View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
... I don't know that you have much say in the matter if you wish to continue to browse the Internet beyond 2020. Google is leading the charge in HTML5 adoption, making use of their immensely popular YouTube property to bit by bit migrate society away from one shackled to proprietary plug-in technologies like Flash and Java to one which can find its entire toolkit within the native browser language of HTML. While most videos on YouTube are still in either .flv or .mp4 format, most/all new uploads also have HTML5 versions and it's believed that .flv will eventually be phased out entirely.

It's hard to deny that Google's influence is both large and wide. They are not the be-all, end-all for the Internet ... but they're as prime a mover as is Microsoft. Indeed, I'd draw a lot of comparisons between HTML5 adoption and Google in 2015 with HTML4 adoption and Microsoft in 1998. (I still remember when "HTML4" was a thing people said!)
HTML5 will never be standard. I only have to point out what happened in 2007 with the iPhone - previously, the internet was very torrent heavy for file-sharing since that dodged ads and paying fees. 30% of the internet's traffic was due to bittorrent in 2004.

The restructuring of the internet toward stream-oriented material (which is basically a form of DRM) and javascript made ads unavoidable, but it went hand in hand with the NSA surveillance and the killing of Demonoid, MegaUpload and crippling of TPB. But torrents still exist, as do people who go "un-plugged" from Google and the like. I'm sure Google hates those people, just like they hate Cyanogen, but too bad.

As for me, I prefer .gifs to .webms.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote