View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #25
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger View Post
I just think there should be an alternate method for people who don't want to ref, giving people the option of ref or leave either makes for a less happy community and subpar reffing because they don't want to do it but have to while forcing people to leave just makes the community smaller and makes all the issues I have and the issues you guys bring up even worse. I just felt the need to bring my concerns up front to everyone, and to at least bring it up for discussion, I know I don't contribute and I don't know the majority of the people here but an opposite/outside view can be needed when the people deciding on it doesn't really pertain to them since they're way past TL3-TL4 while most of the people in those including myself are still learning asb since you can rush through 1 and 2 without much experience.

Maybe just passing the ref test gets you into TL4 while reffing restrictions on the next set of levels, for one it doesn't force newer players or middle level players into reffing and passing the test would make more people try reffing at their own pace instead of rushing through just to get to TL4, would you rather have refs who enjoy it and are good at it or bad refs who hate what they're doing. The learning curve is still there from 3 to 4 as players are either still fresh to the game or don't have the experience to give quality reffings. Quality over Quantity should be considered also maybe limit the matches people can battle to 1 on each forum will help with the refs being overworked while new refs are brought in on their own accord.
I have to agree with Concept in regards to this, the mandatorization of reffing for advancing to higher TLs will not only assist the league but also those involved as I can honestly say reffing helps you learn a lot more about the ins and outs of battling in ASB than solely battling ever can. The fact is, those who only battle and do not ref matches are either still TL1 or are a very small minority of the community, making the people that this will specifically impact a lot less than you seem to be implying. No offense to any of those who are like this of course, but reffing should really be a requirement for those who want to advance further in ASB. The requirements for TLs are fine as is; ref tests getting sent out and graded in a reasonable time would clearly need to be focused on a bit more to have this system not become a giant backlog, but considering the bevy of recent changes, I think that the LOs can handle it if they put their minds to it. The whole quality over quantity thing is pretty much moot at this point considering there are very few consistently active refs in the league at all, so even though at first it may be quantity, quality will come with time. Even if it doesn't, it'll help those involved to learn as well as make sure the reffing duties don't fall primarily to a choice 4-5.

Now, I'm not entirely sure why you're assuming there's any level of speed required in this Ger. Connor and Dave's rushes through the Trainer Levels are the exception, not the norm. For most, going up to higher levels, especially those tied to the reffing requirement, can already take up to a year or more to reach normally, which gives ample time for the reffing of matches as well as anything else. ASB was never designed to be something you can blast through to the end to within 2-3 years, which can even be seen in the way that none of the current trainers qualify for the new TL7. In a perfect world where everyone refs within the 48 hour bonus and orders almost immediately, it would still not be as quick of a process as you seem to want it to be.

There's not going to be any problem with an influx of new refs, there simply aren't enough people already not already reffing that would be affected by this to make any of this a dramatic change. There've been matches within the last 1-3 weeks that have been sitting on said queues for about a week before they get taken, there's definitely not a lack of matches to be taken either, especially considering you can fulfill the requirement over the period of several months if not more than a year, rather than trying to cram it into a couple of weeks. The whole model for your expectations in your post(s) depends on the leveling process to be something that occurs on a quick and easy basis, which it doesn't at all and never will. Overall, even if there are a few people negatively affected by the change, more people and the league as a whole are going to be affected positively.

So yeah, what Concept said.