Thread: Shenmue III
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
deoxys
こばやし だいすき~

So yeah, PikaGod was right, Sony have come out and said they're funding part if it now after the success of the Kickstarter...

Talon, you're 100% right in being unsure of which system to go with. I personally think your argument about having the lasting longevity of having the PC version with guaranteed "backwards compatibility" so to speak for a much longer time than PS4 will most likely be offered way down the road from now - so eventually in 20 or 30 years, one would hope, being able to play your original Kickstarter edition of Shenmue 3 will be covered by your physical copy and likely tie to a Steam account (I would imagine) means you won't have to worry about not having a "digital only version" - not to mention even if it were supported on a future PlayStation system, you'd probably have to buy it all over again (though who knows if the future will phase out such archaic practices or not).

If you see yourself playing some games in the future so long as they aren't console exclusive, I'd say go for the PC. For just 1.5x the price of a PS4 you can pretty easily build system that will run games better than a console can, though you'll be losing the comfort level a console has in portability. Other than that the security of never worrying about backwards compatibility or not is great, and upgrading your system comes in bits in pieces every few years instead of one large purchase at a time every 5-8 years. Of course you already know this, but it's nice to get the pros and cons out in the open for consideration.

Perhaps they will offer stretch goals of a physical edition for the PS4 though some point soon, it wouldn't surprise me.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote