UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Gym Battles

Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Sharpedo UPN PASBL - Gym Trainer Match: Concept VS. Salamencia

So. Bastard Concept nicked my GTship. Er... battle?

Specs go here:

Spoiler: show
Mozz's Gym

The Gym is based off of Angelic Layer in that it is a computer-generated arena which uses futuristic technology to generate battlefields in which Pokemon. The area itself is about a quarter mile in diameter, as this Layer was created for Pokemon, not battle angels. The computer is able to generate weather as well, so moves which manipulate it will work in any arena in which the move would normally work. The height of the battle arena will be approximately 500 ft, and a maximum depth under "sea level" of 100ft. The boundary of the area is a standard Space-Age forcefield. No energy or matter can enter or leave the arena.

Normal Arena: Modified Clay Arena
The entire arena becomes a clay battlefield. Where the two Pokemon are released, as well as interspersed among the arena, are pools lined with concrete measuring about 50ft in diameter. Weather: Daytime, partly cloudy, 72F.

Dark Arena: Midnight Plains
The arena is morphed into an African savannah. Long grass covers the plain, and a few trees are scattered around. Weather: Midnight, Full Moon, no clouds, 50F.

Psychic Arena: Overcast at Dusk
The clouds cover the arena, which has an eerie gray tint to it. It's sorta dark, but all Pokemon can easily see. The ground is made out of a bunch of large rocks, like the bottom of a quarry. This makes for an interesting battle, no? Weather: Dusk, Cloudy, 60F.

Fighting Arena: Madison Square Garden
The arena is transformed into the inside of one of the most famous arenas in the world. The stage is a normal sized boxing ring, with a computer generated crowd surrounding them. The crowd will respond as normal to a match, rooting for one competitor or the other as usual. The entire battle must take place inside the boxing ring. If an opponent is sent out of the ring, the match will stop until the Pokemon is back inside, then the CG referee will resume the fight, and then disappear. Weather: N/A.

Ghost Arena: Graveyard
The huge plot of land is turned into a Graveyard. Headstones made of solid concrete rest on a grass field. The arena turns pitch black, even the moon itself is too scared to appear.. Weather: Nighttime, No light at all, 50F.

Rock Arena: Steaming Quarry
The arena changes, this time to a gigantic quarry. The ground is dirt, but there's a good 30ft of rocks of varying sizes before you can get there. Weather: Noon, Sunny, 105F.

Ground Arena: Ancient Cave
The scene shifts to an underground lair. Dry and dirty, the cave is made out of a sturdy rock, which is 50ft deep. There is only one entrance and exit to the cave besides digging, and that is via the pond all the way in the back. Diving underneath the pond will eventually lead the Pokemon outside to a grass field. Otherwise, inside the cave is a ceiling which is 3 stories high, with some stalagmites and stalagtites around. In the water, some Omanyte and Kabuto swim, but they don't cause a threat, really. Weather: Low light, 50F.

Water Arena: The Pond
The arena fills with water, as the scene changes to a deep ocean. The height of the water extends past the normal level of the other arenas, allowing the ocean to be approximately 500ft deep. The water temperature will be reasonably warm, but get cooler as the depth increases. Underwater, a few Pokemon swim, but passive ones like Mantine and Remoraid. They won't get in the battle though. The bottom of the arena is sand, with some rocks and Shellder. Weather: Air: 95F. Water: <80F.

Electric Arena: Thunderstorm Field
The Layer morphs to a grass field with a large, deep pool in the middle. The grass is cut low, so it shouldn't get in the way. The weather is what makes this arena great, as a torrential downpour starts up, complete with moderate winds and random lightning far away. Claps of thunder can be heard quite well, and they might startle battlers. Weather: Daytime, overcast, torrential thunderstorm, 60F.

Fire Arena: Lava
The scene changes to Blaine's Gym, or at least a reasonable facsimile. The field is the top of a volcano, with several pillars in a large sea of molten lava. The weather is perfect for fire type Pokemon, as it's a gorgeous, although ridiculously hot, day. Weather: Sunny, 115F.

Flying Arena: Sokoni Soraga Arukara
If anyone has seen the intro to Pocket Monsters: Advanced Generation, they'll know this arena from the final scene with Absolu. Above the clouds rest several small pillars which Pokemon can rest on. If a Pokemon falls underneath the clouds, they will only fall another 20 ft (Thank God for computers) to a concrete level underneath. The weather is fine, making it a great battle area for flying types. Weather: Partly cloudy, 79F.

Ice Arena: The Arctic
Something that Fushigidane created, this arena will test Pokemon in the bitter chill of the arctic night. A raging snowstorm is created by the computer, as the field is pure ice over a 20ft deep pool. The ice is very thick, making it difficult to break. Visibility is low, and any non-ice Pokemon will certainly not feel welcome. Weather: Dusk, Blizzard conditions, -10F.

Poison Arena: Soonansu no Uchi
The arena becomes something similar to a waste disposal facility, as it turns into a swamp, filled with horrid smelling substances. There are some weeds around, but the sludge is quite deep, although there are some patches of dirt to get on. The smell is noxious, although poison types, and Wobbuffet will love it. Weather: Partly Cloudy, 65F.

Grass Arena: Flower Meadow
A lush garden filled with grass and various types of flowers. The grass is low cut, and the flowers surround the main battle area. Weather: Sunny, Midday, 72F.

Dragon Arena: Mist Cave
Another underground arena, this cave has much more water than the Ground arena, and with good cause. The cave is 3 stories tall, giving all Pokemon enough room to move around. A light mist fills the arena, as there is a large underground lake next to the rocks and dirt. It is cool down there, and there's enough light for anything to see. Weather: 50F, slightly hazy.

Steel Arena: Steel Box
A completely enclosed space, the Steel Box should be an interesting facility. Made with 10ft thick steel, it is unbreakable. The dimensions of the arena are 1/4 mile high, 500ft long and 500ft wide. The box is temperature controlled thanks to the computer. Weather: 72F.

Bug Arena: Greenhouse
An indoor arena, the greenhouse is filled with different grasses, flowers, trees and Pokemon who reside here. Sprinklers constantly spray water everywhere, making the arena cool and moist. A grass floor makes this the optimal battlefield for bug types. There is a 50x50ft patch of grass where the main battles take place, although they most certainly will spill over to the surrounding areas. Weather: Sunny, 60F.

-------------------

Battle Rules: The battle rules will be completely unlike any battle style or gym style in the league. The match will be individual 1 on 1 matches. The first trainer to gain a 2 match advantage wins. If no trainer is ahead by two after 4 matches, one of the 2 remaining types is selected, and the match is sudden death with that one type.

All battles will take place on the appropriate battlefield, the Layer changing after each 1 on 1 match to reflect the current type battling.

All matches are equi-level.

Battles begin this way:

Challenger will post a link to an up-to-date listing of their squad. They will then select three types along with three Pokemon with their respective type they shall stand for. This means that dual-type Pokemon may only be used to represent one type, so choose wisely.

The Gym Leader will then select three other types, as long as the trainer has enough Pokemon to cover each selected type separately. The challenger will then select a Pokemon to represent each type.

The challenger will then select the first type and send out first. The Gym Leader will then attack first.

Whoever loses the previous 1 on 1 matchup will select the next type to battle, with the previous winner attacking first.

Additional Rules: The following rules are in effect for all Gym Matches taking place in this arena:

No Legendaries
No Type Changes
No Signature Moves, Abilities, et al.

"Mozz Rules" are in effect, meaning extra emphasis is placed on Pokemon intelligence, dodging ability and energy restrictions. In exchange for dealing with a harsh reffing environment, referees will be given the following bonus opportunity:

If all reffings are completed within 48 hours, with 2 exceptions lasting up to 96 hours, they will receive 1.5x the standard SP for a gym match.

So yeah.

Order for this:
Salamencia links to squad, and selects three types, and one Pokémon to represent each,
Concept selects three more types, and six Pokémon to represent all of them,
Sal picks three more Pokémon to represent, and sends out first 'mon,
'cept sends out a matching-type 'mon and orders,
Sal counter-orders,
I ref,
Sal orders,
'cept counter-orders,
I ref,
Rinse and repeat.

This will be nothing but JOYOUS BLISS!

Allons-y

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
The link's in my sig, as per usual. As for the Pokemon:

Rock: Rhyhorn (Yoroi)
Flying: Delibird (Tess)
Bug: Scizor (Link)

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Rock: Aerodactyl (Darwin, Male)
Flying: Gyarados (Monarch, Female)
Bug: Scizor (The Inevitable Scizor, Female)
Grass: Snover (Annabelle, Female)
Normal: Clefable (Ishmael, Male)
Water: Lapras (Odyssey, Female)
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

FFFFFFFFFFFF- Also, good luck to you, Concept. I could give the genders of my 'mon if it helps, Dave. Also, thanks for the reffing as usual. Anyway:

Grass: Grotle (Tetsu)
Normal: Aipom (Prima)
Water: Staryu (Celeste)

And I guess we'll start with Rock, so Yoroi (Female Rhyhorn) is the first up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arena description
Rock Arena: Steaming Quarry
The arena changes, this time to a gigantic quarry. The ground is dirt, but there's a good 30ft of rocks of varying sizes before you can get there.
Weather: Noon, Sunny, 105F.

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Darwin, take to the skies.

Begin with a dragon pulse when you have a shot. Otherwise, just dodge things by not being a retard.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Icy Wind to try and slow him down, then Thunderbolt.

WF

Old 09-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Round 1: BoltBeam

The huge, technology based cavern that is Mozz' Gym is quite a bewildering sight to behold, especailly to one unaccustomed to being in such a place. As two trainers ready themselves for battle, a figure on a platform toward the centre of the arena looks confused. Who the hell should report for a match that can cover so many variable battlefields?

"Eh, screw it. Welcome along to Mozz' Gym, where I am, for once, reporting for my own reffings. Shocker. But anyways, this isn't a Gym Battle for a badge, but merely a Gym Trainer battle between two up and coming trainers. On one hand, we have Concept, newly instated thievin' bastard Gym Trainer, while the challenger is Salamencia, another regular to the world of PASBL. The two appear to have selected the first matchup, and the arena shifts to simulate a huge quarry in the ground, with rocks a-plenty. Aha, gotcha."

At this, the ref selects a pair of PokéBalls, before lobbing them forward, and the figures of a large, sun-like Pokémon and a slightly smaller fish appear, the former levitating naturally while the latter rests on his lobed fins. Looking around, the Solrock begins to speak.

"So, it appears that myself and Axelia have been selected to ref on our type's turf. This would be because the first match up is Rock-solid, with Yoroi the Rhyhorn opening the challenge for her trainer, and Darwin the Aerodactyl starting off for the Gym Trainer." At this, an item is thrown from the reffing desk, which the Rock-type grabs with his pwychic abilities. "Ah, and with this useful PokéDex, let's get some info."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokéDex
Rhyhorn: (Ground/Rock) - Slung low to the ground, Rhyhorn are excellent at charging and tackling attacks. Any ramming attacks a Rhyhorn uses are more effective, as a Rhyhorn will be able to hit the Pokemon and keep running, adding a little 'trampling' damage.

Aerodactyl: (Rock/Flying) - Aerodactyl are a terrifying sight to some Pokemon. Against any Pokemon that would reasonably be afraid of Aerodactyl, an Aerodactyl’s fear-inducing attacks are more effective. Its biting attacks do slightly more damage.
"Well, that's certainly useful. Shame that against an airborne opponent kinda nerfs Rhyhorn's trait." the Relicanth notes. "Anyways, let's get on with the show!

"The first attack from Darwin is a Dragon Pulse, possibly in an ill-fated attempt to prove that Pterosaurs were genetically related to Dragons." Ra quips. "Even with her heightened intelligence, Yoroi finds her bulk too cumbersome to avoid the blow, taking a fair hit in the process, before retalliating with an Icy Wind. Darwin takes advantage of his brilliant scientific mind to evade the worst, but due to the attack's widespread nature, he still finds himself clipped, with his great wings drooping slightly from the numbing nature of the move."

"The Rhyhorn then digs into her quite varied special movepool, blasting a Thunderbolt forth. Darwin again uses his common sense to dodge, though gets clipped on the tail thanks to his slowed flight. But it appears to have jolted his muscles back into working properly." Axelia concludes.

"Good hits to both side leave both about equal on health, though Yoroi used more energy, most of her Electric reserves are gone, as are Darwin's Dragon energies."

"Nothing extra to report."

"Orders from the challenger."

Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Try a Rock Blast, spreading it out if possible. Then do it again, less widespread if the first hit.

WF

Last edited by Salamencia; 09-12-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

EDIT the first: Editing your shinxing orders whilst I'm ordering, heh? Blah.

Steel wing to harden your wings and charge through the blast, then aqua tail as you fly away before it can about face for a second try.

Last edited by Concept; 09-12-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Round 2: Divebomb

"Yoroi opens her mouth, summoning Rocks with which to Blast her foe, though in a wide-angled style of the move." Axelia reports. "However, Darwin coars his Wings in Steel energy, strangely not using it to attack, as the rocky projectiles bounce off them, only dealing light damage."

"The Rhyhorn then fires a more focused Rock Blast, but Darwin easily evades the attack thanks to his aerial prowess." observes Ra. "In fact, he even dives down the side of the stream of rocks, his Tail coated in strange Aquatic energy. Yoroi's eyes widen in concern, but once more, she is unable to dodge as the Aerodactyl slams his tail into her, showing why you don't bring a 4x weakness to a gym battle. The net result: Yoroi slumps to the ground, her eyes swirling, while Darwin wheels back into the air, screeching triumphantly." the Solrock concludes. "That's right folks, we have our first round decided, putting the Gym Trainer 1-0 up, as Yoroi is unable to battle!"

"Well, that was fun, if short-lived. This has been Axelia, along with Ra, reporting on this Rocky matchup for the DaveTFG Reffing Service."

At that, the two Pokémon are recalled to their PokéBalls. Up high, the referee asseses the situation, before hitting the speaker button. "Another Pokémon from the challenger to start off the next type matchup, if you please."

Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Not that it makes any difference, but when I said "charge through", I did mean for an attack :p.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Ah well.

Doesn't really matter though d:

Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Looking at the remaining options, it'll have to be Normal next. Hopefully I'll actually make use of Mozzrules this time.

Quote:
Normal Arena: Modified Clay Arena
The entire arena becomes a clay battlefield. Where the two Pokemon are released, as well as interspersed among the arena, are pools lined with concrete measuring about 50ft in diameter. Weather: Daytime, partly cloudy, 72F.
Prima, time to prove your worth to the non-believers.

WF

Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Ishmael, let's go.

Icy wind to uproar.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Fake Out, let him Uproar, then Dynamicpunch. Yes, I'm using all of my Fighting energy already.

WF

Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Round 3: Normally Abnormal

Seeing that the combatants have selected their next Pokémon, and the arena shifts to a clay battlefield with pools, the ref selects two more PokéBalls, throwing them into the Normal Arena. With twin flashes of light, a majestic Tauros appears, pawing the clay with his hoof, while an oblivious-looking beaver Pokémon appears next to him. The two look around, before the more aquatic of the two speaks up.

"Well, it's quite a Normal battle in an abnormal Gym next." the Bibarel begins. "This leg of the match will be commentated on by myself, Cana, along with my comrade Bos." Looking down, she picks up the device left by the previous pair, before scanning both of the newly arrived Pokémon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokéDex
Aipom: (Normal) Aipom are more nimble, particularly with their tails. They can anchor themselves to something with their tails, leaving their limbs free to do other things. They are also more likely to stop from falling if there’s something within grabbing distance of their tail.

Clefable: (Normal) Clefable are a bit reclusive, and are naturally shy, so they are not comfortable around large amounts of people, unless their bio states otherwise. Thus, stadiums or grandstands with onlookers make them nervous and reduce their accuracy slightly. Clefairy and Clefable can jump high and far, and can use their wings to fly (not fast or well, but they can). The Clefairy family cannot see in total darkness, but they can see better than most in low light.
"And the Gym Trainer's selection, Ishmael the Clefable, takes a deep breath to prepar an Icy Wind." the Tauros begins. "However, Prima puts her high speed and nimbleness to work, darting in with a light slap, but it Fakes Out the larger Normal-type."

"Angered at this, the Clefable lets out an Uproar, causing light damage to the Aipom as the soundwaves blow her back slightly." continues Cana. "However, Prima focuses fighting energy into her tailarm, which glows as she scampers back. Thanks to the Gym environment, Ishmael is not stupid enough to let himself be hit with the attack, and tries to sidestep as the Aipom swings her fist at him. However, he still gets clipped, and a small explosion forces the two apart a bit, both ready to continue."

"This round has left Prima with the health advantage, with Ishmael trailing a bit, though with the major typespam out of the way, it shouldn't be hard to make a comeback. He also used light energy, with Prima using a lot more, with her Fighting energy all but gone."

"Orders from the Challenger."

Old 09-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Ok, now that I've got that out of the way... Swift x2, since there's no point in trying to predict a Normal type.

WF

Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Skull bash through swift to knock him down, then continue the movement into body slam to pin. If he's pinned under your weight and you've got the angle, dynamicpunch.

Potential three-mover confirmed.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #19
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Round 4: A Dynamic Conclusion

"Waving her tail, Prima launches a Swift barrage of starry projectiles. However, Ishmael takes this as a calling card and charges into a Skull Bash, running through the stream of stars, which bounce away from his reinforced cranium." grunts the Tauros. "Finishing her flurry, the Aipom squeaks as she gets smacked backward by the overweight fairy. Putting his momentum to work, the Clefable follows through, Body Slamming the hapless monkey before she can get off a second attack."

"Resorting to firing from her mouth, Prima launches another Swift barrage, but this isn't enough to shift Ishmael one bit." Cana oberserves. "Continuing to squish the primate's lower body under his bulk, the Clefable raises a fist, which glows with Dynamic fighting energy, before landing a solid Punch. The impact blows the two apart, but as the smoke clears, we see Ishmael getting to his feet, while Prima lays in the dust, out cold from that vicious attack." she concludes. "Yes, Prima is unable to battle! Being 2-0 up on matches, the winner of the battle is the Gym Trainer, Concept!"

"Concept wins by KO and receives 2 KOs and 4 TP
Salamencia receives 2 TP
DaveTheFishGuy receives 3 SP for fast reffings of a Gym Trainer Battle."

"Once more, short and sweet. Good game Sal, but you just left yourself open for Concept's brutal strategies. Good luck next time. Anyways, this has been Cana, along with Bos, reporting for the DaveTFG Reffing service."

The two Normal-types are recalled to their PokéBalls, as the arena shifts to the starting field. The Referee hits the stop butting on the transmitter, before hitting the speaker again. "Show's over folks, move along. Nothing to see here." he says, before releasing a Mantine, hopping on the ray's back, and flying out of the Gym.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #20
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Heh, sorry Sal. Exploiting Mozzrules to their fullest.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Damn, that was quick. It's quite clear that I need to get a better strategy together, along with a squad that can handle this gym. Nice match from you though, Concept.

Also, does the extra SP that Mozz offers happen for GT battles?

WF

Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #22
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Idk, Dave should ask Mozz. I kinda assumed that was for reffing for Mozz, rather than for reffing Mozz rules, tbh lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Gym Battles