View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #34
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
- What defines "learning something new"? Typespam is one thing that certainly affects balance, sure, but - pardon me if we've already brought this up - why is it that the opponent who sends his, say, Escavalier out against a Charizard is not similarly judged? If the matchup was done willingly then, well, sure - clearly the Escavalier user must already have something in mind, in which case there's no problem. If the matchup was done out of sheer ignorance - could we not say that it's the Escavalier user who needs to learn something new?
Something I would like to mention is that the problem seems to be the reverse- not sending a Escavalier against a Charizard, but rather sending a Charizard against a Escavalier. Granted, if your opponent has a Charizard, sending out Escavalier is kinda derpish. However, 3x rather than 4x means it is impossible to KO an opponent with a single move. This has two important effects- firstly, the more obvious one is that an opponent must spend more than 1HB to KO an opponent, and that the pokemon who was blasted is left with a full HB of health. Now, using the previous example, let's say the Charizard used Fire Blast followed by Flamethrower- that's between 1.6 and 1.8 HBs of Energy. While that may not seem like a lot, it's slightly more than a quarter of their energy- a low price to pay for KOing a 4HB pokemon, but it's more than they would have to pay otherwise. Of course, the Charizard user could not have down syndrome and use Ember or some such rather than Flamethrower. However, the more important point is my second one- The inability to KO the opponent with a single offensive move brings the often forgotten significance of a move into play. Requiring two moves to KO the opponent gives them the opportunity to retaliate with one of their own. Now, the repercussions of this can vary from the aforementioned Escavalier getting off a Frustration to a Corsola Mirror Coating a Gigalith's Solarbeam or the Escavalier unleashing some sort of Rock-typed sig move. But, wait, it doesn't stop there. Having to use two moves has massive effects on the next round. Having to use a single move would serve to buffer the effects of using such a high-power move, leaving the pokemon which just exploited the typespam so ruthlessly in a relatively good position for the next round. However, having to use two moves, one of them being high-powered, will most likely leave them wide open to massive retribution from the next opponent.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote