View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #48
Snorby
Snackin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
- Remove Referee cap. Suggested that problem is more our good referees being limited on slots than anything else.
Oh dear god no please. I get it, it sucks when our best refs are out of slots or having them held up by people who don't order when you need a match reffed, and it sucks for the refs themselves to be at their cap with matches that don't move when they want to contribute and get their SP. I've been in both those positions a bunch, trust me. But that doesn't mean we should let people ref however much they want, because first off:

-Think about how badly ASB shut down with Connor going on TA. Barely anything moved at all the entire time. Now imagine if Connor reffed beyond his cap and just how badly it would have stalled if Connor wasn't limited in some small way by ref caps. Sure, we have other refs, but both Miror and Josh- good refs who seem to enjoy reffing and would be likely to take more matches than their cap- have posted a TA or two recently. Schaden refs a ton of matches and he has the 7th most TAs on UPN! We'd be having whole sections of ASB shut down whenever one of our like 5 referees leaves for a vacation/gets sick/gets extra hours at work/has a shitload of homework. That isn't a nice thought.

-On top of that, there's the possibility that in all likelihood would come to fruition, like Kush said, of our best refs getting burned out quickly, and then we fall into a massive lull when the people we've been relying on so heavily stop reffing. The past has shown that you can't expect people to ref a million matches consistently and quickly forever.

Quote:
- Factor in reliability for the speed grades. This will require more frequent evaluations again, but is something worthwhile.
I was under the impression we already did this, but yeah I do think that's a good idea. I'm sorry but people should not get + ratings if they're posting TAs every 20 minutes and through that always keep their 48 hour bonus but in reality only ref 1-2 a week at best.

Quote:
- Reshuffle bonuses to work within match ups. So if you referee the first match up within the 48 hours, but the next within a week, you get 2 SP for the first and 1.25 for the second.
Yes please! This is basically a better way to do what I thought of last night. With this, if somebody misses a bonus they have reason to try and be fast later on in the match.

Quote:
- Following that, introduce a new checkpoint. x2 bonus for 48, x1.75 for 96 hours, x1.5 weekly, x1.25 fortnightly, and beyond that just a solid flat x1. (Personally feel this somewhat devalues x2).
This could work, but honestly it might be better if you omit the x1.75 completely and have x2 for 48, x1.5 for weekly, x1.25 for fortnightly. Like you said, x1.75 for 96 arguably devalues the 48 hour bonus noticeably.

Quote:
- Using new checkpoints, refreshing bonus only knocks you up two stages. Limited to 1 for 2 vs. 2, 2 for 4 vs. 4, 3 for 6 vs. 6
Limited to 1 stage or 1 refresh? 'Cause I for one think it'd be nice if for longer matches had more chances to refresh.

Quote:
- Fifth battle slot remaining open for those who referee 5 matches minimum? That way if they use all their standard slots they are at least refereeing the same number of matches that they are participating in.
Perhaps something like the WF point system could work? Implement into the battle results form a tally for matches reffed, then for every five matches you have reffed you can have 1 match in your 5th slot?

Quote:
- Create a separate thread for in battle questions? I feel this could possibly lead to the same negative feeling spilling out but if we are mature about it and lay down regulating rules then it could work.
Ehh, I'm sorta iffy on this one. I feel like it would quickly turn into people getting upset again, only instead of at their battlers at the community as a whole for not backing them up on their reffing. That's not a happy thought.

Quote:
With regards to punishment, how do we make it work without making people feel they are being targeted? If we're all to be honest here, there is a culture of disrespect but also a culture of bullying. Should we also punish members who are constantly whaling on members? I don't mean to me, everyone knows that's in jest, but it has to be said that it sets something of a precedent. If we're going to crack down on disrespect to referees I feel it is an pointless undertaking if we're not also going to balance that by cracking down on general member disrespect. Before I get anyone shouting out against this, you know who I mean and you know it is a problem.
Honestly I do not think this is the time or the place for this discussion. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means saying this isn't an important topic- it's very important and we need to discuss it. Just not here and not now. This is about how to get ref morale and motivation up, yet the conversation here is slowly but surely getting derailed into being purely about how, if at all, we can handle general member disrespect, and then derailed further by what the LOs as a whole need to shape up on. This kind of stuff is better suited to Jeri's thread on SPPf, so I think we should all go there for this, lest we get completely sidetracked from the matter at hand- referees.

Edit: Oh, Jeri beat me to the last part :p

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote