View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 01:32 AM   #27
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

As someone who also loses more often then not, should we decide to keep the current system I would also like to see "progress" despite losing.

Also I see your points Connor and I have a slightly clearer idea on what to say now. Maybe direct numbers for terms aren't quite the answer (i would again point to dnd as a model of what works but its nbd) but maybe we should standardize some other things. I want to point to one of the questions I received in my reref test as an example.

Quote:
Anna has a Female Nidoqueen (Level 6)
Johnson has a Male Poliwrath (Level 6)
Lawn Arena

"Nidoqueen, use Earth Power, then remain evasive."
"Poliwrath, use Surf to ride over that Earth Power, then charge him with Waterfall."

Both are fresh into battle.
Now I am going to post the current descriptions of the moves Surf and Earth Power.
Quote:
Surf (WA) -- The user forms a large wave that heads out to wash over the opponent, dealing heavy damage for heavy Water energy. If the user is not in a large body of water, it must create the water from thin air and the wave will be smaller than it might otherwise be, dealing only considerable damage. The user may send a Surf wave out ahead of it or choose to ride on it as it travels.

Earth Power (GD) - The user stomps on the ground and channels a stream of ground energy towards the foe, which erupts out from under them in a narrow column, dealing significant damage. Energy usage depends on the type of terrain - for example, thick clay will be more difficult to channel through than soft dirt, the attack generally requiring significant energy. It can also be used to manipulate the ground's shape somewhat, though more than slight alterations will tire the user significantly. This attack only works if the energy is sent through the ground - it cannot be used directly on an opponent. This attack has a 10% chance to lower the target's special defense.
The issue I have is that the size and range of neither move is quantified. How large is a "large wave"? How tall should that narrow column of earth reach? Should the earth power scrape the poliwrath's feet or should it be dodged entirely? And does evasive mean? It's spending a whole move to do so does that mean a good clean partial dodge? (I was going to say nidoqueen would be a larger target to the obviously smaller poliwrath but turns out they are the same size, who knew?) But that's not the case for something like raichu vs aggron where aggron really doesn't have a lot of business dodgeing the smaller and quicker raichu without things like teleporting or agility.

What I am realizing is, maybe I'm not as pro mathasb as I thought and maybe I'm more anti-ref's discretion. And I'm not saying it should be done away with entirely (I realize how unfun that would be.) but more things should be standardized and defined. Again I look to DND where spells have not only their own description and damage but also ranges and areas of effect. For example I will give a surf-like spell from the current dnd handbook. I'm not saying it would be one to one but the ranges give an idea of what I've talking about.

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Tsunami
A wall of water springs into existence at a point you choose within range. You can make the wall up to 300 feet long, 300 feet high, and 50 feet thick. The wall lasts for the duration.

When the wall appears, each creature within its area must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 6d10 bludgeoning damage, or half as much damage on a successful save.

At the start of each of your turns after the wall appears, the wall, along with any creatures in it, moves 50 feet away from you. Any Huge or smaller creature inside the wall or whose space the wall enters when it moves must succeed on a Strength saving throw or take 5d10 bludgeoning damage. A creature can take this damage only once per round. At the end of the turn, the wall's height is reduced by 50 feet, and the damage creatures take from the spell on subsequent rounds is reduced by 1d10. When the wall reaches 0 feet in height, the spell ends.

A creature caught in the wall can move by swimming. Because of the force of the wave, though, the creature must make a successful Strength (Athletics) check against your spell save DC in order to move at all. If it fails the check, it can't move. A creature that moves out of the area falls to the ground.

I'm saying let Ash thunderbolt the sprinklers, but quantify what it means to "Quick! Dodge it!"

As for the second part Connor I see your point and counter with this: make the challenger squad first. It's what you do in the gym leader tower in stadium (provided you aren't looking up the roster online) They will already know what type of Pokémon they are battling, and maybe have an idea of what sigged Pokémon the leader would bring (although ideally a gym leader would have more than 6 sigged Pokémon of the type) and it will be a greater test of ability making the badges truly special achievements.

Interested in the PASBL (Pokemon Anime Style Battle League)? Read our Getting Started thread! Got a question? Go to our Q/A thread.

Spoiler: show