Thread: Ghosts
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Mercutio
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,729
Ghosts

G'day,

As has just been shown by the Zora vs Loki match, the Ghost pokémon rules section could use a redress. Some pokémon are not mentioned, some pokémon are merely implied to exist and pretty much nobody even remembers about the 'gaseous' state nowadays.

With this in mind, I took a liberty and rewrote it for all pokémon not included and made a few edits to the existing stuff (italics). Feel free to ignore this or redo it, but I'm quite happy to make changes as suggested if the LOs are happy for me to do so. I had no idea what to do with Rotom so that will be wrong.

Not trying to undermine anyone but I know that you LOs have a life and since I'm sitting in bed at midday it appears that I don't. Thought I'd handle a small job for you.

---

Ghost Pokémon Information

Ghosts. The undead of the Pokémon world. Ghosts have the ability to switch between four 'forms', each having their own advantages and disadvantages.

Solid: What all other Pokémon classify as. Their bodies are solid, and can be harmed and damaged by physical blows.

Ethereal: The 'ghostly' state, the ghost must concentrate to a minimal degree to remain in this form. They are visible, yet all attempts at physical damage pass right through. In this form, although immune to physical, they are now much more susceptible to 'special' attacks than the solid form, and take more (about +50%) damage from them. Ice Beam, Psychic, Shadow Ball etc. Water does not classify as such, despite the game's 'special' classification of it, and will pass through in this state. Ghosts will still take some damage from the 'aura' of a physical attack if it has one. For example, if a ghost is ethereal and is hit by Skull Bash, the attacker will pass right through the ghost but the ghost will take a portion of the damage it would normally receive because of the aura. In this state, ghosts also have the ability to pass through solid objects e.g. pillars, ceilings, floors, so long as they keep moving and are not in solid space for more than five seconds. This means Ghost Pokémon can NOT go and hide underground in the ethereal form, though they can go under momentarily, coming back out a few seconds later for perhaps a surprise attack. While in this state, a ghost may not use any physical attacks and must change to the solid form in order to use them (this will happen automatically if a ghost in this mode is ordered to use a physical attack).

Gaseous: Not quite ethereal, a little closer to solid. Like ethereal, it can't be damaged by physical attacks, but they still produce a little effect, a 'funny feeling' that can become quite distracting if it's a large or fast 'hit'. The Ghost will still take damage from an attack's 'aura' in this state. 'Special' attacks are still more effective than solid, but not quite as bad as ethereal (about +33%). Gaseous ghosts are not capable of passing through walls, but can fit through even the tiniest of gaps, say, a crack or split in a wall. The time it takes to pass through this hole though will depend on it's size, obviously a while for a tiny crack or pinhole. I]While in this state, a ghost may not use any physical attacks and must change to the solid form in order to use them (this will happen automatically if a ghost in this mode is ordered to use a physical attack).[/I]

Invisible: The ghost becomes invisible, and cannot be seen. Although harder to hit because it can't be targeted, it will take damage from most any hit, as it is in its solid state whilst invisible. The invisible form is limited to 2 rounds per ghost per battle. In this mode, only physical moves and mind affecting attacks e.g. Confuse Ray, Hypnosis may be used.


Unless the ghost is ordered to be in a certain state, it remains fluctuating between solid and ethereal/gaseous unless otherwise stated. If it sees a solid/physical attack coming, it will easily become ethereal or gaseous to avoid the damage. Thus, if a 'special' attack is coming at it, it will shift to solid form to minimize the damage, as it is more susceptible to it in ethereal form.

If a ghost is caught by surprise by a physical attack, say, from behind, each of ghost has a different chance of being struck, which is explained in their descriptions (referees should use their own discretion). Surprise special attack chances are the inverse of mentioned physical surprise chances. (e.g. Haunter: 40% chance of physical surprise hit --> 60% of more effective special hit.) The time in ethereal/gaseous is split evenly among the two, so surprise special hits that hit with a damage bonus is half the time +50%, and half the time +33%.

---

Gastly: The only ghost that is in ethereal/gaseous form all the time. It can not attain a solid form except when it becomes invisible. As a trade-off for its near complete physical immunity, it remains slower than most ghosts. Gastly can fly, though it is not as fast or agile as true flying pokémon or other ghosts and cannot fly as high as they can. It can see in the dark.

Haunter: The middle of the three possibly solid ghosts. When not expecting them, physical attacks will most often miss, yet they do have a solid chance of hitting (about 40%). Haunter may go physical in order to use physical attacks but prefers to remain in the ethereal or gaseous modes. Haunter can fly, though it is not as fast or agile as true flying pokémon and cannot fly as high as they can. It can see in the dark.

Gengar: The most solid ghost, and the only one to actually stand on the ground, if this fastest ghost is not flying. His solid form is more dominant at rest (near 66%), and he will more often than not be hit by surprise physical attacks. Gengar can fly, though it is not as fast as true flying pokémon and cannot fly as high as they can. Gengar is, however, exceptionally agile in the air. It can see in the dark.

Misdreavus/Mismagius: Aside from when it desires to be in solid form, it is almost always gaseous (about 85% of the time). Surprise physical attacks will almost always pass through Misdreavus. Misdreavus hovers quite low to the ground unless ordered not to, so when it does lapse into solid form, it can take its share of scratches on rough terrain, especially when moving fast. Misdreavus cannot switch to the ethereal mode. Misdreavus and Mismagius can fly, though they are not as fast or agile as true flying pokémon and cannot fly as high as they can. They can see in the dark.

Shedinja: Shedinja is solid at all times and will always be hit by surprise physical attacks since it is a shell of Nincada when it evolves. However, due to its Wonder Guard ability, Shedinja can only feel those attacks that are super effective against it. For more information on Shedinja, check the Creating a Squad section. Shedninja can fly, though it is not as fast or agile as true flying pokémon and cannot fly as high as they can.

Shuppet/Banette: These Pokemon are in solid form about 85% of the time (the rest of the time, the Pokemon will appear gaseous and cannot enter ethereal mode). These Pokemon always float above ground as high as their trainer is tall and cannot fly much higher than this point, though of course they may go lower. Surprise physical attacks will connect with Shuppet and Banette most of the time (about 85%). These Pokemon, like Misdreavus, cannot pass through solid objects. They can see in the dark.

Sableye: Sableye is in solid form all the time and travels only by walking or running along the ground. Surprise physical attacks will connect with Sableye about 50% of the time. This Pokemon cannot pass through solid objects. It can see in the dark. Note: Because ghosts are not immune to fighting type attacks, Sableye is weak to fighting type moves.

Duskull: Because of its sneaking nature, Duskull will be considered about 40% solid and visible when it is stationary. When it moves, its form becomes ethereal and harder to see and can pass through any object. This makes Duskull appear to teleport from one place to another. Duskull moves slightly faster than Gastly but slower than most other ghosts. Duskull is more likely to be hit by surprise physical attacks while he is stationary (about 50%). Duskull can fly, but cannot go much higher than its trainer's waist level. It can see in the dark.

Dusclops/Dusknoir: Also somewhat ethereal, these pokémon are considered to be more solid standing on the ground (about 60%) than floating in the air (about 50%). These Pokemon can float a few inches off the ground if ordered to do so. They are very slow floaters/movers because of their size and are susceptible to be hit by all special attacks. Surprise physical attacks are more likely to connect with Dusclops while it is on the ground (80%) than it is while he is floating (70%). They can see in the dark.

Drifloon/Drifblim: These Pokemon are in solid form about 85% of the time (the rest of the time, the Pokemon will appear gaseous and cannot enter ethereal mode). Surprise physical attacks will connect with Drifloon and Drifblim most of the time (about 85%). These Pokemon, like Misdreavus, cannot pass through solid objects. Drifblim is considered 'familiar' with Psychic abilities. As flying types, these pokémon move faster than the average ghost, though they can be blown off course by very strong winds.

Spiritomb: Spiritomb's keystone is 100% solid all of the time. Conversely, it's spectral body is always considered ethereal. Spiritomb may withdraw into its keystone at any time, which counts as a move (coming out of the keystone does not count as a move). Should the keystone be destroyed, it will reform within seconds, though such damage will stun Spiritomb for a few seconds. Spiritomb can levitate to a little above human eye level, though prefers to sit on or very close to ground level. It moves slower than most ghosts because it must carry its keystone with it at all times. Spritomb can see in the dark. Note: Because ghosts are not immune to fighting type attacks, Spiritomb is weak to fighting type moves.

Froslass: This Pokemon is in solid form about 85% of the time (the rest of the time, the Pokemon will appear gaseous and cannot enter ethereal mode). It likes to float at human waist level, though it may move from this point. Surprise physical attacks will connect with Froslass most of the time (about 85%). Froslass cannot pass through solid objects. It can see in the dark and can easily see through Blizzards. As a pokémon used to flying through Blizzards, it is faster than the average ghost though it is no more agile, as it is not a true flying type. Froslass's mind affecting moves are 10% more effective than normal.

Rotom: When in normal form, Rotom is considered to be ethereal 60% of the time and solid 40% of the time. Conversely, when in one of its forms, it is considered solid 80% of the time and ethereal the other 20%. Rotom may only go gaseous in normal form and may never go invisible.

---

Additional Information

All ghosts are immune to mentally affecting Psychic moves (sig or not, unless specified it can affect ghost [usually Dark type]) in all forms.

Telekinetic-based Psychic moves (Psychic, Disable) have NO effect on a ghost in the ethereal or invisible state.

Ghosts in the gaseous state are only affected by Disable, and it only reduces its ease of movement by 1/4, or lowering their speed to 3/4 of its original as long as it is held.

Ghosts in the solid state, telekinetic moves are actually somewhat effective. Disable is 3/4 effective, holding its target mostly in place, only allowing minimal movement, 1/4 speed, at great effort from the ghost. Psychic is 1/2 effective, and although the ghost can be moved, in most cases the ghost can counter that force with attempted movement of its own in the opposite direction.

Once a telekinetic move has locked it's effects on a ghost, the ghost can not change states until the opponent releases them.

Hypnosis, Psybeam and Psychic (wave/blast form only) are the only Psychic moves that have regular effects on ghost-type Pokémon.

Last edited by Mercutio; 06-24-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Mercutio is offline