noteworthy, but I guess a post won't hurt.

I've cleared half of the paths in Galaxy Angel and its sequel, Moonlit Lovers. Instead of doing all the paths in one game, I decided to hit a path from the first game, then continue the path in the sequel, since it picks up directly from where the original left off in each path. Except Chitose, since she's a new character. I'm sure the third game will do the same. Unfortunately, it isn't translated yet.

Anyway, about the game itself. Despite being pretty cliche and cheesy, I still found myself kinda enjoying it. Moonlit Lovers is a bit better, since the characters are already in a relationship (except Chitose) and the events are there to mostly strengthen it. The story behind the war that's going just seems to be something used for character development, since when I actually think about it, it don't make much sense. I was disappointed in Chitose's path, since it was really brief. She was really entertaining in the other paths, so I was hoping for a large amount of good scenes with her, since she wasn't in the first game.

Also, this game has something I've always appreciated. That is vocal remixes of character themes by the character's va! I've always liked it when visual novels do that, which was one of the things I liked about Symphonic Rain. When playing a visual novel like this, you kinda get attached to the character themes, since they're usually playing during all of the character's moments. Adding a vocal remix by the voice actress to the end of the path is a nice treat. Also, in the final battle, they have a remix of the opening theme done by all of the characters VAs. The opening isn't a very good song at all, especially when Forte starts rapping, but it's still nice they had a remix of it.

I still have three paths to go. Milfeulle, Mint, and Chitose have been cleared! Now I just need Forte, Ranpha, and Vanilla.

I haven't progressed much into Puchi Puri Yuushi. It's been a bit boring, so it's hard to pick up the initiative to watch it. I'll try my hardest though!

Also, it seems the creators of Black Rock Shooter are making a hentai about it where they go to Africa. They're calling it
Black Cock Shooter.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #2970
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Hanasaku Iroha: Watched episode 19 (got the numbers mixed up before). Now Minchi's character arc. Still no sign of an overarching plot or focus. However, I've decided to start treating this series like the Ouran of 2011 (as Ano Hana was to Haruhi), and appreciate it as just a silly cast of characters doing regular things in an over-the-top way. Just gonna enjoy the ride from here on out, and whether it builds up to a satisfactory resolution or not, I'll take it as it is.

Usagi Drop: Saw episode 05. See thread.

No.6: At first I was sticking my tongue out at you two complaining about the yaoi when it wasn't much worse than the previous episodes, but then... The last five minutes... DX Ugh that was horribly awkward to sit through. Hope I wasn't blushing too hard, and that no one in the library saw me. ._.;;; This is getting to be way too close even for me. XP

Aside from that, an enjoyable episode that brought back the intrigue and some lolz:

Ha ha at Nezumi/Eve. When the song started playing, I thought at first he might've been the one singing, hence why he was picked to play female roles. ^^; I also thought he might confess the reason he didn't want Shion to come to the play was because he was embarrassed for Shion to see him that way. But Nezumi never admitted anything of the sort. Plus he just smiled weirdly after a moment when he saw Shion. Hm, I wonder...

The Nezumi-Safu-wind-wasp experience was mysterious. Wonder what that was about. I highly doubt Shion ever told her about Nezumi, so maybe she's also special in a way for being able to perceive Nezumi's existence, but not the other way around? I surprisingly really like Safu, so I'm looking forward to seeing her play a major role as well.

Durarara!!: Watched episode 03. Finally, Mr. Sunglasses Bartender makes a grand entrance! We get to see some serious RAGE and vending machine-throwing action!

Kaiji: Once Kaiji mentioned "balance", I knew where the plan was going. Although I'm a little surprised...

...That when listing the reasons why his opponent fell for his second trap (thinking Kaiji didn't have a fourth scissors), he didn't mention the logic that a player should only have three of each card type. Granted, his opponent did see he formed an alliance, so he could've taken into account the other players' cards were added. If he were operating on the balance theory though, shouldn't he have realized by the third scissors that Kaiji's deck was unbalanced to begin with? Even if he did, Kaiji's reasoning that one would still pursue with his original theory seemed pretty flimsy to me. In that situation, I should think one would normally become suspicious of a pattern and expect it to continue, thus prompting a switch in one's own strategy or retreat to cut losses.

Princess Tutu: Watched up to episode 04. Expectations of greatness to come aside, I'm rather enjoying the basic formula of the early episodes. I admit I find the music and choreography beautiful, and they really help heighten the mood. Was almost moved to tears by just the restaurant owner's story. The dancing doesn't look so silly as to be absurd, yet thankfully it's not treated as overly srz bznz either. Just a unique, open form of expression.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #2971
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:

Kaiji: Once Kaiji mentioned "balance", I knew where the plan was going. Although I'm a little surprised...

Granted, his opponent did see he formed an alliance, so he could've taken into account the other players' cards were added.
That isn't something that can be predicted or relied on. IIRC, Kaiji and co. traded cards in the bathroom so no one would know what cards the three had. In the early stages of Gentei Janken, it's assumed people play with a fair deck, and given how quickly Kaiji's team got into the hole, they were playing with a trick deck when players when most other players were still fair.

Quote:

If he were operating on the balance theory though, shouldn't he have realized by the third scissors that Kaiji's deck was unbalanced to begin with? Even if he did, Kaiji's reasoning that one would still pursue with his original theory seemed pretty flimsy to me. In that situation, I should think one would normally become suspicious of a pattern and expect it to continue, thus prompting a switch in one's own strategy or retreat to cut losses.
No, what the hyena did was perfectly rational. His only logical err was, as you pointed, that he didn't consider a trick deck, but I attribute that to his own over confidence in his simple strategy.

A fourth scissor was highly unlikely, not even considering the three of a set limitation per nine card deck. Pure probability says that the next card won't be a scissor, because the likelihood of the same card appearing three times in a row is already low, and picking rock risks a 50% shot at taking a loss. Paper is 100% safe, and if Kaiji is going to use a Paper too, he's as good as dead, because he has one card and someone knows exactly what that card is.

Quote:

Princess Tutu: Watched up to episode 04. Expectations of greatness to come aside, I'm rather enjoying the basic formula of the early episodes. I admit I find the music and choreography beautiful, and they really help heighten the mood. Was almost moved to tears by just the restaurant owner's story. The dancing doesn't look so silly as to be absurd, yet thankfully it's not treated as overly srz bznz either. Just a unique, open form of expression.
There's a lot of good needy-of-the-week characters in Tutu, for some reason I vividly remember a female anteater(?) having a memorable story. A pity I can't remember it! But oh was it memorable., heh.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 08-09-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #2972
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Outside of the pachinko arc, all of the strategies Kaiji utilizes are fairly simple. But in any given story arc, one usually begins with the simplest least impressive strategies and works one's way towards the more complex satisfying ones.

And like I said before: imo, in hindsight, the Espoir arc is one of the weakest. It isn't bad -- in fact, imo it's quite good, so if you're not really digging it by episode 6 or 7 then there might be a problem -- but things only get better as you progress. Without going into details, I'd say ... see this chart. (36 kilobytes) Would love to qualify that diagram more, but I can't do so without getting your expectations up or down for certain segments, not to mention possibly spoiling things. You'll just have to watch the show first, and then come back and look at this chart once again and see if you see sense in it or not.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #2973
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm surprised you put TBR above Espoir. Sure, Espoir had a game-like quality to it that disguised the severity of losing, but in terms of strategy it was the most solid of the arcs logically.

TBR was just weird. It seemed unnecessary, almost sort of petty. It only shaped out in the end because of what Hyoudou did, but in my eyes that didn't really shrug off how out- of-place it is.

Agreed with everything else though. Season 2 was derided as a big disappointment from the first season, yet it's been nothing but thus far!

In related news, I re-watched on of the earlier episodes of Kaiji, and here's my impression-

Kaiji sounds naiive as fudge. Seriously, comparing early S1 Kaiji to where he is now with the Pachinko Bog is like comparing Geass R1 Zero to Geass R2 Zero.

Entirely different performances. Zero in R1 acted like a vampire - he was almost always reserved, refined, and spoke in a mercilessly calm tone. He felt like something completely foreign to the Geass world, a truly "theatrical", almost Shakspearean villain.

Zero in R2 was more like a super-hero: he was fond of poses, loved to scream and flail his hands around, and gave impassioned speeches instead of logical ones. He more resembled how Lelouch really is (overly emotional) than R1 Zero.

Kaiji, likewise, doesn't have the leadership charisma he has in S2. Sure, he's leading Furuhata and Andou, but his control over them doesn't seem as powerful as the one he currently has over his Pachinko boys. He feels a lot more helpless and vulnerable than the grisly and bitter/angry Kaiji we've all grown to know and love. I think E-Card was probably the biggest influence on making the modern Kaiji.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #2974
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'm surprised you put TBR above Espoir.
I don't. I tried to make it pretty clear with the graph, but if you've misinterpreted it versus how I intended it to be read, then I fear others may as well, so I'll clarify:

y-coordinate values reflect overall enjoyment of Kaiji the Series. Thus, the weakest arc of the series should not be expected to drag the overall score down (say from 9/10 to 7/10) just because it was the weakest. The question this graph asks its y coordinate, at any given point, is "How satisfied am I with the product as a whole as of this point in time?" Time is the x-axis, with x-coordinate values corresponding integrally to the end of each story arc. Hence 0 is no progress, 1 is end of Espoir, 2 is end of H.H., so on and so forth.

If you were to ask me what my favorite arcs in Kaiji have been so far, I would probably have to say ...

Season 1: E-Card > H.H. > Espoir > TBR
Season 2: Pachinko >= Chinchiron
Total: E-Card > H.H. > Pachinko >= Chinchiron > Espoir > TBR

But that isn't what the graph shows. Not unless you're paying sharp attention to the slopes of each line segment. If you're only paying attention to the x and y-values, then what that graph is supposed to show is something more like this:

At the end of Arc 1, had the show improved or declined? Improved.
At the end of Arc 2, had the show improved or declined? Improved!
At the end of Arc 3, had the show improved or declined? Improved!!
At the end of Arc 4, had the show improved or declined? Declined.
At the end of Arc 5, had the show improved or declined? Improved.
At the end of Arc 6, had the show improved or declined? Still watching, but so far it's improved or at least maintained the status quo from Arc 5.

Pachinko has definitely had its moments and it's not done yet. Depending on how Kaiji bypasses the third gate, I could really end up a big fan of this arc. Only time will tell. Chinchiron, I think, was no stronger than Pachinko plot point for plot point -- it may even have been a little weaker -- but it was only ~8 episodes versus Pachinko's ~16, i.e. it was half Pachinko's length. Or you could say Pachinko is twice Chinchiron's. So yeah, my biggest complaint with Pachinko is "they drew it out a bit." So it's hard for me to say whether I liked Pachinko more or Chinchiron more. Chinchiron started off aggravating (KAIJI, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU!?) and slow, but by Episode 5 the epic shit had hit the epic fan. Pachinko was pretty entertaining from start to finish where we are right now, but it's been stretched out like taffy and we have yet to really get an epic moment like what went down at the very end of the Chinchiron arc. Ichijou's punishment of Kaiji (YOWZERS!), Kaiji's defeat of the forest of pins and the flippers, ... these things, while pretty epic, haven't been as epic as the final events of Chinchiron, and they certainly haven't been quite so epic as "SAHARAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" or E-Card's amazing double climaxes (first the {spoiler} one from 20, then the final one which ends the arc) and the intermission between E-Card and TBR (HOLY COW ).

Sorry for speaking in tongues, btw. "H.H."? "TBR"? But now that Little Blue is actually watching the show, I figure this is for the best. I don't want her to anticipate what the future arcs are ... although admittedly if she truly wants to emulate our experience, exposure to these names will be necessary since we were all exposed to them thanks to you and your Wikipedia edits back in '07. (I remember thinking at the time, "What the hell is E-Card gonna be!? " And then being really disappointed when it was revealed. And then being jaw-to-the-floor mesmerized by HOW. FUCKING. TENSE it was.)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #2975
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I missed the whole "change in" part of the graph and only looked at the points. I should be ashamed, I know better than that!

Viewing news: watching Steins 19.

Absolutely horrific.

The worst part is, G-Senjou had a scene like this, but in G-Senjou it was portrayed as cool and brilliant, whereas here it's pathetic and revolting.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime