Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #1962
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
CMC Episode, Crusaders of the Lost Mark

Super spoilers ahead
Spoiler: show
These are my thoughts as I watch this:

I really like CMC episodes. And their songs, I really like. This is a very musical episode.

Silver Spoon bites Diamond Tiara back. Damn. Didn't even vote for her for Student Pony President. No-one but DT voted for her.

Also, DT gets songs. And she has a kind of abusive home life. Her mother is the worst kind of bigot.

And the CMC are trying to reform their worst antagonist. And DT is actually pushing back against her mother. And saying to her face that she wants something that Spoiled Rich (her mother) doesn't: friends. Fucking OWNED.

And right after a personal epiphany about how it doesn't matter if they ever get their Cutie Marks

CMC HAVE CUTIE MARKS! CMC HAVE CUTIE MARKS!
CMC HAVE CMC CUTIE MARKS!

RAINBOW DASH SINGS A COUPLE LINES TO SCOOTS AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL

What I noticed was that when they got their cutie marks together, there was a big release of energy.

It's interesting, as well, because this episode is a Diamond Tiara one just as much as a CMC one. And she is seemingly redeemed. And I actually like it. It actually has a lot of hinting in the series coming up to this point. This episode gave me a lot of feels.

I'm also glad that the "hints" dropped to their talents from Show Stoppers were nothing. Their true talents are being The Cutie Mark Crusaders. They helped someone they had been bullied by, one member even mocked for being possibly disabled. but in the year and a half or so since they formed the CMC, they had learned enough about friendship, without having to do friendship letters, without Elements of Harmony, with just themselves and the examples of those around them. They sympathised with Diamond Tiara, helped her figure out what her true purpose and talent really were and how to use it to be a good person and not a tyrant, and reformed her with their caring and charisma. Princess of Friendship Twilight Sparkle could really learn something from these little fillies.

Also, Apploosa's Most Wanted isn't just worthless filler anymore, it's actually a big lead-up into this episode

With this season's theme as Cutie Mark Magic, and the Season 5.5 Trailer talking about things changing right before showing the CMC three-way sishoof, I definitely was expecting this to happen this season. And I think it was done beautifully. This episode is also really full of music, and I really liked how it was used. It used the music to better effect than Magical Mystery Cure, and I quite liked Magical Mystery Cure.

I've seen some people saying this should have been stretched over more than one episode. But really, it has. the CMC/Luna episodes, Flight To The Finish, and especially, surprisingly, Apploosa's Most Wanted, were pretty huge lead-ups to this and I think set the tone perfectly. Even Hearts and Hooves Day and Call of the Cutie showed a lot of the unity and willingness to help others in it.

This episode has actually redeemed what I found the most dull episode in this season so far, too.

In closing, I really loved this episode, and I think it jumped into my top 5, maybe even top 3, episodes. And I do not think that the CMC's arc is over. This may be the apotheosis for their career of looking for their marks, but I think it's just a new beginning for them. I really like how the CMC have been, especially the past couple seasons, and this episode definitely did not disappoint me. I love their stories and they show a lot more personal growth, and sometimes better friendship lessons, than the Mane 6 do.

Great job, AKR
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs: