View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #4039
Shuckle
waaaah!

The whole thing doesn't really make sense or add up to me.

Barr's claim is:

Quote:
The Special Counsel's investigation did not find that the Trump campaign or anyone associated with it conspired or coordinated with Russia in its efforts to influence the 2016 U.S. presidential election. As the report states: “[T]he investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.”
What puzzles me about this is that there were a great many credible allegations of collusion between very prominent members of the Trump campaign, Paul Manafort as the most obvious example. Mueller specifically charged Manafort with sharing polling data with the Russian government, which was behind the IRA and other entities mentioned by Barr in his summary.

I don't really understand how Mueller/Barr can say "there was no coordination or collusion between anyone associated with the Trump campaign and Russian election interference efforts," when Manafort has already been charged with coordination and collusion with Russian election interference efforts.

Does Manafort not count? Is Barr deliberately publishing a misleading summary and analysis, and if so, why? Were the allegations against Manafort concluded to be false? How does Trump himself fit into this - what did he do and why? The Barr report is confusing and distressing not because it says "sorry folks, nothing else happened" - it says "Sorry folks, nothing EVER happened."