View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #32
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Okay, so the Smeargle SC in the Google Docs, I wanted to bring up.

Smeargle (Normal): Smeargle may use the move Sketch to permanently learn new moves. Smeargle may learn up to ten Sketched moves as a TL1 Pokémon. For each level that a Smeargle gains, it can learn an additional three moves, up to a maximum of 31 total Sketched moves (other moves which Smeargle can learn naturally do not count towards this limit). Moves which Smeargle has learned must be noted in the Miscellaneous Squad Submissions thread and recorded in the Pokémon’s biography. Moves can also be deleted freely using this thread. Smeargle may not Sketch the same move more than once without deleting it first and cannot Sketch signature moves or moves learned via signatures. The amount of off-type energy that Smeargle receives is proportional to the types of moves that it copies. Smeargle may also may use their tails to paint their surroundings or their foes. This counts as a move and can serve a variety of purposes, from marking gathering points to writing taunts that will enrage the opponent. Smeargle have sensitive hearing, at the expense of being more vulnerable to sound based status attacks. They fight more enthusiastically in urban environments.

Okay, so I do have a few problems with this.

For one, if Legend moves are really the problem (which, as they are now, most aren't even close to a problem with this), then what needs to be banned is Legend moves being Sketched (and the Legend moves actually being made worth a damn to justify that). Honestly, if a Pokemon is sigged with a move, then they know that move. I've used the example before, and I will continue to do so, but if an Octillery is sigged with Water Shuriken, does it apparently somehow massively suck at using it? A Zangoose's sigged Cut is somehow imperfect compared to an Umbreon's Cut? It doesn't really make sense that way.

And an even bigger issue: even if we do a ban on Sketching certain things, this is not the place to put it. Putting it in Smeargle SC, instead of in Sketch's description, means that every Pokemon sigged with Sketch is not under those restrictions and is better at Sketch than Smeargle. Especially ironic in the face of some people saying Pokemon sigged with a move should only have a shitty handle on it.

Tl;dr: if Legend moves are the issue, just ban Legend moves from being Sketched (but really, only if they get made good enough to justify it), and this belongs more in the Sketch description anyway, lest Sketch sigs > Smeargle's natural Sketch.