View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #2
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think it will be anywhere near as good as the original, but I also don't expect that it's trying to be the original. You can see that everywhere in this trailer, from the art style (could not be more different) to the personalities given to the kids (nothing at all like the comics' or the '80s cartoon show's personalities). The impression I get from this trailer, from top to bottom, is:

"We're trying to make Duck Tales cool again."

And while it's easy to get the feathers ruffled by implications that Duck Tales was ever not cool, let's face facts: today's kids by and large aren't seeking out old Duck Tales episodes and the show is incredibly dated culturally. It's very much a product of both its source material's generation as well as its own generation. And those generations ... are just very, very different from the kids born in the 21st century.

I like that they're trying to make the triplets each have a unique personality. That was something barely palpable in the original cartoon.

2017 Webby seems to be a love it or hate it kind of character, but from what we're seeing in the trailer alone? I absolutely love her. Yeah she's obnoxiously energetic (that laugh :')) but she's heaps better than Crybaby Webby from the 1980s. Whereas '80s Webby felt like the proverbial victim of a Little Rascals-style "NO GIRLS ALLOWED!" policy for an all-boys club, 2017 Webby feels like she's going to fit in perfectly well with the boys.

A big question mark for me is whether David Tennant (!) can pull it off and voice us a Scrooge McDuck that sounds just as good as Alan Young's. Because for me and for at least three generations of Americans, Alan Young's Scrooge McDuck is Scrooge McDuck. We'll just have to see. Tennant obviously has the acting chops. Not to mention the Scotsman chops. It's just a question of how much he'll try to sound like Alan and how much he'll strike out on his own -- and the secondary question, should he strike out on his own, of whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. For me, so long as he sounds "good" -- whatever that means -- I'm happy.

Will be nice if the show receives better support from the House of Mouse than Gravity Falls did. I think the success of this series will in large part depend on its having a fairly regular schedule when new episodes are being released. Whether that's once weekly, whether that's biweekly or monthly, just keep it consistent.

Not sure what their plans are for classic villains like Flintheart Glomgold, Magica De Spell, and the Beagle Boys. Kinda hoping they save Flintheart for the final season's climax, but also kinda hoping he gets a narrative arc spanning all the seasons. Would be a shame if the show was canceled before he even gets to show up. Perhaps they'll take a page out of the '80s show's playbook and have him show up in the first story arc.

Speaking of Flintheart Glomgold, I wonder whether they will go with the canon of the comics or whether they will stick with the rewrite popularized by the 1980s cartoon. In the source material, Flintheart is from South Africa; but in the '80s cartoon, he's a fellow countryman of Scrooge McDuck's, a Scot. Complicating matters further is the issue of Carl Barks canon vs. post-Barks canon: in the creator's, Carl Barks', canon, Scrooge and Flintheart don't meet until the present day of the story when both are already old and wealthy. However, in the 1980s, the person who took over for the writing of the Duck Tales comics decided to write a backstory for everyone's favorite Scrooge McDuck rival:
Rosa, who admits to have a soft spot for the character, has used Flintheart in a growing number of stories and has offered him a sort of origin. In his stories Flintheart is a Boer from the province of Transvaal. He was born around the same time as Scrooge and first met him during the Gold Rush of 1886 (the main effect of this Rush was the foundation of Johannesburg). Like Scrooge, Flintheart was born in poverty and was working his way up the financial ladder. While unsuccessfully searching for diamonds, he attempted to steal the findings of more successful fellow miners. As a result, he was tied to the horns of a water buffalo and the animal was then sent running. Flintheart was found and saved by Scrooge. Flintheart offered to be the guide of the recently arrived gold miner from Scotland, since he knew the territory. Scrooge accepted him as a needed companion and friend. But at night while Scrooge was sleeping, Flintheart stole his ox-cart along with all his equipment and supplies and left him alone in the wilderness. Having underestimated Scrooge, he was surprised when Scrooge caught up to him, furious and vengeful. When Scrooge finished with him, Flintheart was publicly humiliated, thoroughly embittered and imprisoned for theft. The two rivals made vows to themselves that helped shape some of their character traits. Scrooge vowed to never trust anybody ever again, in order not to be betrayed again. Apparently this is the source of Scrooge's distrust towards others whether they are allies, rivals or complete strangers and the reason he is secretive about his thoughts and emotions. On the other hand, a completely defeated Flintheart vowed that he will work to become so rich that nobody can humiliate him again (see Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck — Part VI:The Terror of Transvaal).
This tragic backstory, in which Scrooge and Flintheart drive one another to become the hardened men they are later in life, is exactly the sort of thing that 21st-century cartoon viewers lap up. (See: Gravity Falls' Grunkle Stan. See also: Adventure Time's Ice King.) So if the series does decide to stick with comic canon but also makes the decision to include post-Barks comics as canon, I think it'd be pretty awesome if they were to adapt this story arc for the TV series.

And if they don't decide to stick with that? And instead, they go for the Scottish Flintheart angle popularized by the '80s cartoon? Then I'd be interested to see them come up with a novel canon (if and only if they like) which lends some pathos to the characters' backstory. After all, does not Scrooge remark that he got where he is today by being "smarter than the smarties and tougher than the toughies?" What if one of those smarties was a young Flintheart fifty years ago? Or what if one of those toughies was Flintheart's father, whom Scrooge drove into bankruptcy and set the young Flintheart down a path for vengeance? Drama? In my Duck Tales? Okay, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here. But still.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote