View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
Talon87
Nebby. Back into the bag.

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
The best Tetris iteration by far is the one on the original Game Boy. In a close second is its predecessor on the NES. None of the others even come close. Not Tetris 2, not Super Tetris, none of them. Series seriously went downhill. They should've just kept porting the game on over to the new hardware. Same Game Boy feel, new look. (SAME FEEL. Can't emphasize this enough. HAS TO HAVE THE SAME FEEL!) You know it's bad when I'd rather play the TI-83 port of Tetris than play Tetris Worlds for the Game Boy Advance.

Considering the Fine Bros. put out a video several years ago about kids reacting to Game Boy and how a lot of the spoiled little brats thought it was a shitty mobile phone and didn't immediately know it for what it is, I'm not too surprised that younger children don't know what Tetris is. The brand name is zealously protected and, like I've just said, none of the iterations post-GB were any good anyway. The same way that many people here probably could not have told me the name of Tetris Worlds before I said it, because their first Nintendo handheld was a DS and they still haven't hit the age of 20, I could see kids born in the year 2008 not knowing the name "Tetris" period. It's entirely possible that on playing the game they soon realized, "Oh! Like _______!" and compared it with some other, less-known knock-off that is better known to them because that's the one they played on their mobile gaming devices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A big one for me is cursive. Those of us born before 1992 were on the tail end of cursive being mandatory in public schools. I know many, many working adults in their 20s who either don't know how to write in cursive or else who do and expect me to be really impressed by it. On a deep, subconscious level, I don't think these kids understand that everyone my age and older knew how to write in cursive at one point or another and many of us still know how to do so.

Music's another one. As a product of the era of my upbringing, I still (and probably forever will) think of most '80s music as "the music that just came out that I just barely missed" and think of most '90s music as "contemporary." It can be pretty weird (perhaps surreal's the better word here) to talk with someone in their 20s and have them speak of '90s music the way I speak of '80s music, but it's perfectly understandable to me why they would do that.

Cinema and television. It can be strange when you were well into your teens when some great movie or TV show came out, and so of course you saw it live and participated in all of the conversations that took place at the time, but then years later you discuss the movie with a 20-something and he talks about the movie as though it were The Godfather or some other classic of cinema that is on everyone's To See list and that of course came out before you were born. There are also those moments where you're in a conversation with three people -- yourself, someone your age or older, and someone ten years younger -- and you make pop cultural references that to you are obvious and anyone should know but which the 20-something-year old has no idea what you're talking about. I had one of these just the other day in fact. Was doing a silly dance that made an older coworker laugh. Asked her conversationally if she remembered the Urkel. (Of course she did.) Then, on explaining it to a younger coworker, I was asked: "Who's Steve Urkel?" That really made me feel old. I feel like everyone who was watching television in the early 1990s remembers Steve Urkel and Family Matters, but apparently anyone born around the time the show was canceled hasn't got a clue about it. Keep in mind, this wasn't just a show I say was popular because I knew about it in my own little bubble: this was a national craze that spawned all manner of memorabilia including a pull-the-string talking Steve Urkel doll that was one of the hot-ticket items of its holiday season. I don't see a pull-the-string Sheldon doll or a pull-the-string Ron Swanson doll. I don't see Andy-O's cereal or Leonard Puffs cereal. Urkel had a cereal. Urkel had toys. Urkel was everywhere. And yet? Today's young adults haven't got a clue who he even is.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote