View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Alright, I guess I'll start us off by mentioning something relatively non-controversial and safe. I have five minutes between revising macula densa anyway.

1. Current Move Descriptions:

Electric Terrain (EL) - For considerable energy the user sends a powerful electric charge into the ground, causing it to surge with electricity for five turns. The charge energizes any Pokémon in contact with the ground, preventing them from falling asleep and also makes Electric-type moves slightly stronger. Nature Power will become Thunderbolt while this move is in effect, and Weather Ball will become Electric-typed when used by a grounded Pokémon.

Grassy Terrain (GR) - For considerable energy the user spreads invigorating Grass energy along the ground, causing grass and flowers to sprout in even the most rugged environments. This super invigorated grass will restore some (~light) health to all Pokémon touching the ground for the next five rounds, until the energy fades and also makes Grass-type moves slightly stronger. Nature Power will become Seed Bomb while this move is in effect, and Weather Ball will become Grass-typed when used by a grounded Pokémon.

Misty Terrain (FA) - For considerable energy the user spreads magical Fairy energy along the ground, causing a low pink mist to rise up. This strange mist protects any Pokémon making contact with ground from being afflicted by statuses for five rounds, as well as strengthening Fairy-type moves slightly and making Dragon-type moves slightly weaker. Nature Power will become Moonblast while this move is in effect, and Weather Ball will become Fairy-typed when used by a grounded Pokémon.

2. Current Problems:
  • Because they carry a relatively sizeable energy cost for a net benefit which helps both the foe and the user, I don't think anybody ever uses Terrain moves. Like ever.
  • Refs have been treating the methods of removing these in arbitrary manners.
  • Personally, I've been allowing Rapid Spin and Defog to remove them, but back when Misty Terrain was its old form, newer refs were allowing a Gust to remove Electric Terrain and an Ember to clear Grassy Terrain. Won't name names, but yeah, standardising the ways of removal (if any) would be nice.

3. Potential Proposals & Suggestions:

I'm not sure how to make them more useable. Maybe dropping the energy cost slightly? Maybe the STAB users (eg Grass-types + Florges for Grassy Terrain, Electrics for Electric Terrain, Fairies for Misty Terrain) would be able to use the Terrain moves for less energy/more potent?

Also, standardising their methods of removal to Defog, Rapid Spin, and something that truly alters the arena like Fissure or Magnitude rather than EQ or Bulldoze? Magnitude/Fissure break the arena more than Bulldoze/EQ anyway, and the former two are less widely distributed than Bulldoze anyway. Also, a reason to use Magnitude suddenly arises.

--Disappears back to studying kidneys and pyelonephritis.