Thread: Slime Tensei
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Large scale war has been depicted in anime though. Berserk, Berserk trilogy films, Grancrest Seki all have good and realistic depictions of large scale battles.

I understand that showing a fight with a dozen people against 200,000 isn't going to be realistic, but the whole scene isn't even a fight. We don't see swords clashing or narrow misses or perfect parrying. We see Michael Bay explosions. Also, how does like a dozen tornadoes not take out 200k orcs by themselves?
Golden Age battles commonly resulted in someone pairing off with a boss, like Guts versus Boscogn, or Guts & Griffith versus Zodd. I can't remember a single situation that involved the small Band of Hawk mobilizing against a superior force and it being thrilling, just because in order to make it interesting and meet time constraints, the smaller force has to be so much stronger it's a one-sided slaughter.

I've never seen Grancrest Seki but you can't compare TV anime to a film. There's inherently not fair.

Even in Youjo Senki which had nothing but large scale battles, it usually took the narrative focus rather than actually showing huge troops dueling in a visceral way. I guess that's the form to imitate - going forward and killing the leader so you don't have to deal with the rest of the army. I'm not going to expect that out of anything but a war anime, but it's fair to think about I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The whole scene (I won't call it a battle) could have been done better, but then we would need to build up the ogres more. We'd need to see their emotions about losing their village to the orcs and see how truly defeated they were, how horrible the loss is, how powerless they felt. Actually see their losing battle against the orcs, like them giving their best and still losing despite their efforts. Then once this battle comes around, they showcase their improvements thanks to Rimuru's naming. I know this was what they were probably going for, but they skipped the first part and we're not really given any emotional bond with the ogres.
Yup, I agree with all this. The ogres are a stupid plot device for simplifying the battle and the added sex appeal has been cringeworthy to me. Even if you say the ogres were stronger than the entire hobgoblin village prior to their evolution, it's still bizarre to think the evolution now allows them to one shot a 200K sized army.

In Baldur's Gate, you'd run out of spells and run out of consumables before you could finish an army that big, even with full access to epic abilities. Maybe show tension by consuming magicules or something??
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote