UPNetwork

UPNetwork (http://forums.upnetwork.net/index.php)
-   POKÉMON (http://forums.upnetwork.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Kanto Remake (http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=6996)

Talon87 08-03-2015 06:04 PM

Kanto Remake
 
A comment by Sparkbeat in the prediction thread about what comes after ORAS inadvertently launched a discussion about whether a Kanto remake would be a good idea or not and what exactly it is that we would want or not want from such a remake. I don't want to stymie the conversation, and neither do I want it to be lost to the sands of time within a thread that was never really intended to house it. So I figured I'd go ahead and make a stand-alone thread here, to allow for continued discussion and to also make it really easy to find everyone's thoughts on the topic.

Brief list o' posts so far:
  Sparkbeat mentions it
  Son_of_Shadows says no thank you
  Mercutio NO U's Son_of_Shadows
  Connor sides with S_o_S
  deoxys sides with Kush and explains what he wants to see in a Kanto remake

Heather 08-03-2015 06:41 PM

Here's an idea-when it would come time to do a second remake-remake the third version. So if we wanted to re-remake Kanto, remake Yellow. We know GF is capable of having the Pikachu follow you and what have you, and they've had voice acting for it for all of Gen 6 anyway. Of course, the only flaw in remaking Yellow would be having all three normal starters as easily obtained giftmon-because they all have Megas, and so stone distribution is a thing to figure out.

RealMrGame10 08-03-2015 07:20 PM

Or just give Pikachu a Mega Evolution

Kuvario 08-03-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealMrGame10 (Post 701389)
Or just give Pikachu a Mega Evolution

This basically.

Anyway, I'd rather not see a Kanto remake. For one, Kanto based anything is like inescapable in the franchise. It's getting rather tiring to see Gen I getting special treatment all over the place, from the amount of Megas it has, to the special "nostalgic" nods it got in XY, and so on. I understand it did start the franchise and all, but meh. It's very likely for it to be released on the 20th anniversary of Red and Green either way though.

I'd only accept one if it improved even further from what FRLG did. I doubt GF are bold enough to give it the B2W2 treatment, so that's out of the question in my view. The story is a dead end to improve on, basic region design won't be all that different I'd imagine either. Maybe the postgame content could be more than just the Sevii Islands. I think the guaranteed changes are shoehorning Mega Evolution into the plot for whatever reason, Mega Stone hunt throughout the Sevii Islands/mainland Kanto, major trainers like rival getting Mega Evolution, and more Kanto 'Mon's getting Mega Formes. Like Charizard and Mewtwo getting two new ones. Sorry that I'm being so negative here, but this is just how I honestly feel about the possibility of a Kanto remake.

EpicSquirtle 08-04-2015 10:32 AM

I was going to make my reply in the XY2/Z thread, but since this is better fit in this thread, I decided to put it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercutio (Post 701458)
Significant map expansion, yes. they can open up some of the pass between Kanto and Johto, maybe give us Mount Silver, but some new towns would be nice. And if they include the Sevii Islands I guess they could expand upon those. I always thought Kanto was the most efficiently designed map, which is nice. RBY2 would be fantastic, set it during the Hoenn era and have it be a sequel to GSC.

You do know that's impossible, right? The Hoenn games already take place during Fr/Lg, so making a sequel to Hg/Ss and having it take place during Or/As isn't possible.

Emi 08-04-2015 10:47 AM

Personally I would like to see out of a Kanto remake a movement in time. If they are just going to re-skin FR/LG, I'm not going to be very interested in it. I'm already not very interested in FR/LG. If I wanted to play a basically re-skinned RBY...I'd just play RBY. I want to see them do something more with a Kanto remake than just that. I want to see them do in a remake with Johto what they did with Kanto in GSC. The two regions are very much connected, so why not let us go to Johto? Show us where the characters in each region have gone in maybe five or ten years. That would be amazing.

Guess what I'm asking for is more of a sequel than a remake but...yeah.

Mercutio 08-04-2015 10:57 AM

I have not played FRLG in a while, is it a sequel to GD? I suppose it is with the Deoxys stuff. Ok well fine set it as a sequel to something, give us new characters and maybe some non Kanto Megas to play with.

dirkac 08-05-2015 03:13 PM

I say fuck Kanto forever and let us never visit back the most boring Region.

But aside from Kanto being a terrible Region, I seriously hope we don't get a remake. It's been shoehorned in everywhere already and we don't need to have it again. Can't we have just two Gens without Kanto? Because that would be really refreshing.
I might be up for it in Gen VII but right now I'm sick of Kanto, especially after replaying Blue and Yellow recently left a really bad taste.



Hopefully it'll be a Remake if it does happen but with Gym Teams switched around a bit. (Eg. Brock has Kabuto/Omanyte/Onix or whatever)
I just want it to be fresh, have it be a new experience. Not just a rehash of something I'm personally done with.

deoxys 08-05-2015 07:29 PM

Kanto is only boring in the minds of people such as yourself because it was basic. It laid the ground work for Pokemon as a whole. There is hardly any story narrative and what little there is isn't very good, and every city was essentially the same with very slight variations. The most interesting aspects of Kanto were arguably Safari Zone, S.S. Anne, Lavender Tower, Seafoam Islands, Unknown Dungeon, and Silph Co. Everything else was a rehash of everything else due to limited assets and time, and even those that I just listed weren't particularly interesting. In Gen II, Kanto got even worse due to being smaller and having less overall points of interest.

This is why a lot of people call Kanto boring and are left with a bad taste in their mouth over it because they're sick and tired of it, but let me explain why I don't feel you're not being open minded enough:

First imagine Kanto re-done entirely in 3D. The first big notable change would be Mt. Moon. Re-work it into something much more interesting, show the gaping hole in the cave ceiling and interaction with the presumably giant moon stone the Clefairy worship. Imagine Nugget Bridge at a different angle, much larger with Unknown Dungeon/Cerulean Cave in the distance. Imagine getting to Cerulean Cape and seeing Bill's lighthouse and a gorgeous sunrise on the shore in the dawn. How about the S.S. Anne, multiple levels and decks, feeling much more interesting over all and perhaps a new side story added where you are on board as the ship sails out to sea during a terrible storm and Team Rocket attempts to take control of the ship (a la the anime). Again, imagine Saffron City totally revamped from the ground up to be the new "hub city" like Lumiose City, Silph Co. at it's center, a skyscraper looming over the rest.

Now if you can imagine all of these things, imagine what they could do with the rest of the region and game. Cinnabar Island would be completely different and much, much bigger.

Of course, this is GameFreak, so it's likely a lot of my suggestions would not come to fruition, but regardless, this is why I am totally in favor of a Kanto remake, barring they do some serious work to it and overhaul the region in terms of size, story, and things to do.

RealMrGame10 08-05-2015 08:40 PM

I am against a Kanto remake for this gen.

Yes, there's a lot of new and cool things, and they could definitely make it good, but I think that having a Kanto remake like ORAS would leave a bad taste in people's mouths. If it's gonna happen, let's just wait, I see no reason to rush it.

Stealthy 08-05-2015 11:50 PM

Gen 1 Best 1

Just find a good way to do an expansion and we're good.

Sparkbeat 08-06-2015 02:27 AM

My original comment was less "I'd like to see a Kanto remake" and more saying I think one is in the works. My main reason for this was that there's is no Kanto based game (HG/SS don't count) on the DS line of systems. The 3DS's no longer support Gameboy games in any way (to my knowledge). I have a feeling Nintendo would like to keep a main series game in each region on their main handheld device.

Plus they'd be dumb not to take advantage of all the Gen 1 nostalgia that's been building up for the past few years.

dirkac 08-06-2015 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deoxys (Post 701746)
Kanto is only boring in the minds of people such as yourself because it was basic. It laid the ground work for Pokemon as a whole. There is hardly any story narrative and what little there is isn't very good, and every city was essentially the same with very slight variations. The most interesting aspects of Kanto were arguably Safari Zone, S.S. Anne, Lavender Tower, Seafoam Islands, Unknown Dungeon, and Silph Co. Everything else was a rehash of everything else due to limited assets and time, and even those that I just listed weren't particularly interesting. In Gen II, Kanto got even worse due to being smaller and having less overall points of interest.

This is why a lot of people call Kanto boring and are left with a bad taste in their mouth over it because they're sick and tired of it, but let me explain why I don't feel you're not being open minded enough:

First imagine Kanto re-done entirely in 3D. The first big notable change would be Mt. Moon. Re-work it into something much more interesting, show the gaping hole in the cave ceiling and interaction with the presumably giant moon stone the Clefairy worship. Imagine Nugget Bridge at a different angle, much larger with Unknown Dungeon/Cerulean Cave in the distance. Imagine getting to Cerulean Cape and seeing Bill's lighthouse and a gorgeous sunrise on the shore in the dawn. How about the S.S. Anne, multiple levels and decks, feeling much more interesting over all and perhaps a new side story added where you are on board as the ship sails out to sea during a terrible storm and Team Rocket attempts to take control of the ship (a la the anime). Again, imagine Saffron City totally revamped from the ground up to be the new "hub city" like Lumiose City, Silph Co. at it's center, a skyscraper looming over the rest.

Now if you can imagine all of these things, imagine what they could do with the rest of the region and game. Cinnabar Island would be completely different and much, much bigger.

Of course, this is GameFreak, so it's likely a lot of my suggestions would not come to fruition, but regardless, this is why I am totally in favor of a Kanto remake, barring they do some serious work to it and overhaul the region in terms of size, story, and things to do.

Remember though we already got to revisit Kanto in Gen IV. Which had psuedo-3D. And could have implemented what you said but didn't.

I also realize it's basic because it's the first, but in comparison to newer Regions it's incredibly bland and in general unfun for me to play. Also doesn't help no Gen I Pokémon even ranks on my favourite lists.

Furthermore, everything you just said. Could apply to any Region. Sinoh's caves were all ridiculously reminiscent of eachother, Hoenn never looked like an actual jungle, not even in 3D. Kalos and Johto are the only Regions which actually had diverse areas imo, so if they were able to bring Johto to life for HGSS, why couldn't they do so for Kanto as well?



Also, while all of your suggestions were mainly graphical (except for the SS Anne thing which seems ridiculous to me, sorry), it doesn't solve what I think are the main problems: shitty story and terrible music.

Lanturn 08-06-2015 05:18 AM

Remake of FRLG? No thanks. "x years after original Kanto" game? Sure. I'd buy it.

Honestly, my gripe with Kanto is that it is indeed too basic. While I do understand that the last time it was properly visited as the main region was Gen 3, Emerald showed that even on the GBA, it had the capabilities to revamp Kanto greatly, at least in terms of post-game content. Sevii Islands hardly did the trick, imo, and there was a disappointing lack of post-game content. I'm somewhat dubious that Gamefreak wouldn't just do the same thing, or have the post-game contents limited. I feel that have a sequel to the original FRLG is pretty fun and probably more interesting than a "Graphic +++ FRLG with a little bit more post-game content". Fun nods here and there are certainly cool, and I think it'll help the team actually completely change the plotline. Seriously, with RBY, GSC, FRLG and HGSS just milking Team Rocket to death with their world domination plot, I think it's due time for a little bit change to Kanto's villain team, or at least, just change the plot/goals and alter the storyline, preferably totally.

Mercutio 08-06-2015 05:45 AM

Can we just take over Gamefreak and release the prequel-MMO set 100 years ago where you can travel to all regions and fight in the huge apocalyptic war that we all know has happened?

Lanturn 08-06-2015 06:51 AM

But that means combining 6+ games into one and not necessarily earning 6+ times more xd

Mercutio 08-06-2015 07:37 AM

People would shower us with money and women.

Lanturn 08-06-2015 08:19 AM

rip PG13

Missingno. Master 08-06-2015 09:21 AM

I'm all for a Kanto remake. First, it'd be fitting for the 20th anniversary of Pokémon which is coming up. Second, given that FR/LG came out after R/S, this would be a fitting time for another Kanto remake to come out. And I have several ideas for what a Kanto remake could potentially have (warning- long list);

Spoiler: show
  • The Sevii Islands as a whole is put into the main storyline- that is to say, the postgame stuff is put into the pre-Elite 4 part of the storyline, taking place right after the first portion with the first three islands, reworked slightly so that Team Rocket's disbanding (which wouldn't have happened yet, this being before you get the Earth Badge) isn't playing a key role. You would get the National Dex along with the Rainbow Pass.
  • In the post-game, you can visit Johto, get a look at what it was like three years prior to the events of HG/SS (I'd imagine Jasmine would still specialize in Rock-types, the Radio Tower would still be under construction, and so forth). After beating all of Johto's Gym Leaders, you'd be granted access to the Orange Islands. I mean, yes, the Orange League in and of itself wouldn't make for a satisfying game, but it's got definite potential for fun postgame activity. Drake, the Orange League Champion, would be the game's final boss, essentially.
  • The Game Corner would be pretty much the same as in the originals, just with the slots replaced with whatever non-gambling game they gotta put in. Just so long as we can still buy coins- that was the big problem with HG/SS's Game Corner, IMO.
  • The PWT would make a comeback, and would be situated on Two Island, in place of the Joyful Game Corner, and would be accessible once you rescue Lostelle from the Hypno. It'd include Gym Leaders, Champions, Elite 4 members, type-specific tournaments, all that good stuff.
  • Upon your first visit to the Safari Zone, you are given the Safari Card, which keeps track of Safari Points. You gain Safari Points by catching Pokémon in the Safari Zone, the amount varying with the Pokémon's rarity (for example, catching a Paras would be worth one or two points, whereas catching a Chansey would net you 25 points easily, and Shininess would also be taken into account here). You would also be given 50 Safari Points along with the HM03 as part of your reward for finding the Secret House. In the entrance to the Safari Zone, you will be able to exchange Safari Points for certain privileges (more Safari Balls per visit, more allowed steps, enhanced catch rate, the possibility of getting Hidden Abilities, opening up new areas with Pokémon from other regions, discounts on the entrance fee, and so forth). You would also be able to buy a key that activates a warp system that lets you teleport between any of the Rest Houses, and a pass that lets you shop at a Safari Zone souvenir stand, which would sell numerous rare items, including Safari Balls for use outside of the Safari Zone.
  • DexNav, BuzzNav, PlayNav, and AreaNav all return as features of the Pokédex, which is relocated to the touch screen, allowing you to look up Pokémon without leaving the overworld. DexNav is given by one of Oak's aides once you've caught 20 Pokémon; BuzzNav is given by the old man in Viridian City after he catches a Weedle, and is reworked to provide Teachy TV-esque tutorials in addition to its other features; PlayNav is in the Pokédex from the start; AreaNav is given by Daisy Oak in place of the Town Map, and is upgraded by Celio as needed during the Sevii Islands portion of the storyline.
  • The old man's tutorial is mandatory only if you haven't caught any Pokémon by the time you get to him after he's had his coffee. If you already caught something, you can decline to watch the tutorial. Either way, he'll offer to show you each time you talk to him. The Weedle would be Shiny-locked.
  • If you talk to the sailor guarding Vermilion Harbor with a Mew in your party after the S.S. Anne set sail, he'll let you through. Using Strength to move the truck will reveal either Mew's Mega Stone or a TM containing a special move only teachable to Mew that would enable it to Mega Evolve.
  • Articuno and Zapdos would be in their usual spots; Moltres would be back in Victory Road, like in the originals; if beaten, they would be rebattleable at Ice Island, Lightning Island, and Fire Island, respectively; Mewtwo is, of course, in Cerulean Cave; Raikou, Entei, and Suicune would be awoken in the Burned Tower, and will each roam a different area- Raikou would roam Johto, Entei would roam Kanto, and Suicune would roam the Sevii Islands (and the Orange Islands if not caught by the time they're unlocked); bringing Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres to Shamouti Island would allow you to catch Lugia; bringing Raikou, Entei, and Suicune to Mt. Ember would allow you to battle Ho-Oh; Cresselia would be in Mt. Moon after beating the Elite 4; Darkrai would be in Rock Tunnel after beating the Elite 4 if you have Cresselia on hand; a Manaphy Egg is hidden somewhere in the Whirl Islands.

RealMrGame10 08-06-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missingno. Master (Post 701856)
I'm all for a Kanto remake. First, it'd be fitting for the 20th anniversary of Pokémon which is coming up. Second, given that FR/LG came out after R/S, this would be a fitting time for another Kanto remake to come out. And I have several ideas for what a Kanto remake could potentially have (warning- long list);

Spoiler: show
  • The Sevii Islands as a whole is put into the main storyline- that is to say, the postgame stuff is put into the pre-Elite 4 part of the storyline, taking place right after the first portion with the first three islands, reworked slightly so that Team Rocket's disbanding (which wouldn't have happened yet, this being before you get the Earth Badge) isn't playing a key role. You would get the National Dex along with the Rainbow Pass.
  • In the post-game, you can visit Johto, get a look at what it was like three years prior to the events of HG/SS (I'd imagine Jasmine would still specialize in Rock-types, the Radio Tower would still be under construction, and so forth). After beating all of Johto's Gym Leaders, you'd be granted access to the Orange Islands. I mean, yes, the Orange League in and of itself wouldn't make for a satisfying game, but it's got definite potential for fun postgame activity. Drake, the Orange League Champion, would be the game's final boss, essentially.
  • The Game Corner would be pretty much the same as in the originals, just with the slots replaced with whatever non-gambling game they gotta put in. Just so long as we can still buy coins- that was the big problem with HG/SS's Game Corner, IMO.
  • The PWT would make a comeback, and would be situated on Two Island, in place of the Joyful Game Corner, and would be accessible once you rescue Lostelle from the Hypno. It'd include Gym Leaders, Champions, Elite 4 members, type-specific tournaments, all that good stuff.
  • Upon your first visit to the Safari Zone, you are given the Safari Card, which keeps track of Safari Points. You gain Safari Points by catching Pokémon in the Safari Zone, the amount varying with the Pokémon's rarity (for example, catching a Paras would be worth one or two points, whereas catching a Chansey would net you 25 points easily, and Shininess would also be taken into account here). You would also be given 50 Safari Points along with the HM03 as part of your reward for finding the Secret House. In the entrance to the Safari Zone, you will be able to exchange Safari Points for certain privileges (more Safari Balls per visit, more allowed steps, enhanced catch rate, the possibility of getting Hidden Abilities, opening up new areas with Pokémon from other regions, discounts on the entrance fee, and so forth). You would also be able to buy a key that activates a warp system that lets you teleport between any of the Rest Houses, and a pass that lets you shop at a Safari Zone souvenir stand, which would sell numerous rare items, including Safari Balls for use outside of the Safari Zone.
  • DexNav, BuzzNav, PlayNav, and AreaNav all return as features of the Pokédex, which is relocated to the touch screen, allowing you to look up Pokémon without leaving the overworld. DexNav is given by one of Oak's aides once you've caught 20 Pokémon; BuzzNav is given by the old man in Viridian City after he catches a Weedle, and is reworked to provide Teachy TV-esque tutorials in addition to its other features; PlayNav is in the Pokédex from the start; AreaNav is given by Daisy Oak in place of the Town Map, and is upgraded by Celio as needed during the Sevii Islands portion of the storyline.
  • The old man's tutorial is mandatory only if you haven't caught any Pokémon by the time you get to him after he's had his coffee. If you already caught something, you can decline to watch the tutorial. Either way, he'll offer to show you each time you talk to him. The Weedle would be Shiny-locked.
  • If you talk to the sailor guarding Vermilion Harbor with a Mew in your party after the S.S. Anne set sail, he'll let you through. Using Strength to move the truck will reveal either Mew's Mega Stone or a TM containing a special move only teachable to Mew that would enable it to Mega Evolve.
  • Articuno and Zapdos would be in their usual spots; Moltres would be back in Victory Road, like in the originals; if beaten, they would be rebattleable at Ice Island, Lightning Island, and Fire Island, respectively; Mewtwo is, of course, in Cerulean Cave; Raikou, Entei, and Suicune would be awoken in the Burned Tower, and will each roam a different area- Raikou would roam Johto, Entei would roam Kanto, and Suicune would roam the Sevii Islands (and the Orange Islands if not caught by the time they're unlocked); bringing Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres to Shamouti Island would allow you to catch Lugia; bringing Raikou, Entei, and Suicune to Mt. Ember would allow you to battle Ho-Oh; Cresselia would be in Mt. Moon after beating the Elite 4; Darkrai would be in Rock Tunnel after beating the Elite 4 if you have Cresselia on hand; a Manaphy Egg is hidden somewhere in the Whirl Islands.

The only thing I got from this was "Mega Mew"

RIP PASBL

Anyway if they do use this as an excuse to give us access to event-only Pokes I'll take it but I'm still wary

Ironthunder 08-06-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirkac (Post 701685)
I say fuck Kanto forever and let us never visit back the most boring Region.

Hoenn and Unova say hello.

But anyway. I kinda would like a remake of these games, and I think it will happen, not because some fans want it or anything, but because it'd probably be a huge-ass money-spinner for Nintendo. They'll either remake it or (long shot) they'll release the originals on VC. Probably the former.

dirkac 08-06-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironthunder (Post 701907)
Hoenn and Unova say hello.

But anyway. I kinda would like a remake of these games, and I think it will happen, not because some fans want it or anything, but because it'd probably be a huge-ass money-spinner for Nintendo. They'll either remake it or (long shot) they'll release the originals on VC. Probably the former.

Yeah Unova was also massively bland.
Hoenn and Johto are tied for middle though, they're not as terrible as Kanto or Unova but aren't as good as Kalos or Sinnoh imo

Actually no scratch Hoenn is awesome and so is Johto


Also yeah remaking Kanto will be a massive cash grab no matter what because lolfirst

Ironthunder 08-06-2015 02:40 PM

Meh. I liked Unova objectively because I liked most all of the mons from there, but after playing a game/remake from each gen (FR/LG, HG, OR, DPPt, W+W2, Y), I have to say that the FRLG Kanto was actually a pretty cool area, and one of my top 3 regions, after Sinnoh (because first game and all, plus there was a good bit of exploring to do) and Unova (I just enjoyed the area massively for some reason). Hoenn still ranks worst (I'd rather have my bollocks stapled to a wall), below Kalos (Meh.) and Johto (Nice try, but not really memorable enough).

tl;dr
Unova>Sinnoh>Kanto>Johto>Kalos>Hoenn for me, I want a gen 1 remake/rerelease, I want it for next year please.

deoxys 08-06-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirkac (Post 701817)
Remember though we already got to revisit Kanto in Gen IV. Which had psuedo-3D. And could have implemented what you said but didn't.


Doesn't count, it was the Kanto remake from Gen II, which is incredibly small and not interesting (ie: trash). Also it doesn't count because that was two whole generations before they started implementing REAL 3D as opposed to pseudo-3D. I'm sorry but this is just a poor argument for those reasons alone. Hell, they didn't even start doing "hub cities" until Castellia in Gen V.


Quote:

I also realize it's basic because it's the first, but in comparison to newer Regions it's incredibly bland and in general unfun for me to play. Also doesn't help no Gen I Pokémon even ranks on my favourite lists.

Again, everything you just said here could be completely negated with a total "reboot" of the Kanto we currently know. Bigger, more interesting, more vibrant, all of these things would get rid of the "totally bland" feeling. Honestly, Kanto isn't that bland, it's core issues lie in how small it is (seriously, it's really fucking small), and how we've already played through it for four gens straight. What I am suggesting would essentially be a reboot of the region - same region, but under completely different circumstances.


Quote:

Furthermore, everything you just said. Could apply to any Region. Sinoh's caves were all ridiculously reminiscent of eachother, Hoenn never looked like an actual jungle, not even in 3D. Kalos and Johto are the only Regions which actually had diverse areas imo, so if they were able to bring Johto to life for HGSS, why couldn't they do so for Kanto as well?

I disagree, but maybe that's just personal taste. Johto and Kanto were about as "brought to life" as a remake of GSC would allow. HGSS were great, but I guess I'm missing your point. This to me sounds like you just prefer Gen 6 and Gen 2 over the rest, which I don't disagree with because I feel the same way as well. However I would argue that ORAS did a fantastic job of showing Hoenn in a totally new light. Gen 3 is my least favorite gen, and I found ORAS to be quite a breath of fresh air, the one I needed to enjoy Hoenn again. I think they did a really good job at giving it new life.



Quote:

Also, while all of your suggestions were mainly graphical (except for the SS Anne thing which seems ridiculous to me, sorry), it doesn't solve what I think are the main problems: shitty story and terrible music.
>terrible music.


>terrible


http://i.imgur.com/4QiCH76.jpg

dirkac 08-07-2015 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deoxys (Post 701976)
Doesn't count, it was the Kanto remake from Gen II, which is incredibly small and not interesting (ie: trash). Also it doesn't count because that was two whole generations before they started implementing REAL 3D as opposed to pseudo-3D. I'm sorry but this is just a poor argument for those reasons alone. Hell, they didn't even start doing "hub cities" until Castellia in Gen V.





Again, everything you just said here could be completely negated with a total "reboot" of the Kanto we currently know. Bigger, more interesting, more vibrant, all of these things would get rid of the "totally bland" feeling. Honestly, Kanto isn't that bland, it's core issues lie in how small it is (seriously, it's really fucking small), and how we've already played through it for four gens straight. What I am suggesting would essentially be a reboot of the region - same region, but under completely different circumstances.





I disagree, but maybe that's just personal taste. Johto and Kanto were about as "brought to life" as a remake of GSC would allow. HGSS were great, but I guess I'm missing your point. This to me sounds like you just prefer Gen 6 and Gen 2 over the rest, which I don't disagree with because I feel the same way as well. However I would argue that ORAS did a fantastic job of showing Hoenn in a totally new light. Gen 3 is my least favorite gen, and I found ORAS to be quite a breath of fresh air, the one I needed to enjoy Hoenn again. I think they did a really good job at giving it new life.





>terrible music.


>terrible


http://i.imgur.com/4QiCH76.jpg

Except it isn't. HGSS' Kanto is much more expansive than original Kanto, GSC Kanto, or FRLG Kanto. HGSS' Kanto is pretty definitely the best, but unlike Johto, it wasn't made interesting. It remained equally bland.

If it's a total reboot of Kanto then every single discussion point gets thrown out of the window because a reboot of Kanto mwans it isn't Kanto anymore.

See the thing is diversity. While in Johto for instance Dark Cave is vastly different from Ice Path and generally each point of interest is different than the previous. In Kalos eveey single Route looks unique (except I guess 14/15/16). The others don't have that. In Kanto every single area looks the exact same, with HGSS making some landmarks, Hoenn has zero sea-based landmarks except for currents, Pacifidlog, Sootopolis, Mossdeep, and occasionally Mirage Island, Sinnoh is samey everywhere that doesn't have a specific theme (though most areas have a theme) and Unova I just don't like.

Despite that, Sinnoh and Gen IV are my favourite Region/Gen, because of the story, characters, Pokémon most definitely, and yes, the music. Tbh all of those to me play a much bigger role than the Region. While yes, if a Region is bland it can be trudging to play through, outside some areas you like, if the story is bad or the Pokémon disiinteresting you wouldn't play it. The difference between Kanto and the aforemented Sinnoh, though, is everything I just said. Sinnoh's plot imo is great, while Kanto's doesn't exist. The characters in Sinnoh imo were genuinely interesting while I wasn't invested in Kanto's at all. Gen IV's Pokémon are overall my favourite, while I already explained Gen I's rank really low. And yeah, I did not like Kanto's music. At all. About the only theme I dound mildly interesting was the Gym Leader Battle Theme, and that the Champion theme was better than Gen II's :I
But why would I listen to any of Kanto's themes when Kalos and Sinnoh have sountracks I vastly prefer?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.