View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
[VGC2017] Double Intimidate & Goodstuffs

Been a while, but I've been working on a competitive team for the current VGC format, and though its mostly complete, I kinda need some input as to what I could fit into the 6th slot. So far, the team relies on some already proved and efficient cores to deal with just about any kind of threat. In case anyone needs a reminder, the current VGC format is Aloladex only, Alolabred only, Legendary and Mythical Pokemon banned, no mega evolutions, no multiple Pokemon and no multiple items. With that said, the team is as follows:

Arcanine (M) @ Firium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Burn Up
- Snarl
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Gyarados (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Tsareena (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Atk / 116 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough
- Feint

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 12 HP / 236 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

So, quick run down as what it is about. First and foremost, the team is built around a standard Fire/Water/Grass core. The effectiveness of such a core needs little explanation as it has had presence in the metagame since forever. Right now, it's very popular to run Arcanine/Fini/Kartana (otherwise known as the AFK core). instead of Fini and Kartana, I'm choosing to run Gyarados and Tsareena. Gyarados provides additional Intimidate support to further shut down physical attackers in tandem with Arcanine without the need of burn (which you wouldn't run anyways because Fini is all over the place). Arcanine can also provide Snarl support to suppress opponents from the special side, and this combination of physical and special suppression allows the team to mitigate any kind of offensive pressure the opponent might have.

AV Tsareena is a 'mon that is rarely seen in VGC nowadays, but its ability is something that I've been wanting to play around for a long time. Basically, it's like a one-way Psychic Terrain, which relieves the team of Fake Out & Feint pressure while allowing it to run priority of its own, as well as a different kind of terrain to work with. Tsareena can also take down Gastrodon just as nicely as Kartana can while being somewhat bulkier, and, unlike Kartana, Tsareena can provide Feint support for whenever I really wanna take something down asap. Trop Kick can also provide even more offensive suppression in case double Intimidate isn't enough.

Lastly, Garchomp and Koko are all-around really good Pokemon to have, and they're both kinda needed to help dismantle opposing AFK cores. I'm choosing to run Mixed Koko instead of the standard special attacker not only out of pure novelty, but because Mixed Koko can achieve some relevant damage calcs that Special Koko can't, namely, the ability OHKO the likes of Fini, Celesteela, Mandibuzz, and other specially defensive threats that EV themselves to survive Koko's Thunderbolt. Even with almost no investment, Dazzling Gleam still 2HKO's opposing dragons with Life Orb.

As for the sixth slot, there are four Pokemon I currently have under consideration, but I appreciate any other suggestions you might have. I'm seriously undecided as to which I should pick, so I'd like some help in this regard. These are:

Porygon2 is one of the most used Pokemon in the format, and with good reason. It is bulky af, and has excellent typing due to lack of relevant Fighting types. It has good offensive pressure and it has access to Trick Room, which in this team allows the ability to nullify opposing TRs while also providing a TR mode against teams with hyper offensive and speedy builds. It should be noted Tsareena has really good synergy with P2 in the same vein Lele does as Queenly Majesty prevents T1 Fake Out.

Gluttony Snorlax is also a formidable tank, and it also serves the role of deterring the use of Trick Room by the opponent. Access to Curse allows it to outslow opposing TR threats like A-Marowak.

A-Muk serves a similar role to Snorlax, except it trades a Fighting weakness for a Ground weakness (less desirable given I already have two ground weak Pokemon in the team), but in the process it can better handle opposing Fairies (read: all Tapus).

Scarf Silvally is a novelty option I've been wanting to try out given Parting Shot and the stat supression theme I already have going on. 95 base Atk is not super impressive, but Silvally does have a lot of bulk, and it has access to STAB-Explosion.

... And that's about it for now. Rate away!

::FB::WF::

Last edited by Balmund; 02-18-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote