View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
The Case of Inkay and Ink

Kush, thank you for setting up this thread. I guess I will be the one to take the thread's cherry. Here is my case. Please feel free to ignore it if you think it's ludicrous. I won't mind!

--
1) Provide links to a screen cap showing animé evidence and/or provide links to a video showing animé evidence (please provide us with a time stamp)

Inkay fires an inky beam at Pikachu which inflicts significant damage and severely limits Pikachu's eyesight to the point that Pikachu cannot open his eyes; Ash needs to provide extended instructions which specifically detail location and coordinations for Pikachu.

This move sounds a lot like Octazooka. Furthermore, other Pokemon beside Octillery (such as Horsea and Sableye) learn Octazooka, which suggests that the move has distribution outside of the Remoraid line.

Source:
Pokémon the Series: XY [Episode 8] Grooming Furfrou!

Time Stamp: 13:52 to 15:51

2) Provide links to the Bulbapedia article for the move, pokémon etc. in question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW and FR/LG Description of Octazooka
The user attacks by spraying ink at the target's face or eyes. This may also lower the target's accuracy.
Bulbapedia Source: Octazooka

Source: James's Inkay / Inkay (its name in multiple languages refers to either squids or ink)

3) Explain the in game effect of the move in question

The user shoots out ink at the opponent, dropping their accuracy which is analogous to limiting the opponent's vision. The in-game effects heavily implies that it's ink that is similar to the one seen used by Inkay in the anime.

Whether this should mean adding a SC-esque move like Ampharos's glowing tail or just giving Inkay Octazooka via this page, that decision is for the LOs to potentially decide.

4) Briefly note the differences between what we do and what the animé does

We do not give Inkay the ability to shoot ink. Now, since XY is still quite nascent, we do not know if this is an isolated example. However, unlike Jetpack Larvesta or levitating Stunfisk, this case is not as ludicrous. The name "Inkay" implies "ink", and giving Inkay some sort of ink squirting ability will not significantly change the ASB, as Jetpack!Larvesta or Levitating!Stunfisk might have.

Giving Inkay the ability to use Octazooka or some sort of ink beam would increase Inkay's usability in a new metagame which does not favour Dark-types. It will give a new life to a Pokemon who already must compete with other Darks and Psychics for a squad place. Furthermore, this change will also bring us closer to the games and the anime's intention when they gave Inkay that name.

Last edited by Schadenfreude; 03-15-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote