Thread: Cells at Work!
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 AM   #12
Talon87
Nebby. Back into the bag.

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Episode 07: I'm several weeks late to the party, but I just watched this episode!

Spoiler: show
I enjoyed it! It addressed some of my concerns I'd had from Episode 06, like how come we didn't see the author exploring how cancer cells promote angiogenesis. (Turns out this was mostly explored in Episode 07, and as a major plot point to boot! )

The episode also surprised me by making us feel sympathy towards cancer cells. I thought the backstory of Cancer Cell's escape from the lab was really rather well done. I thought Neutrophil's answers to Cancer Cell, at the very end of the episode, were also well done and allowed the audience to reconcile facts with facts. (Facts that lead us to feel sorry for the cancer cells, and facts that lead us to where we know we want to wind up in the end -- "but the cancer cells need to die! ^^;;")

I noticed a lot of animation budget-related things in this episode. Lots of zoom-outs/zoom-ins on still frames, and the still frames to boot weren't terribly well drawn. I'm not sure why exactly this happened, especially since we know this anime is being animated by action animation novices-turned-experts Studio David. They should have known to properly budget for this big cancer showdown in Episode 07. Seems so strange that this is the episode with faces like this:

I mean, what even is this.

I think it comes down to how this episode had a little more action than average for the series (though the series has always got action), as well as how this week's character-of-the-week had such a unique, asymmetric design that required the animators to painstakingly redraw it each and every time. Still though. You can't end your episode like this and have the drawing be this low resolution. It's just so weird and so noticeable, to have a static final shot be less prettily drawn than an in-motion shot in the middle of one of the episode's less important scenes.

Cancer Cell's voice was incredibly familiar to me, but I couldn't quite place it. Ishida Akira. You may know him from such roles as:
  • Chrno in Chrno Crusade
  • Togami in Dangan Ronpa
  • Uryuu Ryuunosuke in Fate/Zero (this sounds the least like him here!)
  • Kuchiki Manabu in Genshiken
  • Katsura Kotarou in Gintama (this sounds the closest to him here!)
  • Saburo Mutsumi in Keroro Gunsou (okay, maybe this does!)
  • Yunan in Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (hmm ...! Maybe this is our new winner! ^^; )
  • Akise Aru in Mirai Nikki
  • Gaara in Naruto
  • Natori Shuuichi in Natsume Yuujinchou (OH MAN, THIS ONE TOO!)
  • Nagisa Kaworu in Neon Genesis Evangelion
This is a super partial list. Dude is hugely prolific, which one would expect of someone tapped to VA a major character in either of FSN or F/Z. I omitted a good number of shows I've seen him in, to say nothing of the many shows I haven't seen that I omitted from this list but which he might be super well-known to you from. Check out the list for yourself! It's pretty crazy. Hataraku Saibou isn't pulling any punches its casting.

Our weekly token dose of platelet cuteness. Good God this girl is cute. =D
Talon87 is online now   Reply With Quote