UPNetwork

UPNetwork (http://forums.upnetwork.net/index.php)
-   Suggestions and Inquiries (http://forums.upnetwork.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Pokemon perks (http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=7502)

Sciz 04-10-2016 10:21 AM

Pokemon perks

All,

Forgive me if this has been discussed/defeated in the 6 years I've been away, or if this already exists somehow (haven't gotten a chance to comb through all the details). I remember that Reed proposed something like this in the past, and it kinda fizzled.

What does everyone think of individual pokemon "perks" which add small bonuses/changes in the way that pokemon fights? This can add a layer of customization to really make this more interesting. One can be acquired for each Pokemon per level, with only 1 being "attached" per match.

For example, a level 3 Charmeleon would have 3 perks to choose from, and would choose 1 when entering battle. Thus:

Male Charmeleon (Level 3)
Bio:
Perk:
Sig:

These perks can be trainer-created, or we can create a master database that is community-created and constantly added to.

Thoughts welcome.

May Joe be with you,
Sciz

Aposteriori 04-10-2016 10:24 AM

I think a sig covers this to some degree. For example, an older trainer had/has a Inkay with tentacles twice its regular length that are also sharp. It now has the chance to cause more realistic damage, and gain a boost to any slashing attack. I guess you can say that this is a perk, and a custom difference from a regular Inkay.

Could you please elaborate how a perk differs from a signature so we can continue with the dialogue?

Sciz 04-10-2016 10:31 AM

Hm, I guess that is a sticking point. Perks would be a much lower level bonus than those offered by signatures, more on the spectrum of supporting a battle style.

Some examples could be (and I'm just spit-balling here):

Agile: This pokemon's dodge ability is improved by 5%
Deadeye: This pokemon's accuracy when not moving is improved by 5%
Tough: This pokemon has an improved resistance to flinching by 10%

Aposteriori 04-10-2016 10:40 AM

I like that idea, but asb has been more organic in the last six years. Many factors influence the ability to dodge that adding a mathematical value makes it messy to some extent. Same goes for accuracy. If others can pitch in, I like where this is headed but it needs to be iron clad before it can be considered based on how new things usually get viewed.

Mercutio 04-10-2016 10:47 AM

This sounds like an unnecessary level of complication for a game already full of unnecessarily complicated things.

Sciz 04-10-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercutio (Post 742560)
This sounds like an unnecessary level of complication for a game already full of unnecessarily complicated things.

Fair enough.

Mercutio 04-10-2016 11:09 AM

Like it's cool and all but I'm just hugely wary of making reffing any harder even with just little additions.

Sciz 04-10-2016 11:10 AM

Nah, I see your point.