View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #461
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
I was explaining 思う "to think; to believe" vs. 考える "to think" to a coworker yesterday, shortly followed by 思う vs. 信じる "to believe [in]". He remarked that it was difficult to wrap his brain around how a language could have more than one verb for thinking or for belief.

Unrelated to this conversation, I was just now looking up a particular application of the verb kakeru that was new to me and was reminded, courtesy of WWWJDIC, just how many definitions there are for kakeru, both in the sense of "we have multiple different words for the same homophone" and in the sense of "even within a given spelling we have so many different definitions." Observe:

(Click for full size)

Spellings 駆ける, 掛ける, and (as a boy's name) 翔 I would say are all very common. (欠片/欠けら as kakera the noun I would say is too.) And within 掛ける, we have twenty-four different applications in the Japanese language, applications many of which would be covered by different words in English. You "hang" a picture, you "hoist" a sail. Things "take" time, they "cost" money. You "make" or "place" a phone call, you "fasten" a lock, you "sprinkle" sand ...

I had forgotten just how many different applications kakeru takes in Japanese. It's a bit nuts, honestly. And it's a good case study for second-language acquisition when looking at the Japanese native speaker who acquires English as a second language. Having to go from, in your native tongue, one word which covers aaaaaaall these bases to having to go to 24+ different verbs and having to keep straight in which scenarios you use which ones ... Man!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote