Thread: Dangan Ronpa
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherUser View Post
I kinda want to know why they don't just call Togami "Heir" instead of shit like "Affluent Progeny".

That's literally just the more drawn-out way of saying Heir.
Not to be pedantic, just to answer your question: you can be an heir without being affluent. Being an heir just means that you're the next in line to head a family and/or that you're the one who inherited the family estate. But if your dad was an alcoholic who squandered the family fortune on booze and women and died penniless, then while you'd still technically be the heir to his estate, you wouldn't be the least bit rich.

So if the original Japanese title for this guy conveyed that he was wealthy, then some of the fan translators may have opted to call him "Affluent Progeny" rather than "Heir".

Looked up his original title just now. Here's what Jim Breen has to say on the matter:
Quote:
御曹司; 御曹子 【おんぞうし】 (n) son of a distinguished family; son of a noble
Some of the translations opted for smoothness over preserving meaning (and so went for "Heir", nice and short and easy to say). Others of the translations prioritized preserving original intent/meaning over worries about word salad (and so went for "Affluent Progeny" since "Super Duper Son Of A Noble" would've been weird ). I guess they could've neologized 御曹司 into "nobleson", but people tend to frown upon neologisms in translation. ^^; (I know I did when I saw a recent translation of a Japanese slang term, 喪女, as "unpogirl". Yes, you read that right: they abbreviated "unpopular" into "unpo". )
Talon87 is online now   Reply With Quote