Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 117
  1. Schadenfreude
    07-13-2015 10:37 PM
    Schadenfreude
    Shhhhhh.
  2. SoS
    07-13-2015 03:45 PM
    SoS
    British press is 100% no better. Though sometimes you get glorious responses to it. EX. Amanda Palmer's "Dear Daily Mail" song. Look it up. NSFW...

... Also that's a Survivor QT link.
  3. Schadenfreude
    07-12-2015 07:50 AM
    Schadenfreude
    Screw the American Press, etc etc

I'll just quote the Sun and Mirror reference from Lily Allen.
  4. SoS
    07-12-2015 07:30 AM
    SoS
    Ah I understand better now. Perhaps should've thought that through a bit more, just bad at kneejerk reactions sometimes. And don't get me started on media holy shit I'll just break.
  5. Schadenfreude
    07-12-2015 07:17 AM
    Schadenfreude
    Either way, celebrating coming out as a proud lesbian right as your closeted father kills himself sounds like joy and ouch at the same time. Talk about poor timing. D:

And tl;dr, lol, the media can suck.
  6. Schadenfreude
    07-12-2015 07:16 AM
    Schadenfreude
    I don't think she was trying to be pompous? It seems weird at first, but what she means is that she feels that Fun Home is about her dad and his struggles with his own homosexuality rather than her own story. And she feels great sorrow and angst that he isn't alive to tell the story himself. She said in an interview that all the questions she gets in interviews about whether she feel "proud" and "happy" about the awards she is getting for an "autobiography" make her feel bittersweet. Bechdel was saying that she didn't like the idea of people think she was profiting from her father's death, if that makes sense?

All of this stuff makes far more sense when you consider how utterly ridiculous, ill-informed, and insensitive the American Press can be. Not that the Sun and Mirror are cakewalks, lol
  7. SoS
    07-11-2015 03:26 PM
    SoS
    That sounds super weird. And Bechdel doesn't make herself sound pompous at ALL there...

I will check it out when I am free.
  8. Schadenfreude
    07-11-2015 07:58 AM
    Schadenfreude
    It's hard to describe! Because it features dream sequences and is semi-autographical, whatever that means. Either way, it's an award-winning graphic novel/comic (?) which is about her relationship with her father more than about herself. If that makes any sense? Bechdel shies away from using the term "autobiography", because she finds that term heavily "self-aggrandising" and egotistical. LOL

...Anyway, doesn't matter what it is supposed to be. It's good, funny, and was nominated for a Pulitzer, like Next to Normal, so that's that!
  9. SoS
    07-10-2015 05:15 PM
    SoS
    ... So when you say it's based off a book you mean her life/biography. That would probably have been pertinent!
  10. Schadenfreude
    07-10-2015 08:42 AM
    Schadenfreude
    A musical about an aspiring writer (Bechdel) who grows up in a funeral home managed by her uptight father who then comes out of the closet and kills himself, only days after she comes out publicly as being a proud lesbian. Yeah, sounds like a Fun home (so many puns). So many layers, lol.

I've seen Next to Normal. Can't talk; too busy crying.