View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Disclaimer: any comments in this post may contain spoilers through Episode 03. None contains spoilers beyond that.

Looking over your guys' posts, it seems like Lanturn likes Marry, Lost really likes Kano, and blaze is going bazonkers for Marry. Connor loves Marry as well, and even Yuki writes that Marry steals the show. Geez. Was I the only one who was put off by some of (what felt to me to be) her more artificial moments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
Marry (omg illya who said you could come to mekakucity actors)
Marry wishes she were as cute as Ilya. I would link to the evidence but it began to get far too much and far too necessitating of ugly spoiler disclaimers. Suffice to say ... Marry is cute too, but Illyasviel is in a whole other league.

Quote:
Marry has

Spoiler: show
"locking eyes" and by god are you based on Illya she had like the exact same thing.
I doubt that she's based on Ilya, and I don't think your submitted evidence constitutes proof that she is either.

Red eyes with the ability to freeze someone in place wasn't original when Nasu wrote it either. Many stories have supernatural beings using their eyes to freeze someone in place. Witches, vampires, children from Hell, the list goes on.

If Jin says in an interview that Illyasviel von Einzbern inspired the design for Marry, then I'll hand it to you. But for the time being, their personalities are pretty different despite the whole "look at me, I'm a kid" factor.

Quote:
Ene is
some super hacker (further supporting my hypothesis she's actually human and not just a really sophisticated AI (not Geth enough *shot*))
I think you may be leaping to conclusions too hastily.

I agree that it would not be surprising if Ene were actually an avatar front for an actual person. However, when Momo refers to Ene as a "super computer hacker," it could be either one of these two things:
  1. She isn't aware that Ene is an artificial intelligence.
  2. She is aware that Ene is an artificial intelligence but that doesn't matter: it's still Ene who is the "master computer hacker," even if she is only just a program, and thus that's who Momo is referring to
Obviously Ene had to come from somewhere. And unless Jin is going to argue one of those farfetched tales where Ene was "born from the Internet," "a consciousness that arose from the Internet's primordial soup," then it means that Ene has to have a creator. A human creator or team of creators. Given stories like this one, the odds are 9:1 that she was created by an individual. Now whether that individual is in fact "the real Ene" or whether the real Ene is the program we have and her creator is nothing at all like her, that will remain to be seen.

But I gotta thank you for bringing this theory up. I feel like this series is in a prime position for a lot of fun speculation. It's a shame that at least two people posting here (Yuki and Lost) are going to have to recuse themselves from such discussions, and it'd be an even greater shame if more of you were to join them. (RESIST THE TEMPTATION! DON'T CAVE TO SPOILERS! ) Part of the fun in watching a series like Mekakucity Actors weekly is discussing the mystery elements with your fellow unspoiled viewers. Whether it's Hunter x Hunter and debating who will win a particular fight to the death, whether it's Fate/stay night and trying to figure out the servants' identities, whether it's Kanon and trying to find out what happened seven years ago that Yuuichi has no memory of, it's fun to examine the available evidence and speculate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
I remember you mentioned the possibility of Marry being the Hanako (Katawa Shoujo) of the gang, and I will say that in the manga Marry was much more like her.
She was scared to come out of her room to meet Momo and hid behind Kido. Marry in the animé is much bolder and confronts people more often when antagonized (see her indignant "I'm not a ball of fluff!", which wasn't in the manga - but she still froze Kano for making fun of her about spilling the tea). Her moe moments such as the scene with massager are played up as well, as I talk about in my post on the subject.
That's a shame then. I think I would have vastly preferred HanakoMarry to ManakaMarry. Like Nagi no Asukara's Manaka, yes, this one does seem very outgoing and bubbly. Like, even if she is soft-voiced and allegedly timid, she actually seems to display a great deal of social normalcy. (I'd call it "social courage" but that's not quite the right word, haha. )

Oh well. Marry doesn't have to be Hanako to be awesome. And she doesn't have to be anyone else either. Marry just needs to be Marry, and whether I think Marry's awesome or not will be up to how the chips fall. But yes, if the manga version of Marry is different from the anime's and is closer to Hanako, I do think I'd have preferred to have seen her. I think it's too late to even entertain wishful thinking on that front though. Episode 03 so thoroughly established what sort of personality Marry has that I can't imagine backpedaling to a Hanako personality at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
>Base

It's SHAFT being SHAFT. The base was a lot smaller and more normal in the PVs/manga. They did the same thing with Shintaro's room too. Because ART/TECHNOLOGY.

I am a little disappointed they didn't reveal the exact location of the base yet, since it's kinda become symbolic of the series as the meeting place of the Mekakushi Dan, like the Literary Clubroom is to the SOS Brigade. (I mean, I guess my current user location kinda spoils it lol.) It was actually incorporated onstage during one of the live concerts.
The first part's disappointing to hear and is another solid example of Shaft and I not being on the same page when it comes to how to visually present a narrative. The second part sounds cute. It makes me wonder how many kids signed up for the Lit Club in 2006, 2007, and 2008 following that initial surge of Haruhism. Not sure the same will apply to the Blindfold Brigade's hideout, but it'd be kinda cute if it did. (In before it's an actual place and Yuki wants to go on pilgrimage there to check it out. I would want to if I were a big fan! )
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote