View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 04:08 AM   #185
Maskerade
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
War of the Roses

Team Lilligant

Petunia excitedly skips over to Team Elegant while holding three envelopes in her hand. “We’re in the lead!” She chuckles. “Congratulations Alex on getting first place in the first event! Rorik and Lucas, you also did great! It was so much fun watching everyone.” She gives everyone a big smile and begins to hand everyone a single envelope. “Well, it’s time for the next part of the event so I guess I should explain what you’re supposed to do with those envelopes, huh?” She cheerfully says before she begins to explain. “For this round, we will be having a scavenger hunt! As members of Team Elegant you will all be following clues and exploring Queen Lilligant’s domain. I got up extra early this morning in order to set this up so I’m very excited to see how all of you do! All you need to do is open up your envelopes whenever you’re ready and solve the riddle to find your first clue! It should be a piece of cake for you guys since you’re already in first! You can each bring along one Pokemon too.” She begins to walk away with a huge smile on her face while waving. “Oh! It’s a bit of a maze in there so be careful not to get lost!”

Each of you look down at the white envelopes you are now holding in your hands. Deciding that it’s probably best not to waste any more time you all carefully open them and pull out the piece of paper inside. Each of you were given a piece of paper with different riddles written on them:

Alex – I can be blown but I’m not a bubble, I drop but I’m not a tear. What am I?
Lucas – From house to house I go, sometimes narrow, sometimes wide. And whether there’s rain or snow I always stay outside. What am I?
Rorik – I am a purple flower that you might smell in the shower. What am I?

Now that you have all read your hints, you each begin to walk into Queen Liligant’s domain as you attempt to solve your riddles…

At first glance, Queen Lilligant’s area is made up of tall orderly hedges that have lilies of many different colors adorning the branches. There is a section where the hedges part which appears to be welcoming visitors to enter it in order to explore deeper within the domain. Beyond this opening, it becomes clear that this place isn’t as organized as it may have seemed from the outside, although, it is still just as beautiful. Beyond the entrance, the hedges split into several different footpaths and yet there are no signs that state which path goes where; this place is a maze and it’s easy to get lost if one isn’t careful. As visitors maneuver their way through the maze there are several different things that may be spotted along the way depending on which direction is taken.
From the entrance, the walkway that leads to the right has bellflowers that line up on the ground next to the hedges along either side of a grassy path. Visitors who follow along this path will notice that the bellflowers will gradually change to allium and that the allium eventually changes to dwarf iris. This pattern continues with the flowers that line this walkway constantly changing but they all have one thing in common, and that is that they are all purple. This path continues for a while until it eventually winds around and connects to another area with random turns.

The left path from the entrance is paved with concrete, it is well maintained with no cracks or weeds growing along the edges. This path leads to a clearing with a small water fountain that is decorated with a Petilil figure in the center. It’s not unusual to find Pokemon playing in the fountain at any given time during the day. From here the path splits two ways, the concrete paving continues to the right which leads to a small area of various different kinds of flowers grouped together decorating the ground. The path that is to the left of the fountain is covered in gravel and leads to a small gathering of trees, each tree has leaves with a different shade of green going from dark to light. The tree with the darkest leaves is in the center while the lighter shades surround it. The bark on the tree with the lightest leaves is a bit fragile and when looked at closely there are sharp pieces of wood sticking out as it chips away.

The path that leads straight from the entrance is carefully paved with stones of all different sizes. This path eventually ends with two paths splitting off to the left and right. The stones continue to be laid out in both directions and posted on the wall is the first sign. “This is the path that leads to Queen Lilligant’s throne” The sign isn’t clear which path that would be since the path splits in two directions and when glancing down either way it is clear that both of these paths lead to even more separate paths but visitors who are lucky enough to choose the right direction will find themselves in the queen’s throne room. The throne room is a very large circular area with a beautiful flowerbed in the center where the queen usually resides. Surrounding that are smaller flower beds where Petilil surround her. However, if a wrong turn is made there are numerous other places visitors may end up.

Please post your reply by August 12th. Please choose one Pokemon to bring with you for this event. After coming up with an answer to the riddle, state the answer in your response and which area you plan to explore.
They were in the lead. That was... quite remarkable. Through little merit of his own, no doubt, but they'd contributed which was more than Rorik had expected at first. But now, a wholly different challenge awaited them, one much more suited to his kind of intellect.

It seems the Garden Rulers aren't satisfied just yet. They'll have us play their little games for as long as they want - and really, even if I wanted out, what could I possibly do to oppose them? They'd crush me outright...

Resigned to his fate, and with just about everyone else seemingly happy to play along with the charade, the Heimlan Professor was left with no choice but to do keep doing his part. His only hope was that the Garden Rulers would settle their dispute sooner rather than later and just let everyone go on their merry way, but with that not happening any time soon, his only consolation was that these "trials" were at least non-violent.

He stared at the piece of paper for a while, unable to fight back the smile that formed on his lips - the smug, self-satisfied grin of a man finally in control of his own situation. Because if there was one thing Rorik was damn good at, it was thinking.

But Munchlax... not so much.

He stared at his bear companion, his first and strongest. While a sense of respect toward it was starting to bloom within the Professor, he had to acknowledge Munchlax's limitations - he'd turned out to be a remarkable fighter and a resilient guardian, but his intellect wasn't quite as developed and his sense of smell, although prodigious, could only help so far.

I know what the answer is, but I doubt he's ever even heard of it. He won't be able to track down something if he doesn't know what he's looking for or what it smells like...

Rorik dropped to one knee and placed a hand on Munchlax's head.

"You were remarkable indeed," he said earnestly, "but now it's time to let our other friend take the spotlight. Get some rest."

The bear yawned and gave Rorik a thumbs-up before being recalled into his Luxury Ball. After that, a flash of light burst from a different PokéBall, and Staryu materialized in front of the Heimlan.

"I need your help in this... maze," explained Rorik, while struggling not to say anything depreciative about the sorry, chaotic state of Lilligant's garden that seriously got on his nerves. "I'm looking for a purple flower with a very specific scent."

Staryu, ever-expressionless, shifted its positioning slightly upon hearing Rorik's instructions. At this, the Professor smiled, realizing he was slowly starting to understand the mute starfish.

"No need to be embarassed; leave the smelling to me," he clarified; naturally, he did not expect Staryu to track down scents, as that would be anatomically challenging at best. "I need you to use your Analytic skills to help me navegate the gardens without getting lost."

He adjusted his glasses, then boldly - if uncharacteristically - marched towards the maze's entrance, Staryu following close behind. With its help, he located a corridor to the right lined with all manner of purple flowers, one beautiful species after another.

"Right," he concluded in a whisper, more to himself than anyone else. "My mother used to force Erik and I to wash with that kind of soap... He quite liked the scent, as I recall; me, not so much. I never did understand why she insisted on using products made of a plant imported from southern regions - it's not like Heiml doesn't have its share of nice-smelling flowers, despite the harsh weather. Oh well... off to find me some lavender."

Last edited by Maskerade; 08-06-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Maskerade is offline   Reply With Quote