View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #480
Meetan
Thunder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskerade View Post
Meetan:

The quartermaster’s grin widens once you accept his proposal.

“We’re not saints here. The Marquis may be a brilliant man, but he’s still a man. He expects us to have the balls to fight for a position, so I’m not too worried about confronting him. You should be, though,” he adds with a dry chuckle. “As for the Bastion, that’s a problem for the Marshals that sent you to piece together; have fun with that.”

He makes it clear he isn’t here to help you. Your agreement only goes as far as you not being caught, and him being promoted; other than that, you’re still a Marshal and he’s still a Shell.

“Listen up kiddie. I send the Marquis 80% of whatever the grunts pillage and bring to me in return for payment – the “proof” I told you about, anything they retrieve from their missions that we can use. So you take that box over there and deliver it to the Marquis’s room – tell them you came from me and I’ll vouch for you.” He points with his head to a rather large, heavy-looking cardboard box leaning against a nearby wall. “You’ll find a flight of stairs next to this room; go to the upper floor; it’ll be the third door to your right.”

He walks toward the door again, unlocks it and opens it. Then, bowing sarcastically as if you were royalty, he motions for you to leave.

“Not to pressure you or anything, but that delivery is already fifteen minutes late. Better get going if I were you,” he adds with satisfaction in his voice.

Are you on-board with this plan? What will you do now?
All of that made sense. Really, the fact that Alice had been sent on this mission without any kind of briefing made her wonder if the Marshalls were already corrupted, sending Mareep to the slaughter like this. Maybe she'd find out if she lived. That aside, the box that the quartermaster had assigned her looked heavy - far too heavy for her. Axel was too pink and distinct to bring out here in public while undercover, but... Well, she could only think of one other who could easily navigate this haul upstairs.

From a Love Ball came a rare release: a sword like ghost with a bright pink strip of fabric that fluttered from the hilt. It soon faded, though, the colour shifting into blue - a ghostly illusion, of course. "Hermes, help me take these upstairs, please." She said. It seemed to fade into the floor before rising up from beneath, the box balancing mysteriously on the long blade. Pokemon were weird, man.

"Yeah, we'll be quick." Alice replied, but she didn't sound optimistic as she headed out, ushering Hermes to join her up the stairs. Cathedrals. Why couldn't they have lifts?
"I'm surprised you let me out here... For a menial task?" The sword's thoughts echoed in her brain. Alice cringed at the sound.
"Axel's too obviously mine. And anyway, this is about to get really messy." Alice answered him.
"I see. And you would like to ensure you're protected, princess, of course." The Pokemon mused, a sinister undertone to its assumption. "Don't worry, I can see to that."
"I'm sure you can..."

Stopping shortly before the very top, Alice took the heavy weight from Hermes, struggling. Yikes. Hermes faded, invisible at her side, and the trainer proceeded to the door as directed. If there were guards, obviously she would announce her delivery with an apology, but if not she would knock and do the same before hopefully being allowed in.