View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Disney's been trickling out some sneak peek videos over the past few days. Here are a couple of them:

These two scenes give us a pretty good idea of what we could've already expected from Disney: this show is one part '80s Duck Tales to one part Gravity Falls (or other 2010s Disney XD cartoons). Whether that's a positive or a negative is up for you to decide. I see a little of both.

I like the nephews having distinct personalities. I prefer Webby 2.0 many times over the original. I prefer Mrs. Beakley 2.0 over the original as well.

I'm a little turned off by just how "try hard"-ey the writing seems to be. (Too desperate. ) I'm also a little worried that with Webby 2.0 they're missing the forest for the trees: in trying to make her a female role model and heroine (or at least in trying to avoid a replication of the original Webby who was anything but), they're going a little too far with the "HEY LOOK AT ME I'M THE BEST ONE -- AND ALSO A GIRL " delivery that plagues lesser cartoons. It's a little obnoxious, and may even be influencing a lot of the fans who have gotten "Mabel Pines, duck edition" vibes from the character. (Which is funny considering Mabel Pines doesn't suit my criticism at all! But I think it's this obnoxiousness of "HEY I'M A STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER, LOOK AT ME!" presentation which some of these fans are mistaking for the character herself being obnoxious, i.e. obnoxious like Mabel.) Time will tell.

What would this post be without a discussion about the OP credits? Those too have been revealed!

BORKED

I like it well enough. It's got nothing on the original in either looks or sound, but that's okay: it's a lovely homage and I enjoy both the looks and the sound of the 2017 do-over. There're a lot of little things for fans to hyper-analyze in this OP too, so let's get to it, shall we?

The OP credits all but confirm that Scrooge's butler Duckworth will not be returning. (Or at least not at McDuck Manor ...) It appears that the Duckworth character and the Mrs. Beakley character have been merged into one, with Mrs. Beakley serving as both Webby's guardian and as the mansion's chief servant. I'm concluding this mostly based on two things. One is the dart fight scene (linked above, in the spoiler box), but the other is the OP's glimpse of Mrs. Beakley driving the jeep on one of Scrooge's adventures. That's an incredibly odd placement for a character who amounted to little more than a scullery maid in the original series. Here she seems like she's Mr. McDuck's personal Alfred Pennyworth. Even Duckworth didn't accompany Scrooge on his adventures, and yet Mrs. Beakley does ... That all but proves to me that she's the head honcho of household affairs at McDuck Manor in the 2017 reboot!

(Though speaking of Duckworth, apparently the writers for the 2017 version have already confirmed we've seen him in at least one of the promotional videos? Click this link for more info!)

Also of note is the color of Flintheart Glomgold's clothing. In the original comics, he's South African and predominantly wears black. Here, he returns to us with his green and yellow tartan kilt -- suggesting he will retain his retconned Scottish ancestry. While I was looking forward to South African Flintheart, I have to admit the soft spot in my heart for the version I grew up with. It will be fun to see what backstory the '17 version has in store for Scrooge and Flintheart.

Webby's grappling hook oh my god she really is Mabel Pines 2.0, isn't she? ^^;

At around 47s, they show four villains: Flintheart Glomgold, Bouncer Beagle(?), Ma Beagle, and ... I have to admit I don't know who this is. Is it a Dark Fenton? O-o Is it Steelbeak from the Darkwing Duck universe? O-o Is it a Dark Gladstone? O-o Well, I decided to look into it, for this post! And ... it turns out I was right not to recognize him, because he's an original character. O-o His name is Mark Beaks, and he's an apparent parody of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and/or Mark Zuckerberg. "A tech industry billionaire, who doesn't care as much about money as he cares about status and being buzzworthy and how many followers he has." That certainly seems to suggest the Zuckerberg part, along with the on-the-nose decision to name him Mark.

The OP credits confirm something else that became apparent from the sneak peek scenes -- Donald Duck will probably be as much a part of the story here as he was in the original comics. In fact, my research just a few seconds ago had led me to this choice (light spoilerific? ^^; ) morsel:

Spoiler: show
"After not speaking to one another for ten years, Scrooge McDuck is reunited with Donald Duck after he and his three nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie move into McDuck Manor. The presence of the newcomers rekindles Scrooge's spirit of adventure, leading the group to go on many new treasure-hunting expeditions, while the nephews and their new friend Webby uncover the truth behind what caused their uncles to become estranged and retire from adventuring."

So this is interesting. :o As far as I know, in the original comics there wasn't anything like this. So this too sounds like original writing. We'll have to see what the 2017 writers have in mind!

One last thing ... Strangely, there's no sign of Magica De Spell! This is pretty shocking, seeing as she's one of the few characters who shows up in both the original comics and the 1980s TV series! Considering the OP credits' heavy focus on Scrooge's Number One Dime and Magica's obsession with it, it's so strange that she'd be missing from the OP credits were she to show up eventually in Duck Tales 2017 Season 1. Maybe this is proof they're saving her for Season 2? Or maybe it's sad proof that she's been cut from the series? We'll have to see. Cutting out Magica De Spell, though, is almost as unimaginable as cutting out Flintheart Glomgold or the Beagle Boys, so ... I dunno! (She's just gotta be here by the end of S2!)

Wow. Long post is long. Here's hoping it gives my fellow Duck Tales fans something to enjoy reading in these quiet times. :')
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote