Thread: Exhaustion
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #49
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy View Post
I look at it like there are three types of exhaustion: Short Term, Mid-Term, and Long Term.

Long Term is based on basically just your total energy/how many rounds you've been battling. This is the "I don't care if you just Rested, a Pokemon with a third of its energy is gonna be much more fatigued than a pokemon fresh out the ball.

Short Term is the "Oh fuck I just used Superpower let me catch my breath for a second then I'll be okay". This can factor into mid-term, but it's its own thing. Using Superpower will not require you to need a breather round or wreck you for half a round. It isn't Hyper Beam. It's just a short recovery time after you use a high powered move. It's kinda a thing for all moves, but it generally isn't significant enough to care about for most moves.

Mid-Term is the standard "you need a breather" bullshit. High energy rounds will push this along more than average energy rounds. Two Ice Beams is not an average energy round. 1 HB is average. Number of moves you use also counts. A 3 mover that adds up to two Tbolts of energy will exhaust you more than just 2 TBolts. Draining doesn't automatically refresh you (unless it's a whole shitton of energy) but it can help you keep going. Fighting SC is also a thing. If you ignore breathers, then you'll be a bit sloppy in the next round but it won't cripple you. You'd have to ignore it badly in order for something to seriously go wrong. Base the extent of this on what their recent energy use has been looking like. If they've used 2 HBs in the last two rounds then the effects won't be as bad as if they used 3. Generally speaking, you should aim for "detrimental, but not strategically inviable".

Think of it like you're playing some Ultimate Frisbee. Short Term is the feeling you get after you sprinted across the field so you can lay out in the end zone. Mid Term is the feeling you get after you've played hard for three straight points and so it's time to rotate out for a point then come back in later. Long Term is the fatigue you feel after the game is finished as an accumulation of all the energy you exerted over the course of the game.
Well ok. This is a solid start. I think a lot of people would agree that it is the ideal model of the current status quo.

We now need to move to considering how we can actually implement it in practice. It is probably a fair statement to say that a lot of refs fail to keep track of at least two of these factors in any given round. Certainly I don't know of any refs that actually do keep track of all three (and remember to have it impact on the match) for more than two or three rounds in a row.

We also need to consider how type energy fits in to this. It is fair to say that a lot of refs are intimidated by Reed styles of energy even though it is also fair to say that most vets acknowledge it is a much better way of running ASB than just having a set total of type energy and having it run down.

So. How do we get the energy system to work out in such a way that ASB is fun and enjoyable for everyone? We need to set down the foundations in writing and then we need to make refs and battlers take it seriously. If six months from now everyone is still spamming 2x Flamethrower every round then we will have failed.

I personally feel that if you substitute "you must take a one-move round" for "you must take a one-move round OR use two low powered moves" then you basically render the whole thing meaningless because you remove the need for battlers to pace themselves or think about energy conservation. I think some people would prefer that we keep the two low powered moves thing because they think it makes ASB more dynamic and exciting.

Last edited by Mercutio; 06-05-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote