View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #651
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Minor thought, having watched as far as episode 10:

Spoiler: show
So originally upon the reveal that Kuvira was planning on attacking Republic City, my reaction was that it was a stupid plot point that kinda diverged from Kuvira's actions so far (unifying the Earth Kingdom). I just remembered why it's not - Republic City and the area it controls were once part of the Earth Kingdom, and were the initial Fire Nation colonies at the start of hundred years war. A century later when Ozai is defeated, the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom couldn't agree who got control of the colonies (which had at that point been FN for a hundred years but were historically EK) so they ended up becoming separate. Kuvira likely views Republic City as rightfully part of her nation.

However, I only know this from wiki/the comics. It's never once been raised in the show, which is poor writing if they're now going to use it to justify a major plot development. And if they don't justify Kuvira's attack on Republic City, then it's also shitty writing. This season is kinda disappointing me after last season. Kuvira is believable, but only because I have experience of people like UnownMew - people like Kuvira are infuriating, pathetic and petty, not interesting major villains. I just find myself kinda grumpy whenever she's on screen.

I'm also annoyed that they've opted to have Toph sit out on the basis of "lol old". Bumi was 112 when he single-handedly freed Omashu and helped liberate Ba Sing Se from comet-enhanced firebenders, you're telling me Toph can't/won't stomp some of Kuvira's troops into the ground? The worlds greatest metal bender was ten feet from a giant metal superweapon and did nothing.

Unrelatedly, I feel like Korras confrontation with Zaheer could've been the backbone of an entire episode and was kinda rushed. But he was, as ever, the shows only villain to rival Zuko. That was nice.

Last edited by Concept; 12-12-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote