UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Ironthunder

Conversation Between Ironthunder and Aposteriori
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 16
  1. Aposteriori
    06-03-2016 09:07 AM
    Aposteriori
    So with that being said: reffing is learning process and requires just a bit of retooling of words. Observe the ones that are doing it the best like Current!Connor or Jeri in the past. They said few words but they are precise with what they are saying.

If it is hard, well you dont have to be perfect which is why D grade exist and why people dont mind handing levellers to D graded refs.
  2. Ironthunder
    06-03-2016 09:04 AM
    Ironthunder
    Oops, I forgot.

Reffing is hard, especially what with the quality expectations. I have problems dragging my reffings beyond two or three sentences. The hardest bit of reffing is the writing it out, the actual calcs and RNGs aren't too terrible.
  3. Aposteriori
    06-03-2016 09:01 AM
    Aposteriori
    Everything is waiting on me. Im on TA until tomorrow.

Reffing is hard? Not really. Learning how to ref goes in hand with learning how to battle. Seeing both sides of the coin helps you grasp the game in a much wider angle. If you cannot ref, the league will respect that, but you cannot feel entitled to hold 4 matches. 3 standard matches are still a good number, you are gaining 9 KOes if all three are 3v3.
  4. Ironthunder
    06-03-2016 08:57 AM
    Ironthunder
    Yes but it's not always due to lack of time. Reffing is hard. Good quality reffing is harder. Some people probably can't commit to the month or so it takes to ref a match. I mean, I do actually ref a lot when I'm not on a break for exams (which I am atm), so it doesn't really affect me, but I'm not a huge fan of people having to lose their battle slots because they haven't got the time and frequent access required to ref a full match.

Also Apos I think me v goose is waiting on you, while we're talking about reffing.
  5. Aposteriori
    06-03-2016 08:51 AM
    Aposteriori
    4/6: Jeri gave a great explanation to 4/6 and why he axed it. Check TO. You dont get to simply abuse 4/6, gain 6 KOes during doubles in a possible 6 round match, and then have the ref claim 18 SP. That is all absurd and abusable. 4/6, pokemon can die to 2-3 moves. In doubles you gain the use of 4 moves. You can have alternating breaks and finish the match in a possible 6 round manner.

The reffing situation: Connor does not need 15+ matches, TFK with 10+, me with 8+, and MTG with 10+ to function as a league. Everyone needs to pick up the weight. Everyone should ref at least 1 match as a service back to the league. Nowadays we get 4 battle slots, 1 exhibition, 1 gym challenge, and then as a gym leader two more slots. Thats too much and not sustainable. It is not thankless, it is self serving because you get to use that SP earned to purchase items or additional battle slots. If you dont want to ref due to lack of time, one less battle slot wont hinder your overall progression.
  6. Ironthunder
    06-03-2016 08:39 AM
    Ironthunder
    yes but a lot of the time I'm not entirely sure why all the shit is being changed. for example, there's nothing wrong in my mind with Roost as it is. 4/6, that wasn't a problem because the community as a whole had sort of stopped using it except for a couple of isolated matches, which were usually longer ones in which the challenger wanted to be sure that the battle would end. The whole 'fourth battle slot being for active refs only' thing which doesn't help because reffing is one of the most cheerless and thankless tasks on this planet, right up their with trash collectors and street sweepers.

basically it's not the way it's being said, it's what's actually being said.
  7. Aposteriori
    06-03-2016 08:21 AM
    Aposteriori
    You ought to realize that the discussions are not the same that were being have in 3 months ago. People are disagreeing but no one is being cut throat. If you see conflicting or opposite ideas, people are being respectful and not imposing their viewpoint. Jeri is doing a much better job a moderating the conversations
  8. Ironthunder
    06-03-2016 08:15 AM
    Ironthunder
    Honestly, I just felt like throwing two cents in at the time I wrote that, which was before I scrolled and read Jeri's. I also tend to avoid S/I after putting in the initial inputs, because it's a hell-hole and it kills me slowly every single time.
  9. Aposteriori
    06-03-2016 08:11 AM
    Aposteriori
    did you miss the memo? move discussions will be moved to the appropriate thread.
  10. Aposteriori
    02-28-2016 11:11 AM
    Aposteriori
    Do you have a battle slot? Against JAU you stand a fair chance given that you both are about the same battling level in terms of skills.