View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #20
RealMrGame10
Team Instinct

Magikarp PLAYOFFS ----- A couple of games in

(late but) holy cow it's the Playoffs!!!!!

For those who care, I'm gonna give my thoughts on the Playoffs and briefly discuss each matchup because dang was that a crazy close to the season!!!!

The West:

Golden State Warriors (1) vs. Portland Trailblazers (
Spoiler: show
So at my time of writing this, the Warriors already beat Portland in Game 1, but it was by no means a blowout win. Thanks to KD's time out for injury, I actually kind of figured that this might be a weaker series for the Dubs, but Draymond Green continues to prove himself as the glue that keeps the Warriors together, and they ultimately overwhelmed the Blazers' inferior defense. I think the rest of the series is going to turn out like this, especially if Jusuf Nurkic stays out due to injury, but I could conceivably see the Blazers picking up a game or two at home.

Predicting the Warriors in 5

San Antonio Spurs (2) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (7)
Last night, the Spurs reaffirmed their playoff dominance, surprising a number of analysts who thought that the sheer scrappiness of both teams would prevent San Antonio from getting any blowout wins. As they have frequently done throughout this season and Popovich's two decades with the team, the Spurs surprised us. Not only did they outrebound and outscrap the Grizzlies, their offensive numbers were at the same level as they were in their blowout against the Warriors on opening night. If they can keep this up throughout the Playoffs, the Spurs are going to be a crazy threat to look out for. It's a shame, too, I like the Grizzlies . FedEx Forum is always crazy hyped for this Memphis team, and the Spurs are capable of going really cold on offense, so Memphis will more than likely steal one or two games.

Predicting the Spurs in 6 (a little generous to the Grizzlies, but what can I say lol)

Houston Rockets (3) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (6)
Hoo boy. So from what I'm hearing around the media, I'm fairly certain Russell Westbrook is going to win the MVP award, which is understandable. He did so much more than what people expected from him and when he performed, he made his team so much better. But the Rockets had a season that pretty much nobody saw coming. Between D'antoni bringing out the best James Harden anyone has seen yet and the Rockets' front office surrounding James Harden with a bunch of... really good offensive players. Lou Williams is probably the best example from the season proper, but Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon are also really good examples. D'Antoni's made arguably (and I'll argue it) a better 7 Seconds or Less team than the Nash-era Suns. Their bench is full enough of three-point threats that when some go cold, they can just replace the cold culprits with someone else. Admittedly, the Rockets have some fairly weak defense at a couple of positions and they're going to struggle to find an answer to Enes Kanter and Steven Adams, but in the end, it's not going to matter. If there's one thing this season has taught us, it's not to bet against Russell Westbrook, but even he wasn't enough against the Rockets multiple times this season.

Predicting the Rockets in 6

LA Clippers (4) vs. Utah Jazz (5)
This is one series where I'm going to predict an upset, and it's not just because of Utah's win last night. Now there have been a number of analysts that have supported the Clippers by talking about their strong starting line-up (undoubtedly true), their superior playoff experience (also very true), and the fact that they have less injuries coming into the series (i.e. George Hill being on the roster after a pretty injury-laden season). In fact, Rudy Gobert's injury early last night is incredibly unfortunate for the Jazz in this area too, as he is one of the most important players on the team. However, the truth of the matter is that the Clippers are faced with the same problems they have had for years: their bench is simply not deep enough. Austin Rivers' injury is actually really relevant to this point. As good of a year as he was having, he really rounded out the Clippers' bench. Without him, a lot is being put on the starting line-up's shoulders. The Jazz really don't have that problem. They've got the two Joes (both of whom really stepped up last night (HOLY CRAP JOE JOHNSON'S BUZZER BEATER), and even though Gordon Hayward was cold from the field last night, he nabbed 10 rebounds, and he's not always going to be cold. If Gobert can come back to the series healthy enough, this is a no-brainer for me, but even if he doesn't, I think there's a good chance this Jazz team can pull through.

Predicting the Jazz in 7 (heheh)

East:

Boston Celtics (1) vs. Chicago Bulls (
HOLY CRUD WE MADE IT TO FIRST SEED.

The Celtics' rebounding woes are really well-documented, and the current game is super close, but there's no way the Celtics are going to lose this series. Not with literally only Mirotic and playoff-Dwayne Wade (and sometimes Jimmy Butler?) being able to shoot semi-consistently on the Bulls.

super biased but...

Predicting the Celtics in 6

Cleveland Cavaliers (2) vs. Indiana Pacers (7)
Okay so I have heard at least forty-eight times not to bet against the Cavaliers in the playoffs and that they would "turn the switch" as soon as they hit the playoffs, but I have been saying this whole time that this is not that simple, and the fact that Lebron was one CJ Miles shot away from losing his 1st first round game in a few years, I think I'm right about this. The Cavs are at serious risk of losing this series especially with how unsettling Lance Stephenson has to be to the Cavs. The presence of Stephenson is seriously the X-Factor of this series. The Pacers finished 5-1 in the season primarily because of the energy and swagger he brings to the table, and if Paul George had seen him standing under the basket in the last 10 seconds (not salty), he would have won the game for them. I'm not like super sure that the Pacers will win, since Lebron really is a fantastic player, but this is not nearly as cut-and-dry as ESPN would have you believe.

Predicting the Pacers in 6 (*shot by Charles Barkley*)

Toronto Raptors (3) vs. Milwaukee Bucks (6)
Okay I was not expecting the Bucks to win last night, but I was definitely expecting this to be a fun series. Giannis Antetokounmpo is one of my favorite players and he is going to be absolutely effervescent in this series, but I was convinced that the combo of Lowry, Derozan, Tucker, and Ibaka would end up being overwhelming, but it looks like Lowry may still be suffering from his injury. Ultimately, the lack of depth of talent on the Bucks (plus the fact that Jabari Parker is still out) is going to make me choose the Raps.

Predicting the Raptors in 6

Washington Wizards (4) vs. Atlanta Hawks (5)
Honestly I hate to say this because it means the Celtics are going to have a hell of a second round match-up, but there's not really a contest here. Yeah, Millsap and Dwight might have a good night, but John Wall and Bradley Beal are the most (over-exposed) underrated duo in the league, and Boganovic, Porter, and Gortat are no slouches. Plus, the Hawks have been jerks to John Wall in the past and he's expressed an interest in utterly destroying them... so...

Predicting the Wizards in 4

Feel free to discuss or tell me why I'm wrong

Me on SP

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote