View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #47
Maskerade
Boulder Badge

deoxys:

The elder listens intently, eyes closed as he does. You tell him all that you saw, and how you believe it may convey a path to some strange structure in the depths of the earth. When you're done, he finally gets up from the rails, dusts off his clothes and smiles.

"Incredible," he replies with a faint voice. "For over ten years I've sat on these rails, every single day, facing the trains as they come. And for ten years, all they've shown me was the destination, but never the path..."

He walks over to you places a hand on your shoulder.

"But you came and saw everything on your first attempt. I was wrong, it seemed... you're much more than properly attuned."

It took a literal paranormal phenomenon, but it seems the rendez-vous with the black and red train was enough to finally get the somber old man to open up. Visibly moved by your ability to piece everything together when he'd been failing for a decade, he now seems much more inclined to talk than he's been up to this point.

"I owe you an explanation," he confesses. "When you agreed to sit on the rails with me, you entered a realm I cannot escape. This world you see - the purple sky, the demon train - is only visible by the two of us. We are trapped in a Never-Ending Nightmare, one I am responsible for..."

He passes you by, walking the rails in the same direction the train had just passed. Tired eyes following the metal tracks, he continued after a moment to collect his thoughts.

"My name is Dagon. However old you think I am, I assure you I'm older. Eons ago, I was someone... important. Someone powerful. I was royalty... But I was still human, and I had human weaknesses. One such weakness was the fear of solitude, of death - and when my aging Incineroar passed away, my one true companion, I... made a deal with the devil."

Again he is forced to stop, emotions overwhelming him briefly before he regains his composure.

"I prayed to Giratina, and It heard my pleas. It came to me in a dream, and offered to return Incineroar. At the peak of my influence, believing myself capable of paying whatever It demanded, I immediately accepted. I was overwhelmed by loneliness, and Giratina preyed on my despair. I rushed into forging a contract with the God of Abyss... you might imagine how that turned out for me. What was once my Incineroar was indeed reborn, but as an unrecognizable demon servant of the Phantom Dragon; to him, or what's left of him, I am not even a fleeting memory. And as for me, I was cursed to walk this Dimension as long as my old partner lives... which is why Giratina revived it into a Ghost that cannot die."

He peers over his shoulder, looking at you.

"For centuries I've tried to dissolve that contract. To escape this Nightmare. Ten years ago I discovered this particular railway, traversed by machines of the underworld, and I knew I was finally on the right path. But my mind is weak and old; the road was never revealed to me. With you here, I can finally put an end to all this, but..." he hesitates briefly, torn between dragging you in further and putting you in danger. "Ultimately, we are opposing a God. This is not your struggle. I might still be able to return you to the real world, before the Nightmare's grip on you is too powerful; all you have to do is ask."

morningstar:

The sight of Éclair trapped in the vines of this unexpected enemy gets your blood boiling, itching to set things right - you will not stand by idly as your friend is bound and restrained without provocation!

Immediately, Monte rushed to follow your instructions, energy gathering in his mangled fists once more. However, the young Scraggy is still very much exhausted from the earlier climbing and the consecutive punches he threw against the rock wall, and without having been healed, you notice his movements are more sluggish than usual -
even keeping his shed skin "pants" up is getting in the way as he approaches the Snivy.

As he finally gets within range, he tries to hurl a Drain Punch, but Snivy merely leaps nimbly out of the way, taking full advantage of its superior speed and Monte's tiredness. It keeps its eyes firmly locked on the attacker, studying its movements with a cunning mostly unusual of a wild Pokémon. The vibe it sends is one of cold, ruthless efficiency, with no wated movements as it once more dodges Monte's kick attempt. Evidently this Snivy vastly out-levels your Fighting-Type companion, but for some reason, it does not fight back with a single attack of its own... what's going on here?

As Monte prepares to Taunt Snivy into attacking - something that you're starting to wonder might turn really bad for you, considering the obvious difference in power -, the Scraggy flinches for some strange motive... until you realize he's frozen in fear by Snivy's Glare! That move is rarely accessible to wild Snivy, as you recall - either it was born knowing it from its genetic heritage, or someone taught it the technique at some point.

Clearly the Snivy is stalling for time, despite appearing much stronger than Monte. Are you missing something here? Why won't it fight back? What are its true intentions?...