Thread: Exhaustion
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
Jerichi
本✚能

Wooper Exhaustion

...and eventually is now!

Alright, exhaustion has become a problem. I'm happy that people are enforcing one-move rounds and whatnot but it's gotten to the point where you basically cannot use high-power moves without totally screwing yourself.

Let's start by reading what the site says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Site
Exhaustion - Although Pokémon are generally trained fighters, they are not fighting machines, and require rests in order to fight efficiently and effectively. Every 3 or so rounds, perhaps longer if their rounds were relatively light, a Pokémon should have at least one round in which it uses either one move or two lower energy moves. Using a high-energy move as a one-mover will also somewhat mitigate their exhaustion, but not to same effect as other moves of lower energy. A Pokémon who is exhausted will have slower reaction times, move and use moves more slowly, and, if they go a number of rounds without a rest, will burn energy at an increased rate and eventually cause their moves to lose power. Using multiple high energy moves in a row can also cause exhaustion and can cause the moves to cost more energy and lose power faster than normal.
The intent: make your Pokémon be forced to take a break here and there in order to keep you from reeling off 4 Thunders in a row without drawback. (Notice that nowhere it says "using a move over X energy will cause exhaustion".)

The practice: people are making it so if you use a high energy move at all, you're immediately exhausted and suffer hugely as a consequence, and not stopping and dropping a full move will not mitigate your exhaustion at all.

This is partly my fault, as many common, high-power moves have had exhaustion written into them. The rule around exhaustion isn't also worded too clearly. But there are still some really bad habits that have been propagated. Let's take a closer look at the rule as written to clarify some points.

Quote:
Every 3 or so rounds, perhaps longer if their rounds were relatively light, a Pokémon should have at least one round in which it uses either one move or two lower energy moves.
This is the thing that really gets my goat more than anything else. I know that we have talked for ages about one-move rounds and how important they are, but - let's be honest - it's pretty rarely advantageous to just stop using moves in the middle of a match up. If you can find a good gap or can convince your opponent to have a mutual one-mover, great! But I wrote this into the rule because, strategically, it sucks to be forced to use one move.

I have seen this been more or less ignored, but it's really part of what will keep exhaustion from being crippling. Admittedly it's vague, but I think a good rule of thumb is if you're using a total of major (if it's still earlyish) to significant (if it's later) energy in a round, you should be given a break.

Quote:
Using a high-energy move as a one-mover will also somewhat mitigate their exhaustion, but not to same effect as other moves of lower energy.
So I will admit this is a pretty poorly worded part and while well-intentioned, probably does more harm than good. My original goal here was to make it so you can't just throw out a nuke as a one-mover and expect to be totally refreshed as a consequence. But now that I've experienced people playing with this rule, I think I'm going to go back on it. However, we still should have it so you can't get away totally scott-free with a Hyper Beam as a one mover. Please suggest better wording.

Quote:
A Pokémon who is exhausted will have slower reaction times, move and use moves more slowly, and, if they go a number of rounds without a rest, will burn energy at an increased rate and eventually cause their moves to lose power.
This part is probably taken a little too literally. I've notice refs basically cripple 'mon as a consequence of exhaustion and I think we really need to start viewing the drawbacks as a drop in Speed instead of making them basically unable to function as Pokémon. I also think this is probably set up poorly - we really should probably make Pokémon burn more energy sooner and make them slow later. Please discuss this point.

Now, some miscellany:

-If both Pokémon take a one-mover, they should both be refreshed. None of this "the round ends early, they're not refreshed" stuff. That is bad for balance.

-I will be writing exhaustion out of moves that are not Hyper Beam level.

-We really need to have a talk about Roost - it is kind of a bad thing to have a move that both restores health and puts you in an advantageous place energy-wise. We also probably need to discuss other energy-restoring moves as well but this is less pressing.

-We sort of need to talk about absolute nukes as well, e.g. things like Bide, Counter, Mirror Coat, etc., and how we want to handle those. The current rules don't do too well with them and what's come in their place make them really crippling and not really worth using unless you can score a safe KO.

I might think of other things later but I think this is a good jumping off point.

Discuss.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote