View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 03:29 AM   #3
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
It's interesting to me because Nintendo doesn't care about the Hong Kong fans' protest. Japan can be threatened but this isn't the way to do it.

For example, a few years ago Al-Qaeda learned that the final fight Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part III featured a number of blasphemies toward Islam. Dio Brando was fingering through a Qu'ran, and Dio's battle with Jotaro lead to the destruction of mosques. Al-Qaeda threatened Shueisha with violence if they didn't stop distributing Jojo, and they shut down production immediately. They even forced Araki to redraw whole scenes of his manga (in his Steel Ball Run art-style, no less) as censorship, and the whole matter delayed production for several years.

So, Hong Kong weeaboos status: not scary. Al-Qaeda status: bricks.
I believe Talon told me about this a long time ago, scary stuff! I'm a huge advocate for freedom of speech (period), but this is especially true when things like a holy book or sites of worship are featured for the geographic and cultural back-drops needed for an accurate portrayal, not the intention to be a dick.
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote