View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
Chiko Chiko Chi
Chiko's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Posts: 1,830
Well, I'm finally getting around to doing this report so that's good.

Anyway, Melbourne IC was awesome fun despite not making it to day two due to my team being surprisingly weak to Lax/me being bad at playing against Lax. In all honesty, had I not faced any Lax I would've made day 2 convincingly but I digress as 5-4 could be worse, could be so much worse.

Report on games that I remember
Spoiler: show
Game 1 vs, Frederico Antimo/AndyVGC (Loss 0-2)

my game 1 opponent was an annoying match for anyone to have to face as my opponent resorted to the tactic of Alolan-Persian and Snorlax antics; said antics involved Quash and Parting Shot on Perisan which had the Darkinium Z. Safe to say, Belly Drum Lax + Quash A.Persian made it quite hard for me to win.

Game 2 - Opponent said he couldn't battle that round, so I got a win.

Game 3 vs. Emile Ng/Emolga Ng (Win 2-0)

Now, this was an awesome game which I ended up winning somewhat convincingly. My opponent had common stuff such as Lele and Arcanine but had some other cool things such as Scarf Bruxish and Braviary. My Celesteela managed to catch him off guard, and he wasn't the last person to be caught off guard by it.

Game 4 vs. Person Who's Name I Forget (Win 2-0)

An error had occurred with their scoring and I ended up being 1-2 coming into this with my opponent from the previous round holding my 2-1, although we both made sure that it was rectified coming into the next round.

Anyway, this guy had stuff such as Vanilluxe and Nihilego, Pokemon I thought I would struggle against. Ended up not really struggling as Celesteela continued to be the MVP of my team. I was also helped by his Nihilego opting to have Grass Knot over HP Ice.

Game 5 vs. Ashton Cox (Loss 1-2)

When I saw the pairing, I started to metaphorically shit bricks as I knew it would be hard to win even a single game off of Ashton but I pressed on anyway. Game 1 went somewhat convincingly his way due to Shuca Xurk and Aerodactyl being a terrifying combination. Game 2 went my way as I made sure his Xurk took so much damage it couldn't switch in, although in truth I had tried to KO it but it lived on 1 HP after Fake Out + Tectonic Rage, Celesteela was super helpful in the late game here. Game 3 was honestly anybody's game and I would've won if I had gone for Fake Out + Hydro Vortex instead of Liquidation onto Xurkitree; also could've won if I EQ'd at a certain point but ah well.

It was fun facing Ashton and he was really friendly about questions which I had, such as if I brought the right Pokemon in the last game; according to him I brought exactly what I needed to win and it was his toughest match so far.
[size="1"]Confidence boost +1[/s]

Game 6/7 vs. Again, forgetting names. (Loss 0-2)

I don't remember much about these games, just that I lost and was 4-3 at the end of them.

Game 8 vs. Ian Ferguson/raikoo (Win 2-0)

This was another case of Celesteela being the MVP as it took him by surprise game 1 and continued to be the threat it is in game 2. Also ended up learning my Togedemaru can live two 0- SpAtk Flamethrowers from Steela.

Game 9 vs. Another goddamn Snorlax user (0-2)

I suck vs. Snorlax, okay?

But in all honestly, both games vs. Snorlax would've been easily won by Steela had they not brought Lax whatsoever/had I not had Whimsicott and had literally anything else.

And now, team review seems like something that's utterly important.

Spoiler: show
Arcanine @ Mago Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 220 HP / 164 Def / 36 SpA / 84 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Snarl

Unfortunately for Arcanine it didn't see much use as the match-ups I had never favored bringing Arcanine, or at least that's how I felt. EVs allow it to be as bulky as possible, 36 SpA had some reason, I forget what it was though. 4 Spe was to outspeed slower bulky Arcanine.

Celesteela @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Def / 164 SpA / 116 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

MVP, MVP, MVP. What else do I have to say? Steela hits surprisingly hard and takes hits like a champion, such as taking less than 37% from Lorb Nihilego Power Gem and 2hko'ing quite convincingly. Once it got a boost, it was hard to stop unless you had Snarl access.

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
Level: 50
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Somewhat standard Araquanid which had a lot of use in my matches, 36 Spe was originally to outspeed 4 Spe Marowak but Marowak basically died out so it became a liability more than anything as it gave me a 25% chance to survive +2 Tectonic Rage from Chomp instead of a 75% chance which could've been crucial vs. Ashton Cox. Lunge actually got a use, which was neat.

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Super stock-standard but super good unless facing a Steela, thankfully I was never on the receiving end of that but raikoo was; and it honestly felt a little bit good that it meant Steela could clean up.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Tailwind
- Moonblast

...I regret ever putting Whimsicott on my team, it did nothing worth noting and I would've done better had I had literally any other Pokemon in this slot; was actually contemplating Lele at one stage but it became too late.

Togedemaru @ Air Balloon
Ability: Lightning Rod
Level: 50
EVs: 212 HP / 92 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Nuzzle
- Spiky Shield
- Zing Zap

Going into the tournament, I expected to almost never use Togedemaru but the truth is I think I used it literally every match as it did its job amazingly; being a nuisance. Honestly highly recommend using Togedemaru.

So yeah, this is almost 10 days late but better late than never.
TL4/B Ref
WF Updater
FB - Chiko
Chiko is offline   Reply With Quote