View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 AM   #41
Mercutio
Banned

So to lay my cards on the table, I think the second option is asking for trouble. It's an unnecessary change that doesn't solve an existing serious problem and requires more of our refs. It's more sophisticated and allows for a lot more long term play but it also allows for type spam right off the bat and will probably lead to a more boring ASB. Given that the majority of refs don't bother to tell you how your type energy is (and that many don't tell you how your helath and/or energy is) I really fail to see how keeping track of energy regen is in any way a smart move. If the entire ASB made a collective effort to be better at reffing then fine but they won't and we all know this to be true.

As for the first option, well, I wrote it. But the given levels were intended to be haggled over in the LO sub forum, it's just that no-one really bothered. Assuming that you can play around with the actual levels of energy allowed, we have a few issues to discuss.

One is the Normal nerf. Well, of course it's arbitrary. It's an arbitrary mechanism that has never actually worked particularly well but has always been accepted because it's the easiest way to deal with the enhanced coverage of a lot of Normal types. Speaking as a former Normal type GL, if you were to get rid of the nerf entirely there's only about half a dozen lines that would really need to be looked at and several of those aren't Normal type any more. The rest would merely be good pokémon. The Normal nerf inherently ignores the fact that some Normal types are awful and some other pokémon are actually better than the good Normal types anyway. Now that Clefable and Wigglytuff have forced our hand, we'll probably start dealing with this, and I can foresee a dozen lines being given the nerf. Stuff like Dragonite, Gyarados, Tyranitar, Nidoking, Octillary. Of course the difference is that these examples are much much easier to kill than Snorlax. So maybe we won't. But we can certainly look at removing it from stuff like Delcatty and we are already removing it from all dual type Normals. That's a thing which is happening regardless of how this discussion pans out.

The other thing is this concept of giving refs freedom to interpret stuff. I'm gonna call bullshit on that. We give you freedom to interpret stuff like dodge chance, attack interaction, secondary effect chances. We don't really give you freedom over health and energy; there's a bit of wiggle room but basically you have a set scale to work from and are obligated to tell people when you deviate from it. There is no argument for not doing this with type energy. It should have a codified and standardised baseline and you should be able to wiggle with it a small amount but if you choose to ref wildly differently then trainers should have the right to call you out on it. This is particularly important because the vast majority of refs don't actually tell people this kind of information as it becomes relevant. I routinely find myself eating attacks I shouldn't really have to or out of type energy when I should be good to go, largely because of ref laziness and a lack of standardisation. You want a bit of freedom? Fine. But the whole reason I included 'fauxmiliarity' was to negate the need to go "oh hey Electabuzz has lots of Fighting moves let's give it another Dynamic Punch". That's what fauxmiliarity refers to. It refers to a pokémon having lots of moves of a type but not actually being familiar with it.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote