View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 AM   #53
Maskerade
Cascade Badge

deoxys:
The elder listens as he smiles, relieved that you intend to see this through to the end, knowing that he cannot do so by himself. Still, you can tell he feels conflicted, entirely aware that this is his problem and not yours. He is, however, unaware of your backstory, including that you are also familiar with the God of the Distortion World.

“As I said, upon his… resurrection… my old companion became a servant of Giratina. But not just any servant,” he says with a heavy voice. “The Phantom Dragon revived him as a warmongering spirit, the cornerstone of a revolution against the other Gods. This, too, he made sure I knew in my visions. Allow me to share it with you – the gruesome sight of what my old friend became.”

Dagon steps forward and places two fingers on your forehead. Immediately you are once more assaulted by visions, the ones the elder sees each time he sits on the rails – thoroughly different from yours, the path you saw is never disclosed to Dagon. Instead, he is forced to see images of his past self and his Incineroar, the feline’s death and the same weird building you described. Finally, the last image is that of the reborn Incineroar, given new form and new purpose by Giratina.

“This is Krohm, Champion of Distortion World. All traces of my former companion erased, he now exists as gatherer and commander of souls for Giratina’s army,” Dagon reveals. “I am yet to fully understand the reasons why the Phantom Dragon would gather an army to begin with, but I fear an invasion of the Human World is imminent. Krohm, I assume, is to play a central role in this endeavour. The black and red train we just saw was his own, carrying stray souls to the underground palace-like structure you saw in your vision. I strongly believe that is the heart of Krohm and GIratina’s growing army… but the path to Krohm’s Palace was never disclosed to me. That… is why I need you.”

Dagon traverses the rails, beckoning you to follow, until you reach a bifurcation on the tracks.

“Something wickedly powerful fuels Krohm’s core. As I said, as long as he lives, so will why, trapped in this realm, watching the trains of Distortion World pass as they carry more souls to do the Phantom Dragon’s bidding. Alone, I am powerless to either stop him or break my own curse. But perhaps with you by my side… if you’re still willing…”

He pulls out a wrinkled piece of paper from the confines of his dirty rags and hands it over to you. Written on it are symbols you cannot translate.

“Though its properties in this Realm are hampered, that Cleanse Tag is not without its uses. It may not outright repeal the dwellers of this dimension, but I found it renders them somewhat less aggressive towards outsiders such as us. It should, at least, give us time to prepare if we run into trouble. Please, hold on to it,” Dagon requests.

The elder looks at the diverging rail tracks, pondering on the next step. One of the railways leads directly toward New Fizz City, an ominous realization should Giratina’s Champion finish raising his army. The other, bathed in moonlight, leads northwest towards nowhere in particular, into by the dry wilderness of the surrounding wastelands.

“Which way do we go?”

morningstar:

It doesn’t take a wealth of knowledge and experience to realize you’re outmatched, and that perhaps bringing the fight to the Snivy was a premature decision. Fortunately you change your mind before making too much noise and prepare to recall your partners for now.

Still, you can’t help but notice this encounter, as well as the previous successful break-in, have strengthened your collective bond – despite his exhaustion, it’s obvious that Monte’s punches are growing stronger by the minute, no doubt that climb and this short battle having helped in that regard.

Monte has gained 2 Levels!

You aim the Pokéball at the worn-out Scraggy and successfully recall him into the device; to this, Snivy reacts with a sigh of relief, before actually positioning itself so that recalling the trapped Éclair is an easier task for you – instead of trying to make your life harder, it’s as if the Grass-Type wants you to stop fighting.

You aim the beam at your Mawile, who continues to struggle against the vines. Her movement is relentless, shaking violently to try and break free from her predicament. You can’t help but feel her resolve has also grown stronger, between climbing into the warehouse all on her own and the face-off with Snivy that you didn’t get to witness from the start…

Éclair has gained 1 Level!

You finally manage to call your friend back into her Ball, after which Snivy retracts its vines and walks over to you with a careful, but not openly hostile, expression. It stops directly in front of you, and courteously extends a vine as if asking for a handshake. All the while, it keeps peering over to the ground floor, several feet below the metal walkway you stand on, as if trying to spot movement…
Upon closer examination, now that it has drawn nearer, you notice a tiny golden plastic badge attached to Grass-Type’s scales, with the inscription “Port Guard” written on it.

Can this Pokémon be trusted? How will you approach the situation?

Schala:
You have the distinct impression that the old librarian is most definitely not in a cooperating mood: either due to early-onset dementia or simply ill will, she ended up directing you at the wrong section - an amalgam of your two requests, and as a result, none of what you requested.

It is hard to adhere to a code when the ones enforcing it are just asking to be disobeyed. Case in point, even though you are fully aware that silence must be preserved within the confines of the library, the lack of other actual people besides the gorgon at the desk makes it all the more enticing to just take matter into your own hands (and Rufflet's wings), rules be damned. Instructed to search for a step ladder or, luck permitting, one of the sections you actually wanted to find, Ulysses takes to the air, ready to fulfill these tasks, the sound of his wingflaps resonating across the library's halls. The avian disappears behind the tall bookshelf, leaving you temporarily alone. As for you, something else has drawn your attention - the door that had so suspiciously merited the harpy's concern.

You approach the entrance in question, carefully scanning the perimeter as you walk closer, for the fear of being detected. The librarian, however, is nowhere in sight, likely having returned to her papers. The door itself is as ancient-looking as the rest of the building; dark red in tone, resembling mahogany but not quite the same, it is one solid chunk of carefully polished wood. The keyhole, and likely the entire lock sysem, is also archaic, and although the door is tightly shut at the moment, it seems like any amount of lockpicking skill or brute force could get it open if you were willing to take the risk.

The question is... are you?