Thread: Dangan Ronpa
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #26
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Right, right, and I can totally see where you're coming from too, I'm just sort of playing the devil's advocate here somewhat. My point is that when it comes to translation choices, it's always a tug of war between a translation which better preserves meaning at the expense of sounding natural in the target language versus one which sounds more natural in the target language but comes at the expense of semantic precision. I definitely sympathize with both teams, the one having opted for "heir" over "nobleson" or "affluent progeny" because it sounded like more natural English and was much more concise, the other having opted for "affluent progeny" because it conveyed to the English-speaking fans all of the same information that was conveyed to the Japanese-speaking fans.

TBH, the thing that bothers me more is how 超 somehow became "Super Duper". Nobody says "super duper" in English except for doofuses or really cheery and kinda childish people. 超 chou is commonly translated into English as just plain "super", and you see it all the time in SNES titles. (The original game will be 超{game name} and the English one will be Super{game name}. Later in the console's life they started using スーパー suupaa "Super", usually for reverse-imported games like Rare's Donkey Kong Country which was rebranded as Super Donkey Kong over there.) It's a common enough adverb used by certain demographics, including some pre-teen boys and the niche demographic of gyarus and the like. So like ... try to imagine stereotypical valley girl talk from the 1980s ... and now try to imagine one of those girls saying "super duper." ^_^; They wouldn't, would they?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote