View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #60
Missingno. Master
Poison-type Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
(Hey guys, thank you for being patient with me. Sometimes life can get a bit hectic, and I'm sorry for the delay in your updates. That being said, you may notice something different about them! Starting today, I will be including music with your updates - it will almost always be instrumental, and it is meant to add an extra layer of immersion to the story's atmosphere by evoking more emotion. You obviously do not have to listen to them if you don't want to, but I hope you will, as I firmly believe the really do add some extra flavor to the story as you read along!)

Missingno. Master: [Update Music]

The woman seemed thrilled to have sold the Honey. She looked at you with sincere eyes, and she looked as though she was holding back tears. “Thank you. So very much.” She positioned herself with her basket at her side and slid the money into a pocket. “My name is Melody. It’s nice to meet you. How about… you come inside my shop. It’s a bit of a story.”

Melody turned and led you into her shop, which happened to be one of the small houses that lined the dirt road you had encountered her on. The shop itself was dusty, but had a very rustic aesthetic. There wasn’t much room inside, but there were numerous shelves lined with different colored jars and trinkets, including toys and woodwind instruments. She led you to a small room behind the counter, where there were two small chairs and a coffee table between them. As you sat, she poured you a cup of tea - and stirred in a spoonful of honey.

“I’m not sure there is much you can do to help us, but I suppose there’s no harm in sharing the story,” she said glumly as she sat in the chair opposite to you. She furrowed her brow and crossed her legs. “This village has long been an exporter of honey and Combeeswax products to much of the outside world. The majority of our villagers have have some sort of part to play in that industry, and for as long as our town has existed, it’s kept us going. At least, until recently…” She trailed off a bit and took a sip of her own tea. She scrunched her face, pursed her lips, and then let out a sigh.

“There’s a natural cycle at play that we help catalyze, and it’s been that way for generations. The Combee collect nectar from the flowers to make honey for their Vespiquen, pollinating the flowers they visit in the process. This symbiotic relationship allows the flowers to continue to grow and thrive, while producing more food for the Combee. The Combee allow us to collect the excess and leftover Combeeswax, and in exchange we continue to take care of the flowers as well as their homes. It’s an unspoken agreement between people and Pokemon that you probably wouldn’t find anywhere else…” She sighed again, this time with more agitation in her voice.

“But we made a mistake. About two years ago, we began to notice honey production was rapidly declining, and we weren’t sure why. After we did some investigation, we realized that the Combee population also seemed to be declining, but we couldn’t figure out the root cause of it. We tried a number of things to reinvigorate the colonies, but nothing worked. Things continued to get worse, and it started to put our town into a bind economically. People were just barely scraping by. Last year, when we saw no improvement, we called in a Melitologist, someone who specializes in the study of bee Pokemon, to come investigate. She spent a while analyzing our forest’s colonies and was unable to determine the cause of the decline. However, she proposed a ‘solution’ to the problem. She figured that by bringing in male Kantoan Beedrill and breeding them with some of our female Combee that she would be able to help restore the Combee population. Well, her plan did work, however, there was a downside; these hybrid Combee were far more aggressive and their honey output was limited to only what they needed to produce.”

She took a deep breath, and another sip of her tea. “I’m sorry for talking so much, but this story has quite a lot to it. Anyhow, the short of it is this - these new hybrid Combee began to bully the native Combee out of their colonies, which only made our problem worse. Our native Combee are dying, and only a handful of their colonies remain. The flowers that need to be pollinated aren’t being pollinated, causing them to die in droves. The lowered honey production means there our livelihoods are at risk, and the Pokemon of the forest are beginning to migrate en masse because they are losing food sources, and the Combee are becoming too aggressive for them to want to stick around. In short, we are in the midst of an ecological crisis.”

She stood up and looked out the window and remained silent for a moment. “I don’t think there’s much you could do to help, but… if you want to talk to the Melitologist… maybe she’d have something for you to do, I don’t know. She’s probably at one of the nearby colonies near the edge of the swamp to the south of the village doing research. If you head that way you’re sure to run into her.” She turned to you and gave a sad, but faint smile. “I do appreciate your listening and your concern, mister... what was your name again, sweetheart?”
Keith couldn't help but smile at how appreciative the woman seemed at his purchasing a few jars of Honey. He nodded as Melody requested that he come with her, and so they entered one of the small houses. The shop did not have a lot of room in it, and was quite dusty, but it had a rustic feel to it Keith couldn't help but appreciate.

Soon, they were seated in a room behind the counter, Keith with a cup of tea that had some honey stirred in. He listened as Melody explained about the dwindling Combee population, about the Melitologist who came in to help, but only wound up making things even worse- breeding the Combee with male Beedrill from Kanto resulted in particularly vicious Combee who only made as much honey as they strictly required and were driving out the other Pokémon. "Dat's why we ain't seen so much as a single wild Pokémon around here!" Meowth exclaimed.

"That'd do it, alright," Keith agreed. "My name, by the way, is Keith Masters. I'm a Pokémon Trainer from Lavaridge Town in Hoenn." He gave a small sigh- Melody had a point, after all, this problem seemed to be pretty significant. Significant enough that one man probably shouldn't hope to fix it himself. But then, that's also how the problems facing Aduro Island had seemed, Keith reminded himself, and he wound up being the reason the island's volcano went inactive, the island's wild Pokémon were freed from Heatran's tyrannical rule, and the island's Heatmor population now stood an actual chance at survival. Of course, it was foolish to think that on that basis alone he absolutely could fix this... but by the same token, it was this adventure of his that gave him hope that maybe, just maybe, there could be something he could do. "...You know what, I'll do that," he nodded. "I'll speak with the Melitologist. Hell, maybe I could try and figure out the reason the Combee population started dwindling to begin with. Meowth, you could probably help with that if the Combee themselves know anything, yeah?"

Meowth shrugged. "Ya ain't wrong," he conceded.

Keith turned back to Melody. "I don't know if I'm gonna be able to help this town," he said. "But what I can promise you for sure, Melody, is that I'm gonna do my best to help."

"And his best ain't too shabby," Meowth added.

My Shiny Pokémon (not up for trade, I don't do requests for Shiny banners or recolored Pokken artwork). FB team banners like the one above, however, those I do requests for.
Missingno. Master is offline   Reply With Quote