View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #63
Jerichi
本✚能

I've read most of this by now but I like to see concrete suggestions so Concept gets my replies. Thanks Concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
  • A challenge system like tennis. Each battler gets 1 challenge to a reffing for a 1 or 2 mon match, two for a three or four mon match and three for a five or six mon match. Passive-aggressive comments like "oh I thought X would do Y. *Orders*" count as a challenge. This normalises that hey, occasionally refs get stuff wrong and that's ok and we have a system for dealing with it while also seriously curbing how often refs get challenged. The amount of times and manner in which people challenge reffings is probably the single biggest disincentive right now.
  • I'm fine with this, though I think we need to still let people ask questions. Sometimes the ref is just wrong and a question is the nicest/easiest way for you to give them an opportunity to check their work. If you don't like the answer, then you can use a challenge.
    Quote:
  • Let refs walk away with their SP if the battlers are slow. Stricter DQ times mitigated by a Bowl-style exception system (miss the DQ time by X amount Y times per match is ok), let refs walk away if people miss this. Battlers can replace slow refs, let refs replace slow reffing slots. On a related note we should be willing to fire slow GLs to stop inactive GLs occupying gyms that active trainers could be striving for.
  • I'm fine with this. We should probably give some reason to DQ because most people just wait it out considering oftentimes it's more of a pain to start a new battle than it is to stick with an existing one. Suggestions there would be good.

GLs that don't have at least one battle moving or that have been DQ'd more than once in a given period should probably be put in on the chopping block.

Quote:
  • Reduce the entry barrier for refs by wriitng a Reffing 101. Consult with fairly new refs (6 months to a year) on things they wish they'd known starting out. Get some of our better non-LO refs to help write it so it actually happens.
  • I think this is one thing that would be a perfect community project that would need minimal LO input aside from revision and whatever they want to input themselves. I'll discuss this more at length and see how we want to execute this.
    Quote:
  • Coaching. Explicitly invite say half a dozen of the better non-LO refs to do ref coaching, that thread was a great idea but the execution was eh.
  • Okay. I always think people who are already approved should coach more.
    Quote:
  • More frequent evaluations. People put in effort to battling quick when they smell a new TL and the same is often true around evals time for better grades. A grade refs are perfectly capable of helping run the evals, which makes it easier to make them actually happen.
  • Part of the reason why evals haven't happened as regularly as they should is that the process has required multiple LO powwows which are always hard to organize. And if we want to do them right, we have to go through a lot of information on each ref to get a good impression. Perhaps we need to restructure them a little somehow?
    Quote:
  • Similarly A grades are probably capable of doing ref tests if supervised initially. Ref school can be slow as balls, this speeds it up.
  • I'd be fine with deputizing a few A grades to do this.
    Quote:
  • Letting A grades ref GMs was a great idea and we need more of the same. Make sure to spread legend matches and contest judging out to our better refs. Not only does this provide an analogous incentive to battlers striving for GL and badges, it also makes contests and legend matches more likely to move by not relying on LOs who already have a lot of other stuff on their plates. Have a separate ref queue for extraordinary stuff (contest judging/reffing, legend matches, etc) that only B grades and higher can take from (GMs are super complicated and should stay at A grade only, which also helps differentiate B and A).
This is something we've been working on, especially considering I'm not always around/the most reliable, Dave's been MIA ASB-wise, and Connor has plenty to ref as it is. I'll push for this in the future.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote