UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #51
Jerichi
本✚能

Double post for revelation.

I was going to rewrite Secret Power to reflect it's in-game description slightly but then had an idea - I could apply this kind of thing to Natural Gift and actually make it usable. Maybe Natural Gift can be a move that varies on the environment: if there's an obvious elemental association with it, Natural Gift will turn into that type. It makes it moderately usable and possibly adds some variety to a few Pokemon. It'd be somewhat weak but enough to do decent damage. Too complicated?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #52
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

That is the best idea I've heard all day. I'm all for the environment-based Natural Gift.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #53
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

That... is exactly what I was going to suggest. Creepy.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #54
Jerichi
本✚能

Quote:
Natural Gift (Various) - The user gathers energy from the environment around them and concentrates it into a burst of energy, sending it through the ground to strike from below and deal decent damage. The burst rises to surround the target, going high enough to hit most airborne foes. The type of the attack depends on the environment it's used in, as it pulls its energy directly from nature. For instance, if used in a Grass field or forest, it will be Grass-typed, if used in a clay arena, it will be Ground-typed, if used in a power plant, it will be Electric-typed, etc. The exact type is up to the *refferee. The type of Natural Gift can change if the arena is altered (the grass is burned, snow is melted, water evaporates) or the arena changes (like in the Shifting Stafium). Because this attack draws the energy from the arena, it does not pull from the user's type energy pools, but repeated uses will put a strain on the environment and weaken the attack.*
Opinions?

Last edited by Jerichi; 02-12-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #55
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to hen da man
It's like Earth Power just the type is dependent on the arena. It looks pretty good though I think.

Daisy is just the best for making the battlecut!

I am now a C+ ref!!

FB
Spoiler: show
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I think i catch my typos but i keep typoing my typos so then i just dont even bother trying toc rrecty them because i will jeust keep typoing forever

edit: also any kids reading this dont drink it fucks u pyour brannreal bad
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #56
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

I'm not quite sure about it not taking from the user's type energy pool at all. Maybe just half?

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #57
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Last part of that description almost made me think that the user spent none of their own energy to initiate the attack, but rather that of the environment. I'm assuming the user would also chip in some of their own, so I guess I just want clarification as to how much.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #58
Shadowshocker
used First Impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Opinions?
Somehow, I'm reminded about Nature Power - why don't we use the same idea for Nature Power (i.e. like the games), except that it draws on the user's energy reserves (if you're that worried about zomg Rock Slide Ludicolo)?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #59
Mercutio
Banned

I don't actually see the need for Substitute to be 1.5x the energy put in to the sub. I don't see that it would be broken if the amount was 1x health or less.

HP normal typed.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #60
S_M
Volcano Badge

Send a message via AIM to S_M
HP type energy'd. Secret Power like the anime plz.

Also recommend a slight denerf of Flash?
156 KOs - 376 TP - 10.75 SP
Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #61
Jerichi
本✚能

>It's like Earth Power just the type is dependent on the arena

Not really. It's based on the interpretation of Secret Power here. I just liked how the anime did it so I went with this.

>I'm not quite sure about it not taking from the user's type energy pool at all. Maybe just half?

Considering a lot of the time they're not going to have the type, I'd prefer it to be this way. I want it to be something versatile that anyone can use as a good option to expand smaller sets. Having it weaken with repeated usage discourages (and prevents) abuse so Pokemon like Quagsire don't suddenly become unusable in Grass arenas and stuff like that.

>Last part of that description almost made me think that the user spent none of their own energy to initiate the attack, but rather that of the environment. I'm assuming the user would also chip in some of their own, so I guess I just want clarification as to how much.

I'll reword that a bit - I see what you mean.

>Somehow, I'm reminded about Nature Power - why don't we use the same idea for Nature Power (i.e. like the games), except that it draws on the user's energy reserves (if you're that worried about zomg Rock Slide Ludicolo)?

I was actually considering that and I honestly would not be totally against it considering Ludicolo is probably the best Nature Power user. The few Pokemon who get it have fairly limited movesets so expanding their abilities with a broader Nature Power would be a lot better.

>I don't actually see the need for Substitute to be 1.5x the energy put in to the sub. I don't see that it would be broken if the amount was 1x health or less.

The reason I have x1.5 the energy is to prevent abuse of it - if you create a lot of little subs over and over than you can basically wall out all these heavy attacks repeatedly. At least with higher energy use it discourages throwing a Sub at every Fire Blast and Hyper Beam the foe throws out.

>Also recommend a slight denerf of Flash?

What were you thinking of?

Last edited by Jerichi; 02-12-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #62
Mercutio
Banned

Ah this is true, if we're changing it so that Substitute can be made into a small thing (incidentally, why?)) then that would need an energy based drawback.

Regarding HP, could we not just set it so that HP can be changed in the bio? Like whether or not Electabuzz goes crazy for ketchup. It's a bit woolly and we'd need to make it so that you can't go "lol Pikachu has HP Dragon and it is super strong" but we could make it so that you can decide what HP something is.

Secret Power, meh, would prefer it to stay a beam and not just be a clone of Nature Power.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #63
S_M
Volcano Badge

>What were you thinking of?

I don't think up-close Flashes causing some very temporary blindness (15 secondsish) would be ridiculous. But I wouldn't be terribly hurt if you disagree :p

(yeah i know why it was nerfed in the first place but I think moving toward the center couldn't hurt)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #64
Jerichi
本✚能

>Ah this is true, if we're changing it so that Substitute can be made into a small thing (incidentally, why?)) then that would need an energy based drawback.

I'm probably actually going to increase the minimum for Sub since most people will generally chose the minimum anyway, but it'll be a good tactic to take a lot of punishment. It still needs some tweaking but as long as we get a functional version, I'm fine with it.

>Regarding HP, could we not just set it so that HP can be changed in the bio? Like whether or not Electabuzz goes crazy for ketchup. It's a bit woolly and we'd need to make it so that you can't go "lol Pikachu has HP Dragon and it is super strong" but we could make it so that you can decide what HP something is.

Too complicated, IMO. But, that being said, I would be willing to be flexible with changing HPs along with sigs as long as it's reasonable. It's a fairly minor change and as long as you can justify it, I'd be ok with it. But I think that HP as your Base type is a good thing - it gives a lot of Pokemon usable alternatives when they don't get a lot or really any Special STAB.

>Secret Power, meh, would prefer it to stay a beam and not just be a clone of Nature Power.

My rewrite functions almost identically - just a bit more widespread - since Natural Gift will be getting the Nature Power/Secret Power treatment.

>I don't think up-close Flashes causing some very temporary blindness (15 secondsish) would be ridiculous. But I wouldn't be terribly hurt if you disagree :p

I'll talk to Nick about finding a happier medium. It's a legitimate tactic but it gets overreffed and abused.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #65
Mercutio
Banned

Regarding flash, pokémon who can see in the dark generally do so by having epic eyes. I think that using point blanl Flash on, say, a Houndoom, will do more than on a Pikachu.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #66
Jerichi
本✚能

Yeah - I think we should treat sensitive eyes much like sensitive hearing. That would actually make Flash a bit more valuable.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #67
Mercutio
Banned

Additionally, I think that 15 seconds is a little high. bearing in mind that the average round lasts somewhere in the vicinity of 20-60 seconds (yeah ok fine it varies a lot) Flash can be a little broken.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #68
Jerichi
本✚能

It's a lot better than the two or three rounds Flash used to blind you for. 15 seconds is at least manageable. I think Flash should only last for the duration of about an attack and a half - enough to throw off one enemy attack and at least start your own and catch them off guard. And, of course, we should give diminishing returns on it. Eventually, your eyes will adjust to the light.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #69
Mercutio
Banned

Agreed. On that note (oh I'm so funny), can we clarify the differences between Screech and Metal Sound? I realise that they do a variation on the same thing in game and that we don't have them do either, but I do hate clones so much.

Perhaps we could have Screech do what it currently does at reasonable effectiveness, whereas Metal Sound is more effective against stuff harder stuff and less effective against softer stuff? A totally arbitrary distinction but it could work.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #70
S_M
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
It's a lot better than the two or three rounds Flash used to blind you for. 15 seconds is at least manageable. I think Flash should only last for the duration of about an attack and a half - enough to throw off one enemy attack and at least start your own and catch them off guard. And, of course, we should give diminishing returns on it. Eventually, your eyes will adjust to the light.
I'm greatly okay with this. Right now it does basically nothing so anything would be a step up.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #71
Jerichi
本✚能

Ok, I'm gonna go back a bit later and work out particulars for Sub and Flash (Sub will probably have its limits changed and I just need to figure out how to word Flash correctly), so let's move on for now.

I took an informal poll in the TO a while back, asking about Shadow Ball's strength and adjusting it to fit the scale better. Most seemed to be in favor of lessening of power.

I have simplified Shadow Ball to this:
Quote:
Shadow Ball (GH) -- The user charges up and fires a ball of black ghost energy at the opponent, launching it to hit the target for significant damage. Upon impact, the ball bursts, letting out a ghostly wind that deals damage to those around it. This attack is particularly unstable and most decently powerful Psychic attacks will burst it.
Is anyone still totally against it?

And on a similar note, I haven't done much to Focus Punch - simply defined that there are in fact mid- and quick-charge versions:
Quote:
Focus Punch (FT) -- The ultimate fighting attack, the user spends significant time and energy charging up the attack, and then releases a devastating punch. The user's fist, glowing with fighting energy, is impervious to damage during the attack. Energy and damage are equivalent to Hyper Beam, with damage also being modified by the user of the move. The charge time, as well, is like Hyper Beam, with a full charge doing the lethal damage, but consuming a very significant amount of time and energy. Quick charge and Mid-Charge variations of this move are possible, but consume slightly more energy than they do damage due to the need to break the focus before the technique is complete.
However, my problem is, is FP still too overpowered? And how should we treat the "impervious to damage" part?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #72
Selena
Aroma Lady

Just leave out the "imperveous to damage" part, without that, and large charging time it should be useable. Also note that the attack is actually a HB-level move in the game, just with another drawback. I also never experienced it as too overpowered, because of auto-dodging HB level moves.

EDIT: does shadowball now do damage similar to thunderbolt or thunder, or maybe in between?

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #73
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
The Shadow Ball is OK, but I dunno...seems like ghost needs a good attack when all it has it Night Shade or Ominious Wind..

FP seems quite all right to me...

Edit: @Dave(regarding blocking attacks), been there done that. Seems quite all right, Focus Punch takes some time to charge and I think it's only completely immune at FC...hmm, maybe add that in? Immunity to attacks increases with charge?

Last edited by Rangeet; 02-19-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #74
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Shadow Ball looks good, though 'significant' seems an eensy bit high. Would suggest 'fairly high'/'high', to keep it in line with Thunderbolt-strength.

Focus Punch... well, it's HB-level in the games, so I don't have a problem with it being that strong. Not sure about the 'impervious' bit, since theoretically someone could order their 'mon to charge up an FP while using their fist to block attacks.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #75
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Shadow Ball looks good, though 'significant' seems an eensy bit high. Would suggest 'fairly high'/'high', to keep it in line with Thunderbolt-strength.

Focus Punch... well, it's HB-level in the games, so I don't have a problem with it being that strong. Not sure about the 'impervious' bit, since theoretically someone could order their 'mon to charge up an FP while using their fist to block attacks.
>Implying thunderbolt isn't at significant.

Also with the impervious to attacks thing, I saw Steelie ref it one time as when I used it to block a thunderbolt or somesuch, it lost around a thunderbolt's worth of strength.

I'm still dubious about any HB level typed moves, given that in our 4 HB health system it allows for OHKO's. I'd at least give them all the same drawback as giga impact.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries